Let’s Accessorize – Wine Gadgets

accessorize.jpg
An Assortment of Accessories

What would wine be without all the great toys? From corkscrews to decanters there are hundreds if not thousands of wine accessories. Today we sit down with Abbas Gharabaghi who is the Wine Accessories Manager at Hi-Time Wine Cellars.

Come and explore the many options that make wine so much fun.

6 Responses to “Let’s Accessorize – Wine Gadgets”

1. 1 Tom James Apr 22nd, 2005 at 11:13 am

Great Show, I loved hearing about all the crazy tools out there.

It always amazes me all the gadgets that are available. Hey, Hi-Times even sells enough gadgets to have a manager for the department.

I agree with Brian, the popper is a lot of fun.

2. 2 Jamie May 7th, 2005 at 6:00 am

Sorry – this is so late – I’ve been busy!

The accessory show was great, but I didn’t catch the name of the gadget that removes labels from wine bottles. Can you please provide a name, and perhaps location on-line where it can be urchased from?

3. 3 David Williams May 25th, 2005 at 2:16 pm

First, I like your program very much. I do mostly paperwork at my own business and I really enjoy listening to podcasts and wine is a major interest of mine.

Whenever wine preservation methods are brought up there is always talk of that can of gas which can’t work really good since there is no stopper on top until you cap it. Also there are these hand pumps that your guest referred to. There are OK. But I never see the cheapest, best solution mentioned–the FoodSaver by Tilia (no, I don’t work for them.) It comes with a special stopper (and more can be purchased); put in the stopper, hook it up, turn it on, and a vaccum is created in the bottle and the stopper is already in place. The proof of the vaccum is that the stopper is hard to remove and makes a solid pop when you open it.

The machine is available for a good price at Costco. We use it for every bottle we open and don’t finish. We’ve blindtasted wine saved with it and it definitely makes a differnce. I never see this product mentioned on wine forums or elsewhere and I don’t know why.

David
    Carlsbad, CA

4. 4 Brian Clark May 27th, 2005 at 9:38 am

David,

I agree that the vaccum type system works great. I have used the VacuVin for years with much success.

Brian Clark

5. 5 Alexander Holdom Dec 30th, 2005 at 3:55 am

Has anybody heard of an O-Pen. I have seen one. It consists of a glass tube about 9mm dia. Inside is a collection of about 10 tiny glass balls. It is used to oxidise red wine. Apparently if left in a bottle for 15 min. it is equal to 2 hours of breathing. It also reduces the acidity, but how can it? Has anyone heard of it, and where can you get one, and does it work?

Regards Alexander Holdom.

6. 6 Adam Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I’ve used many wine preservation systems throughout my restaurant career. I have to say the pressurized pump systems work the best. I’ve used the VacuVin, and they do work well for the money. But they gas driven methods seem to do the best job of preserving the wine.