The Business of Champagne

businessofchampagnemain.jpg
Bruno Paillard is interviewed by GrapeRadio’s Jay Selman (right)

You may view champagne as being all about fun and celebration but it’s also big business. Today we take a behind the scenes look at “The Business of Champagne”.

Our guest is the founder of Bruno Paillard Champagne one of the regions top champagne houses. Bruno is also President of the Communications Committee du Vin de Champagne (a French Champagne trade group).

More about todays guest:

> Bruno Paillard Champagne : www.champagnebrunopaillard.com

Sponsor: Varietals Wine Merchants: Click Here to Learn More

If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:

Audio #13: Let’s Celebrate Champagne
Audio #170: The Wines of Dom Perignon
Audio #175: Champagne with Veuve Clicquot
Video #31: Champagne Taittinger: A Walk Through the Cellars
Video #32: The Champage of Philipponnat
Audio #200: The Champagne of Krug

businessofchampagne1.jpg
The Bruno Paillard winery in Reims.

The following are some artisan labels from past vintages:

businessofchampagne2a.jpg

Crémant Blanc de Blancs Brut Vintage 1974
Theme: “Celebration – Feminine”
Original gouache painting from Tony Casalonga

businessofchampagne3.jpg

Blanc de Noirs Brut Vintage 1973
Theme: “Strength and Richness”
Original oil painting from Nissan Engel

businessofchampagne4.jpg

Brut Vintage 1995 (blend)
Theme: “Love and Silk”
Original watercolour from L. Simon

businessofchampagne5.jpg

Brut Vintage 1989 (blend)
Theme: “Ampleness and Suppleness”
Original watercolour from B. Marq

businessofchampagne6.jpg

Brut Vintage 1985 (blend)
Theme: “Time?”
Original pastel from J.Y. Gosti

businessofchampagne7.jpg

Brut Vintage 1981 (blend)
Theme: “Exuberance”
Original oil painting from Christine Burdin

10 Responses to “The Business of Champagne”

1. 1 Bill & Karen Peary Sep 12th, 2005 at 3:54 pm

Excellent discussion about champagne with Bruno. We were in Reims last year but did not know about this champagne house. Bruno is very engaging and smart about the champagne business. We look forward to a visit to Paillard next time we are in the champagne region. Many thanks to Bruno and Grape Radio!
    Bill & Karen Peary
    Austin,Texas

2. 2 David Williams Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:23 am

Off the topic of champagne; I have no idea what the person meant who talked about racist and sexist comments in the business of wine. I listen to you and one other podcast and have not heard one disparaging word. Certainly we need to always be aware of inappropriate speech, but again I really don’t know what she was talking about. Maybe she could have given an example.

3. 3 Cindy Woodman Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:57 am

Gentlemen, I have to congratulate you on your wine program. It’s “Grape”! I am 28 years old and new to wine. I have found my new obsession and passion (other than food of course).

The first podcast I listened to was your interview with Bruno Paillard and it was fascinating. You guys entertained me as well as informed me. I am hooked!

I am currently downloading all of your shows and am going to pass on your podcast to my fellow students in my Mastery of Wine class. I’m sure they will truly LOVE it! Thanks again!

4. 4 Administrati Sep 17th, 2005 at 1:01 pm

Thanks very much for your positive feedback. I must confess I was somewhat in awe of Bruno and found it difficult to concentrate. I admire people like him who can break with tradition and be somewhat of a mavrick. He is one classy guy. He is Champagne!

5. 5 Trey Stephenson Mar 11th, 2006 at 10:13 am

Great interview with Bruno. I must admit having just been turned on to Grape Radio. I’m addicted.

I think that this is an interesting Intro to the “business” of Champagne, but many important trends were left out completely. The rise of Champagne growers, for instance is something that should not be ignored. Many of the country’s top restaurant now eschew branded Champagnes in favor of bottlings labeled “recolte-manipulant”. Just about any importer of French wine is aware of and, on one level or another, involved in this trend, even if that involvement can only be described as resistance. Terry Theise is sort of leading the charge in this case and would be a great person to interview.

In addition, many Americans don’t realize that certain Champagnes are made only for this market and are made with an eye towards the American palate. Moet & Chandon White Star is, perhaps, the best known example of such a wine. Also, the practise of buying “sur-lattes” would be an interesting subject for discussion.

To be fair, I am involved in the Champagne trade and have my own agenda. Furthermore, I enjoy negociant products like Paillard, Krug and others. However, there is a fascinating story to be told, and I feel certain your listeners would enjoy it.

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 12th, 2006 at 7:47 am

Trey, perhaps you could put us in contact with Terry. You are not the first to make the suggestion. I would like to do way more on Champage.

7. 7 Kevin Pike Apr 10th, 2006 at 9:34 am

Jay, Trey sent me this link. I handle all national sales for Skurnik, including Theise. Best, Kevin

8. 8 portrait Sep 24th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Hi,
    Excellent discussion of champagne with Bruno. We did not know at Reims in the past year, but in this house champagne. Bruno is very attractive and intelligent producer of sparkling wine. Paillard look forward to visiting next time we are in the Campania region. A big thank you to Bruno and Grape Radio!

Robin

1. 1 The Champagne of Philipponnat at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:24 am
  2. 2 Let’s Celebrate Champagne at Grape Radio pingback on May 18th, 2008 at 9:57 am