In the Vineyard with Claude Blankiet

Jay Selman and Claude Blankiet in the Paradise Hills Vineyard

“Wine is made in the vineyard” our guest tells us. Today we take take a stroll through the vineyard with Claude Blankiet founder of Blankiet Estate.

Backed by high praise from wine critics, Blankiet Estate has become one of California hottest new wineries. The winery has brought in world renown wine maker Helen Turley to oversee the vineyard and wine making operations. They spare no expense, where only the best will do.

More about todays guest and his wine:

> Blankiet Estate:

Sponsor: Varietals Wine Merchants: Click Here to Learn More

A beautiful view from high above Yountville in the Napa Valley.

These young vines are already yielding world class fruit.

The Hillside vineyard (and drainage) is key to success.

Jay and Claude discuss the vineyard.

The caves and new winery under construction.

Inside the construction site.

All berries are sorted by hand.

Inside the new caves.

10 Responses to “In the Vineyard with Claude Blankiet”

1. 1 Timothy Meranda Sep 20th, 2005 at 8:29 am

Just heard your interview with C Blankiet, and it was wonderful. Easly the best wine related interview I have heard or read. His knowledge and passion cut right thru the sometimes heavy California wine fog. Keep Up the wonderful work.

2. 2 Matt D'Souza Sep 24th, 2005 at 8:13 am

Great shows. The level of detail is perfect. Keep it up!

3. 3 Jay Selman Sep 24th, 2005 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Matt. Lots of cool information IMHO. Claude sent us a fe more pics to go with the story. I hope we get to visit him again.

4. 4 Jason Oct 4th, 2005 at 6:19 pm

Wow!!! Great! interview. Finally listened to it…twice!

Jason Hagen

5. 5 John Weippert Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:51 pm

I second all of these comments, what a show! I have heard, and you mention it in the show, that great wine is made in the vineyard. It was great to hear about the “farming” behind the wine. I thought is was very interesting to hear how rich soil does not make great wine. Claude did a great job explaining how the terroir helps “stress” the wine, making for a better end result.

6. 6 Jay Selman Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:50 am

Thanks for your support John. I will risk repeating myself but its guests like Claude that it it possible to produce such shows. Their passion and excitement really come through. I have the best job in the world.

7. 7 Michel BERCAND May 7th, 2008 at 5:33 am

Dear Claude,

You were born in Switzerland and you grew up in Dijon.

You are really the person they needed in California to make a new excellent wine.

You will not remember who I am???

Former student in H. Fontaine, former Consul of France and then senior official of the European Commission and now retired.

I would love to taste one of your wines.

Does it ring a bell???

8. 8 Claude Blankiet May 8th, 2008 at 8:20 am

In reply to Michel Bercand

Hello Michel,

What a small world we are living in…thanks to the internet!

I do remember you well even after 40 some years!

I would like very much to hear more from you. Contact me via email.

Best regards!

Claude Blankiet

9. 9 Michel BERCAND May 13th, 2008 at 5:43 am

What is your email??

my email is

all the best Prince of Burgund

1. 1 Winexpression » Blog Archive » Grape Radio off to a Good Start pingback on Feb 16th, 2006 at 3:28 pm