Winemaker Spotlight: Greg Sanders, White Rose

White-Rose
White Rose Wine and Vineyard

Get up close and personal with an actual winemaker. Greg Sanders, Owner of White Rose Wines is our special guest. Greg discusses his personal approach, wine making operations, and much more.

The Oregon wine regions are producing world class wines. You can find more information about Greg’s wines at: White Rose Wines

(21:40min 10 MB)

9 Responses to “Winemaker Spotlight: Greg Sanders, White Rose”

1. 1 Keith F. Feb 9th, 2005 at 9:54 pm

I just listened to the show, Greg sounds very passionate about his wine. I have tried several Pinots from California and really enjoyed them. How do the Pinots from Oregon differ (if at all?)?.

Keep the shows coming I am learnign a lot.

Thanks again

Keith

2. 2 Greg Sanders Feb 10th, 2005 at 4:31 pm

In my passionate yet humble opinion, Oregon pinots rule! The cooler temperature in the later half of veraison allows the grapes to ripen in an atmosphere which keeps the true pinot characteristics around. In warm climates the flavors becomes, sweet, copious and obvious. What the hell is wrong with that? … you may ask. Nothing ! But why not drink a syrah? If you want to know the true romance of getting to know a woman that is coy, elegant, gentle, and whose perfumed refined creamy smooth scent lingers about you long after your first embrace, drink an Oregon pinot!
    Sure Even in Oregon many pinot experiences will leave you deflated and under whelmed but like love when you find the right one there is no greater high. May I presume to suggest that you try my White Rose Estate 02. It is a wonderful example of what I think great pinot noir should taste like… Greg Sanders

3. 3 Curtis Feb 11th, 2005 at 9:41 am

After listening to the program with Greg Sanders, i’m ready to at least give Pinot’s a shot. Your program was fun to listen too. Great format! I’ll be back for more.

4. 4 Lee Blattner Feb 11th, 2005 at 11:31 am

I just took a click over to Greg’s home page and saw some outstanding pics of the vineyard and surround country side (http://whiterosewines.com/). What an unbelievably beautiful place. Very enjoyable interview. There is nothing like hearing someone who is passionate about what they do and create. I’ll absolutely have to check it out.

5. 5 Brian Clark Feb 11th, 2005 at 12:17 pm

Curtis,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the show and more importantly we were able to inspire you to try something new. Pinot is unique and interesting. Make sure you try several to find the style you like because they offer such a wide range of taste.

Brian

6. 6 Randy Feb 19th, 2005 at 10:02 am

As an Oregon wine lover living on the east coast whose hobby is to travel the world over tasting wine, I have constantly each year come back to the Willamette Valley and to my most favorite varietal Pinot Noir. I was very interested in listening to Greg and his passion for making wine and although I have not tasted any of the White Rose wines, I will surely make it a priority during this years visit.

Randy

7. 7 Jay Selman Feb 19th, 2005 at 10:23 am

Randy, next time you visit Oregon, visit Greg’s winery and report back. The pictures on his WEB site are so beautiful. I would love to hear about your impressions.

8. 8 CJ Feb 25th, 2005 at 1:43 pm

Jay,

Based on the show I bought some Oregon Pinot. I was planning to have it with dinner this Sunday night. What are some good food pairings you can recommend. -CJ, San Jose

9. 9 Jay Selman Feb 25th, 2005 at 2:12 pm

Yo CJ, Finally somebody asked this question! Wine and food are my favorite subjects. The stock answer is salmon (try to get wild Vs farm raised). I agree they do match well. BTW, I am not a cook, but I like the salmon flavors to be highlighted so I do not add much in the way of sauces. A little bit of EVOO, salt, pepper is all thats needed. If you start adding robust sauces, you kind of lose the fish IMHO.
    I would lean towards a poached salmon Vs grilled.

Leigh mentioned beef tenderloin, in the broiler. Never tried that one, but I am willing to sacrifice a bottle in the name of research.

I am also a big fan of game birds with Pinot.

There is a price for this suggestion. Report back on your meal!