Winemaker Spotlight: Jeff Dobkin

thompkin.jpg
Jay Selman and Jeff Dobkin

Is there a doctor in the house? Doctors Jeff Dobkin and wife Julie Thompson have been bitten by the wine bug. The only cure appears to be the Cabernet Franc of their family wine called “Couchant”. Recently relocated, Thompkin Cellars grapes are grown in Santa Barbara and then processed and aged in their Costa Mesa, CA facility.

With future plans for a Syrah and Grenache this is a winery worth watching.

12 Responses to “Winemaker Spotlight: Jeff Dobkin”

1. 1 Hamilton Oaks Vineyard Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:55 am

I checked out the web site. VERY NICE. I enjoyed the interviews. Are you still planning to come over on Tuesday? Let me know.

(949) 459-6913.

Ron Tamez
    Hamilton Oaks Vineyard

2. 2 Jay Selman Feb 28th, 2005 at 1:44 pm

Ron, I have called and left msg. Please call me when time permits.
    Thanks for your kind words. Its hard to know if we are on the right track without this kind of input. It really means a great deal to us to get positive feedback in your comments and, I hope, your vote.

Jay Selman

3. 3 Lenn Thompson Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:11 am

Great interview and I love “meeting” fellow Cabernet Franc fans. I’ve never had a Cali version…but there are some very nice ones here on Long Island (and of course Loire).

Love hearing about the passion in small-producers…keep up the great work.

4. 4 Jeff Dobkin, Thompkin Cellars Mar 1st, 2005 at 1:59 pm

Lenn,
    Keep drinking up. We have enjoyed the LI variations on this varietal many times in the past. Will be sampling the Loire versions in Saumur at the end of the month. Should be delish!
    JD
    P.S. Go out and buy a CA version. We do it well too!

5. 5 Karl Smith Mar 3rd, 2005 at 9:02 am

I really liked hearing from the winemakers directly. Especially the small producers (read: up-and-coming stars).

So, now I want to try Tompkin’s CF. But I’m in AZ. Without driving to LA, how do I purchase some? Can it be found locally? Do you work with any distributors that I could order through?

6. 6 Jeff Dobkin Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:41 am

Karl,
    We (Thompkin Cellars) could ship the wine to you directly if you would like. If you want something short of a half-case (or maybe 4 bottles) I would encourage you to call Hi-Times Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa CA (9496508463) or the Wine Exchange (7149741454). Glad you enjoyed the show!
    Cheers
    Jeff Dobkin
    Thompkin Cellars

7. 7 Lenn Thompson Mar 5th, 2005 at 8:17 am

It sucks being in NY…impossible to get my hands on your wines (and those made by other tiny CA producers!)

8. 8 Jeff Dobkin Mar 5th, 2005 at 2:07 pm

Lenn,
    My guess is that is about to change. Stay tuned over the next few weeks as the Supreme Court rules on the archaic system that governs the interstate sales of wine.
    Jeff Dobkin
    Thompkin Cellars

9. 9 Barry T Mar 5th, 2005 at 4:39 pm

Can someone explain the difference between Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. If any?

Barry

10. 10 Jay Selman Mar 5th, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Barry, I am not sure how to answer your question, but I will give you my feeble attempt to answer the question. I frankly lack knowledge to answer your question in depth.
    Are you asking from a viniculture standpoint? If so, the two varietals are from the same family tree. They both are among the chief Bordeaux varietals. The flavor profiles are similar, but not exactly the same. Cab Franc, tends to be more aromatic (expressive) than Cab. I often think floral when I drink the wine. Lastly, since the varietals are grown in different regions, the varietals often differ in flavor profiles. What accounts for those differences? I have no idea if it’s the terrior or some other factor, which is way over my head.

11. 11 Lenn Thompson Mar 7th, 2005 at 12:39 pm

Jeff…I’ve been keeping my eye on the Supreme Court…trust me.

The second the ban is lifted…I’m ordering some wine from you. Save me some! ;)

12. 12 Jeff Dobkin, Thompkin Cellars Mar 7th, 2005 at 2:31 pm

Lenn,
    Will do! We’re all crossing our fingers.
    JD