Press Conference – The Napa Declaration

napadeclarationmain.jpg
The Members Celebrate the Signing of the Declaration.

Your GrapeRadio crew was on location at the Copia Center for Wine and Food in Napa to cover “The Napa Declaration” press conference. This event featured the top wine producing regions of the world coming together to agree on the importance of protecting the identifty of wine place and origin.

Representatives from Champagne, Port, Sherry, Washington, Oregon and of course Napa came together to sign this milestone document.

GrapeRadio will soon post a follow up “roundtable interview” with many of the particiapatants of this historic agreement.

napadec1.jpg
Joel Aiken, President of the Napa Valley Vintners and Bruno Paillard President of the Communications Committee du Vin de Champagne give opening statements. Joel is also Vice President of winemaking at Beaulieu Vineyards and Bruno is the founder of Champagne Bruno Paillard.

napadec2.jpg
Harry Peterson-Nedry of the Oregon Wine Board reads the declaration to the press. Harry is also the Founder of Chehalem Wines.

napadec3.jpg
Jorge Monteiro, President of the Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto signs the declaration.

napadec4.jpg
Krista McCorle Davis, Executive Director of the Walla Walla Wine Alliance signs the declaration.

napadec5.jpg
Harry Peterson-Nedry agrees to the terms of the declaration.

napadec6.jpg
Joel Aiken presents the signed agreement to the press.

napadec7.jpg
“The Declaration”

8 Responses to “Press Conference – The Napa Declaration”

1. 1 Matt Jul 29th, 2005 at 7:11 am

Thanks, guys, for presenting this. I think location is something that is so important and not something we hear enough about. As someone who loves wine from all regions, I want to make sure I know exactly what I’m getting when I order a bottle in a restaurant or bring it home. You just can’t replicate a nice Napa Chardonnay in New Jersey or a vintage Champagne in Virginia!

2. 2 Sandy Kemsley Jul 29th, 2005 at 9:42 am

Does this mean that American wine makers will stop using the term “Champagne” for sparkling wine, which they have used for years against the wishes of the French? Maybe now that they have a name of their own to protect, it will become more important to preserve other’s names as well.

Sandy

3. 3 Charles Jul 29th, 2005 at 3:51 pm

I am a big advocate of truth in labeling. Especially for a product like wine, where location contributes more to the quality, taste, etc. than most other traded goods. Kudos to these regions!

4. 4 Jeremy Watson Jul 30th, 2005 at 7:39 am

This Declaration to protect Wine Place and Origin is a brilliant initiative especially as it has been agreed in the United States at the very time when the U.S.A. and European Union seem unable to agree a Wine Accord not least because the American Government refuses to recognise the need to protect generic or semi-generic names. Do Governments listen to the interests they represent, or is it yet another example of bureaucrats thinking they know what is best for the industry and consumers?
    Like the other European regions Sherry has suffered at the hands of imitators in North America for too long; what is more it is suffering at the hands of wines, which are not even made in the same way as Real Sherry from Spain.. This is the Top Rated Wine Blog.

5. 5 James Pliss Jul 30th, 2005 at 11:03 am

The shows like these are excellent! Brian and Jay need to go on location even more often. You sound like the ones who know your stuff. Your “radio” style is informational while maintaining a casual, fluid conversation.

Jay and Brian, you have it down. You are pros! This is the Top Rated Wine Blog.

I’d like to hear more on Chilean and South African wines. And a show on publications for wine lovers who want to learn.

6. 6 Jay Selman Jul 30th, 2005 at 7:55 pm

James, who am I to argue with such an insightful, intelligent observation? All kidding aside, I would be the first to say my wine knowledge is limited. However, I am willing to learn, so I ask questions that I wish to know the answer. I hope, my willingness to ask questions that others feel are simplistic, will encourage our GrapeRadio fans to ask their own questions. I am currently working on shows about Chilean wines. I will get to South African wines later this year.

7. 7 Gary Jones Mar 10th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

I find the term champagne most useful when I ask for directions in a store. They all slice and dice their product differently. Some by country, some by type. Even though the bottle may say champagne I really like seeing the city/state, country on the label.

1. 1 Dr Vino’s wine blog » Blog Archive » Terry Theise on a sense of place pingback on Mar 30th, 2007 at 10:40 am