Let’s Celebrate Champagne

veuve.jpg
Champagne is popular in many sizes.

Come join us along with guest Joanne Beamon, of the Moet Hennessy Corporation in exploring the effervescent drink that has delighted the world for the past two hundred years. Whether it’s French champagne or sparking wine we learn how bubbly is made and that it’s not just for toasting anymore.

You can find more information on Veuve-Clicquot at: Clicquot Inc.

If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:

Audio #45: The Business of Champagne
Audio #170: The Wines of Dom Perignon
Audio #175: Champagne with Veuve Clicquot
Video #31: Champagne Taittinger: A Walk Through the Cellars
Video #32: The Champage of Philipponnat
Audio #200: The Champagne of Krug

26 Responses to “Let’s Celebrate Champagne”

1. 1 Sean Mar 15th, 2005 at 6:56 am

Just a note, I have really enjoyed all of your shows, keep up the good work.

Thanks

2. 2 Jay Selman Mar 15th, 2005 at 7:25 am

Thanks Sean, we are trying real hard to keep things interesting. Any suggestions on future topics?

3. 3 Paul Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:29 pm

Thank you, very much I found the topic most interesting and even purchased a bottle of the Veuve-Clicquot. Very tasty!

4. 4 Sean Mar 15th, 2005 at 8:17 pm

Jay,

I sent an email to Brian tonight saying

“You have asked several of us on Winespectator.com and Vinocellar if there was anyone we wanted you to interview, well I have one. I spent a few minutes talking to Amelia Ceja tonight and what a wonderful women. As one of the only female owned wine makers out there I think she would be a great person for you to talk to.”

Hope this helps.

By the way I heard an interview with her on the radio a few months back and she does a very good job.

5. 5 Daniel Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:11 pm

I am not really much of a wine guy but I have always loved champagne, It was great hearing how the stuff is made. It sounds like a really involved process. Thanks for the great info, based on what I am learning I am starting to branch out and try new things.

Regards,

Dan

6. 6 Brian Clark Mar 18th, 2005 at 12:28 pm

I find that a lot of people who really don’t like wine, love champagne.

It’s a great start into wine and many people expand their horizons over time. Moving to chardonnay then Merlot, Cab, Zin and finally end up at Pinot.

Brian Clark

7. 7 bikram das Mar 19th, 2005 at 12:33 pm

This is a good site. I’n New Jersey. Actually I was looking CNN, when they mentioned your name. I’m a novice in the world of wine. I like semi sweet, and sweet wines. There is a vineyard & winery ‘Buckingham Vineyards’ in PA that produce this special sweet and semi sweet wines. They have some very nice smooth wines. Recently I had been to the Napa Valley (Robert Mondavi)…that was really cool..anyways, U guys are dong a great job…keep going. I do not have a ipod, so I listen to u when at home on my computer.

8. 8 Leigh Older Mar 19th, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Bikram,
    Thanks for checking out our site after seeing it on CNN, and for your comments. I like semi-sweet and sweeter wines with certain food pairings. Spicy dishes and sushi are nice compliments. Keep exploring!

Leigh Older

9. 9 Diana Mar 19th, 2005 at 2:07 pm

I was watching the GrapeRadio show on CNN and you got cut off by a breaking news story.

I hope to watch the complete show tomorrow. Next@CNN will run again this Sunday at 5:0pm EST.

Diana

10. 10 Brian Clark Mar 19th, 2005 at 2:24 pm

Yes, the show was cut short, but it (Next @ CNN) will run again tonight at 2:00am EST and tomorrow, Sunday at 5:00pm EST. It will also run again sometime next week on CNN with Aaron Brown.

Brian Clark
    Grape Radio

11. 11 Richard Albertson Mar 20th, 2005 at 12:41 pm

This was a great show. I love hearing about the process of making champagne. I have long enjoyed French Champagnes but recently have found a love for California sparkling wines. Schramsberg is one of my favorites, all of their wines are hand riddled, and they also offer a great cave tour. Their caves were dug over a hundred years ago by Chinese immigrates.

12. 12 Brian Clark Mar 20th, 2005 at 1:05 pm

I have been a long time fan of the sparkling wines from Schramsberg Vineyards. Located on Diamond Mountain in Calistoga (north of Napa) they offer a terrific tour concluding with a tasting of several wines – by appointment only.

They make a number of different wines: my favorite is the inexpensive (about $25 US) Blanc de Blanc (Chardonnay) which has a crisp taste of fresh green apples. The Blanc de Noir (Pinot Noir) usually exhibits a bit more of coffee notes is also a can’t miss. Addionaly, they offer Rose, Demi-Sec, and several Reserve wines from past vintages.

It was the first American sparkling wine served in the White House State Dinner (1972 Richard Nixon). Check out more info on their long history at http://www.schramsberg.com. If your going to Napa – Make an appointment here – It is a must see.

13. 13 Antonio Mar 23rd, 2005 at 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post a note saying how much I really enjoy your show. I cannot get enough of it, in fact. I would even pay for a subscription if it ever came to that. I am a wine novice and I find your show very approachable and educational. Keep up the great work.

This show on Champagne was great. I never knew just how complex a process this was. Excellent.

Some feedback, if I may. I found the sound in this show a bit inconsistent at times. When some of you guys spoke, I had to ride the volume of my iPod up and then when the guest spoke I had to turn the volume down. To me it sounded like your proximity to the microphones is what caused this sound fluctuation. Could you keep an eye on this in future podcasts?

Thanks again for a great show!

Antonio

14. 14 Leigh Older Mar 26th, 2005 at 2:23 am

Antonio,
    Thanks for the feedback on the audio. We are continuing to strive for the best and most even volume level possible, but sometimes we have fluctuations in the production. We are looking at getting headset mics instead of the fixed kind to help in the ability to move around and to also compliement the guests which may not have a lot of ‘mic experience’.

Regards,

Leigh Older

15. 15 Frank Roberts Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:05 pm

Great show. Love learning about making champagne. Makes me want to out a drink som bubblie. Keep up the good work.

16. 16 David Williams Jun 1st, 2005 at 8:23 am

I just wanted to say it was obvious that Joanne Beamon real knows her subject. She was able to answer all of your questions and demonstrated a real understanding of the champagne making process. This was a very informative show.
    David

17. 17 JM Wurmser Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:08 pm

Guys, I don’t know much about wine so I wanted to ask you:

Two years ago a friend gave us a bottle of 1996 Perrier Jouet champagne with the flowers painted on the bottle. I understand it’s about a $100 bottle so we are saving it for a special occasion.

I’m not sure if champagnes peak, so if they do, when is the ideal time to open this bottle? I’ll match the closest special occasion/anniversary to the peak date. Also, where can I find out when specific wines peak?

Thanks

18. 18 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:51 pm

All wines will peak at some point. As a general rule, whites will peak before reds. 1996 was a fantastic vintage for champagne so you are very lucky indeed. I find the 1996′s in a somewhat “closed” state. I would suggest you wait about a year before opening the bottle.

19. 19 Nick Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:09 am

Listening to this for the second time, I’m blown away with the atrocious information provided by this guest.

Historically, champagne had many grapes, and definitely not limited to the principle three. At least seven other grape varieties are allowed in champagne. Historically gamay, sixty years ago, was a principle component also.

Bubbles do not indicate quality, sorry.

Champagne only uses the first press? No sorry you are WRONG.

Rose is only made with the addition of still red? No, sorry again.

NVs don’t age? Sorry

Reputable champagne producers only strive for uniform flavor non vintage? This is incorrect. Look at Jacquesson, a very very reputable house…invented the metal cap over the cork, taught Krug founder how to make wine, was the favored champagne of Napolean, etc produces its principle nv numbered sequentially to highlight the changes in the nv from year to year…

1. 1 The Champagne of Philipponnat at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:22 am
  2. 2 Champagne Taittinger: A Walk Through the Cellars at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:56 am
  3. 3 The Business of Champagne at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:58 am
  4. 4 The Wines of Dom Pérignon at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:59 am
  5. 5 Champagne with Veuve Clicquot at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 10:01 am
  6. 6 The Champagne of Krug at Grape Radio pingback on May 27th, 2008 at 5:43 pm
  7. 7 The Champagne of Krug | iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması pingback on May 31st, 2008 at 10:55 pm