Meet Your GrapeRadio Crew

Grape Radio crew
Meet Jay , Leigh and Brian, the hosts of Grape Radio.

In this first episode, you’ll meet the people behind GrapeRadio.com and find out about their passion for wine. Stay tuned for new people, fun and news covering the many aspects of the Noble Grape. Come enjoy a glass with us.

24 Responses to “Meet Your GrapeRadio Crew”

1. 1 Olivier Jan 20th, 2005 at 3:19 pm

Hi guys !

Merry much thanks for your show ! I’m much interested in discovering te wine, and much more from experience. Well, I don’t currently drink wine on a regular basis. What is much interest me is the view from foreign people about wine.

You maybe wonder why… Simply, because I’m french… ahum.. and from Bordeaux… double ahum :) Even living in that beautifull area, I’m not into wine. But so many people are supposing that as I’m coming from a wine area, I’m an encyclopdia :p

So, I’m forced to know a little about wines. I discover lately that the french sellers are really uncommercial, or they don’t want know that foreign wines exists and may be the same quality as ours… (This make me really sad, and I honestly woud be really happy if they get some kick in the butt to wake them up !)

Ok, then… you’re more than welcome to make a french guy from Bordeaux discover nice wines :)

Thanks :) Greeings from Bordeaux !

Olivier

2. 2 Brian Clark Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for the post. We are all excited to share our passion for wine. Lets face it wine can be an imposing thing, especially with all the different choices out there. Our goal is to make it all a little easier while having fun at the same time.

Please keep listening we have just concluded the next show and it should be up soon.

Brian

3. 3 Jack Mackenzie Jan 20th, 2005 at 10:40 pm

I’m a novice, but…uhm…shall we say an enthusiastic novice. Looking forward to your ‘Casts and podding along listening to Content I want to know more about. I really got hooked on the mysteries and unplumbed depths of wine appreciation when I succesfully chef’d this menu – http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/menus/feast – and my guests stepped up and contributed the wines suggested for each course. It was an eye-popping experience discovering the harmony of tastes and how each wine complimented each course. Count me in, and tell me more! Cheers

4. 4 Brian Clark Jan 20th, 2005 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for the comment. You are correct, wine and food go hand and hand.

We have a 2 part series coming up on Italian wines and will discuss specifics on pairing combinations.

By the way that menu looked great, please no post like that right before dinner – I’m starving.

Brian

5. 5 Tim Jan 21st, 2005 at 3:17 pm

Hello Everybody,

I just listened to your first podcast after hearing a promo from Adam Curry’s show. Great idea for a show/podcast.

My wine background: Both my wife and I would like to be more involved with wine, but it’s hard to do with our 4, 6, and 9 year-old taking up most of our attention. We have a few friends with extensive wine collections and know the fun that a good bottle of wine can bring to any social gathering. We’ve taken a few classes which we’ve enjoyed, made a few trips to Napa/Sonoma which we’ve thoroughly enjoyed. The highlight of the past trips have been the release party at Silver Oak. $70 love in a bottle. So yes, we know the fun of including wine in our lives, but we seem so overwelmed with all of the varietals, wineries, and prices!!!!. Our local wine store grapevinemarket.com overwhelms us each time we go in. But to their credit, the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Our latest regular is a merlot from Napa Creek. We were introduced to this from our friends in the Bay Area. I’ve tried hard to get my hands on the wine, but I can’t find it anywhere/or on the web. So lately our friends have been our “distributors”. So this is what we’re looking for in our lifes: A wine that is good, really good, that doesn’t break the
    bank <$20/btl. I find it very hard to go to a wine store and pay over
    $20 for a bottle that I know nothing about. I guess I need to take advantage of our local food market (tuscanymarketandvineyard.com) that has one of those “debit card/ push for single serving wine dealies”. This wine dispenser is stocked with wine at all price points, so you can enjoy a good glass of wine with little investment.

So yes, we want more wine in our life, but we find it awkward getting to that point. So I guess we just experiment, experiment, experiment.

For me coming from a craft beer/homebrewing background, it’s so easy to go to the refrigerator and opening a beer as opposed to opening a bottle of wine and feel that we have to finish the whole thing. (not that it’s a bad idea) I feel totally comfortable and informed standing in front of the beer case in a liquor store. I know quite a bit about what I’m looking at. But when it comes to wine, I feel like a deer in the headlights, wondering what the salesman is trying to push on me. Am I really getting value for this $35 bottle?

Hopefully this note will give you some ideas for future shows. Keep up the good work!

Tim
    Austin,TX

6. 6 Leigh Older Jan 21st, 2005 at 3:20 pm

Tim,
    Thanks for emailing in. I’m glad you are tuned in, as your situation describes the audience we hope to reach. We have so much brewing for the show, I think we could do one every day! We just finished taping this afternoon for a show on the wine retailing aspect of things. Tasting tips should be posted this week as an additional new show. I understand the over $20 ‘gamble’ and its hard when you haven’t been exposed to the wine before buying. The show on tastings may help you sort some of this out. Also check out Tim’s show where he gets specific about certain wines you will find at retailers. Tim, would you be willing to post something on the blog to get things going? We had the blog closed on accident related to this show and there isn’t anything going on there yet. BTW, check out one of my personal ‘value’ faves…www.tobinjames.com. Killer wines, reasonable prices and they have the biggest wine club in North America. Its not by accident. Truly one of the best value wines california has to offer.

Leigh

7. 7 hank Jan 22nd, 2005 at 12:47 am

Great sounding program with entertaining style!
    I do not buy wine a lot, not because I don’t like it, but because I don’t know which to get or much about what to look for. I hope your broadcasts will enlighten me (I didn’t say Podcast because I use a PC and your MP3 link). My wife likes the “sweeter” wines, but I like them less sugary (not TOO tart, mind you). Without becoming a promoter of certain wine, I hope that you can make it a little easier for us to pick out a wine when we go shopping.
    Frugal Gourmet on wine (paraphrasing): If it isn’t worth drinking, it isn’t worth cooking with.

8. 8 Brian Jan 22nd, 2005 at 1:07 pm

It really can be confusion without a little help. I hope over the next few weeks / months we can make it easier.

Feel free to call our audio line 206-33-WINES, post or email anytime with questions. We are excited to help.

Brian

9. 9 Vincent Jan 28th, 2005 at 7:20 am

Great work folks! I greatly enjoyed both podcasts that I have heard so far (this one and the next one). I said as much on my blog but did not post here. Brian was kind enough to thank me for my blog mention and gently suggested I put a comment here too .

I have enjoyed wine personally and professionally for a long time. More personally of late but , in a prior life, I spent 10 years working for a great restaurant in Edmonton where I learned much about wine. Almost every weekday between lunch and dinner, the entire front of house staff would be engaged in a wine or spirit seminar. Was a wonderful time and we were able to experience some truly phenomenal wines.

I have listened to the audible version of the wine column from the Washingtion Post for a few years. I find your podcast much more immediate and available to me. Thanks for bringing back nice memories of the delicious and sensual world of wine.

I will keep listening.

Best regards,

Vincent

10. 10 Brian Clark Jan 28th, 2005 at 7:27 am

Thanks for the post Vincent. Please keep your comments coming. If you would like to have do any specific topics let us know by posting a note on the site or sending us and email.

Brian

11. 11 Lee Blattner Feb 3rd, 2005 at 3:20 pm

Show #4 is the best yet. I have to tell you, what I dig about your shows are they are approachable. No snobbery and no indiscernible insider’s lingo (which can be rather threatening to outsiders). It has the feel of an invitation into the wine community. Keep up the great shows.

12. 12 Brian Feb 7th, 2005 at 8:01 am
  13. 13 Paddy O'Connor Feb 9th, 2005 at 8:16 am

Hi Guys,
    I’m a 30 year old Irishman living just outside Tokyo, Japan. I’ve listened to a couple of your Podcasts on the (packed) train home. Great stuff – it took me off to another world. Myself and my wife have been drinking (red) wine almost daily since the mid-90s. I’ve read a couple of books and am keen to learn more. We tend to stick to the lower end of the market $10ish and normally aren’t that fussy. We’ve had a couple of bottles in the $50 range which we enjoyed – unfortunately I can’t remember their names! Out of curiosity what was the most expensive wine you have had and was it really worth it? Keep it up. Paddy

14. 14 Brian Clark Feb 9th, 2005 at 5:51 pm

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show. I have been very fortune over the last few years and had access to many high end bottles of wine. The expensive wines tend to be what are called cult wines from California (highly sought after) or first growth wines from France. Most of these wines tend to be in the $250+ range (per bottle). Are they worth it? Who knows, it’s nice to have once in a while but the big question is whether or not one of these bottles equals a case (12 bottles) of $25 wine. Sometimes yes – sometimes no. Sometimes just the luck of the draw.

Brian

15. 15 Pedro Feb 19th, 2005 at 6:24 am

Hi winelovers, either amateurs or professionals or very fond of wine, a question for all of you that can answer:
    How do you rate spanish Rioja red wine in relation to all others red wines: french, italian, german, chilean, argentinian, californian, etc?
    have a good wine and live!

Pedro

16. 16 Sean Feb 20th, 2005 at 11:54 am

Thanks for the great shows. Just found out about you all at winespectator.com and am really glad to have found another source for my wine knowledge.

17. 17 Jay Selman Feb 20th, 2005 at 2:04 pm

Pedro, I have no idea on how to answer your question. Each example you gave is unique in its own right. So many varietals and regions make it hard to compare. I cant even say I have a favorite from your choices, because I can find something I like from each. What have you tried? Tell me what you liked and/or disliked from each. For example, I just had a 2001 Tinto Pesquera (not the reserve). Had plenty of ripe fruit and at the same time complexity. I had it with an aged, bone-in ribeye. Yummm!

18. 18 Brian Clark Feb 20th, 2005 at 3:30 pm

Sean,

We will do our best to corrupt you. :-)

Brian Clark

19. 19 Juan Mauricio Jul 1st, 2005 at 2:16 pm

Hey Guys,

On my first adventure into the podcasting world, I downloaded your roundtable review of Sideways and loved it. Kudos on the great commentary!

I am a complete novice when it comes to wines but am right now downloading all your previous shows, starting from the beginning, and hoping to open my eyes (and palate) to wine. I have always been fascinated with wine but have no idea where to start. Besides your shows, which I intend to listen to, can you advise me of what other sources of information I may use to learn, starting from the most basic? (Online sources preferred as I don’t live in the states).

Thanks and keep up the great work.

JM

20. 20 Jay Selman Jul 7th, 2005 at 3:29 am

Tough question. There are a lot of books about wine that can lay a foundation for you. The wine boards like http://www.westcoastwine.net are “places” where you can just hang out and listen people talk about wine. After a while, you will feel at ease and start posting. Lastly, and this will sound crazy to you, but start a tasting group. Its ok if everyone is new to wine, and in some ways, even better. Pick a varietal and a region (i.e. California Cab), and do multiple tastings along that theme. Write down and talk about your perceptions. Do not worry about volcabulary. The more you experience the more knowledgeable you will become.

21. 21 Arnold Lehman Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:56 am

This is a great article

22. 22 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 16th, 2005 at 11:24 am

Thanks Arnold. I hop we can keep you interested.

23. 23 Pete Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:28 am

Some real good stuff here< although I like wine and also enjoy brewing my own I am nowhere near the level of knowledge I would like to be< but hopefully through this site I can expand on that. Keep up the good work

24. 24 denver chance Dec 2nd, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I only know a few people who have a passion for wine and I am very amazed with their wine stories. I am not a big fan of wine but whenever I do wine tasting with the experts, I feel I am in heaven.