Welcome to Hospice du Rhone – HdR Part 1

hdr-show-one.jpg
Attendees of Hospice Du Rhone enjoy a sumptuous feast

Come join us for this 6 parts series (June 13th – June 30th) covering one of the world top wine events: the Hospice Du Rhone (HdR).

Learn about the Rhone varietals and much more. In Part 1: We interviewed Tom Hill, Long time HdR attendee and Jamie Kutch (www.kutchwines.com), an inspiring new wine maker.

Sponsor: For corporate communication strategies: SNP Communications

(24:37min 11 MB)

A few more photos from the event:

hdr1.jpg
The seminar awaits its first group of students.

hdr2.jpg
No one went hungry over the weekend.

hdr4.jpg
Jamie Kutch getting interviewed by Leigh and Jay

hdr3.jpg
The Grand Tasting featured hundreds of Rhone varietals.

11 Responses to “Welcome to Hospice du Rhone – HdR Part 1”

1. 1 Charlie J Jun 15th, 2005 at 8:38 pm

the hospice festival sounds like a lot of fun. I think I am going to have to go in the future. Is it always in May and what is the cost? C

2. 2 Jay Selman Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:44 am

I would suggest you contact them directly. Be aware, it’s a very popular event and sells out quickly. If you go next year, maybe we can drink some wine together?

Hospice du Rhône
    2175 Biddle Ranch Road
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 USA
    Ph. (805) 784-9543 Fax (805) 784-954

3. 3 Kathleen Regan Jun 17th, 2005 at 10:34 am

I have been to a lot of wine events that always end up he same way. Lots of people pushing through a crowded tasting trying to get a glass of wine. It is no way relaxing or enjoyable.

This event sounds a lot different. I have also read about it in Wine Spectator. I am going to have to try it out next year. Thanks for the heads up.

Kathy

4. 4 Jay Selman Jun 17th, 2005 at 11:42 am

I must confess that the Grand Tasting at the end of HdR was a bit crowded. However, its nowhere as bad as events like ZAP. The people at HdR make a point to limit the attendance to address this very issue. I admire them for their restraint. The picnics, bbq’s etc are just plain fun. The last word I would use for them is stressful.

5. 5 Jamie Kutch Jun 20th, 2005 at 9:30 am

Leigh, Brian, & Jay,

Thanks so much for playing my story for everyone to hear. It was an incredible experience and one I won’t forget.

Can’t wait till next year!!!

Regards,

Jamie Kutch

6. 6 Jay Selman Jun 20th, 2005 at 9:35 am

It was fun my man! I have already signed up for your wines and look forward to be able to brag to my friends that I knew you when you just got started!

7. 7 Todd Holiday Oct 20th, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Great event in a beautiful area!
    Not to be missed

8. 8 Administrati Oct 20th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

Todd, are you going this year?

9. 9 Bruno Cartwright Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:02 pm

I’ve enjoyed listening to your podcasts. I’m afraid Californian wines are a mystery to me. I’ve been very disappointed with the limited North American wines I find in the UK supermarkets. If I came into a lot of cash I’d love to try the wines on offer at the Hospice du Rhone festival and see if they compare with the Great Wines I know along the banks of the Rhone or indeed the other varieties from Bordeaux or Rioja. Surely you should give a clue in the name of the show that the wines on offer come mainly from California and not Tain-Hermitage or Valreas.

10. 10 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 18th, 2006 at 5:17 am

Sorry if you felt the name of the show was mis-leading, but if you learned more about California, maybe it was a good thing.

Maybe some day you could attend the festival.

1. 1 Grape Radio » Blog Archive » Hospice du Rhone 2006 pingback on Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:09 am