Stephen Tanzer – Part 2

tanzer2main.jpg

This is the second of a two part interview with Stephen D. Tanzer. Stephen is the Editor and Publisher of the critically acclaimed bimonthly “International Wine Cellar”, an independent journal founded in 1985.

For more info on todays guest:

International Wine Cellar: www.internationalwinecellar.com

Sponsor: The Center for Wine Origins: Click Here to Learn More

9 Responses to “Stephen Tanzer – Part 2”

1. 1 John Oct 13th, 2005 at 3:42 pm

Thanks GrapeRadio. This was an awesome interview. Stephen seems like a great guy and I am going to sign up for his publication.

John Jenkins

2. 2 Jay Selman Oct 14th, 2005 at 4:45 am

I subscribed years before I got the chance to know Steve. My reason for doing so is simple. It made economic sense. The IWC has saved be a great deal of money. Remember its does not take long to “recover” the cost of the subscription. 3 or 4 $30 bottles are all it takes. Add in the fact that IWC has helped me discover some great wines, it was an easy decision to subscribe (I subscribe to more than one publication).

Now that I have gotten the chance to become acquainted with the man himself, it’s enforced my decision.

3. 3 John Weippert Oct 24th, 2005 at 5:32 pm

WOW! Did I hear that right, he can sample over 100 wines in one day and not suffer from palette fatigue?

4. 4 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 25th, 2005 at 9:10 am

I have heard that palette fatigue is mental but not physical. I have no idea if that is true, but I do know I could never do it.

5. 5 Shane Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:15 pm

Love the interview, but as with many of these interviews, I have one question: What are you guys drinking during the interview!?

I swear while listening to the interview I hear wine being opened, wine being poured and, at one point, I think I even heard you guys mumbling about the wine you were drinking! So, what do you drink with a Tanzer interview?

6. 6 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:45 pm

To say I am impressed is an understatment. Its not like we try to hide it, but we do not go out of our way to talk about what we are drinkk out of fear people thinking we are trying to hype a wine.

We drink wine during every podcast. We had a Vincent Girardin 2002 Chassagne-Montrachet Clos De La Truffiere , 2001 Flora Springs Napa Valley Cabernet and a 2001 Karl Lawrence Cab.

7. 7 Lou Nov 2nd, 2005 at 9:01 am

Great interview – both parts. I’m going to check out his site and look into a subscription. I’m new to the wine-world (2 yrs or so) and lucky enough to be living overseas in West-Central Germany in the Rheinhessen “appelation” (read: Riesling Heaven). Paris is 4 hours away by car, and Italy is just a short plane-trip away. My goal is to build a 300+ bottle wine collection before I leave in 2008. Do you think Steven would be open to providing some “must-visit” wineries for my wife and I to visit and purchase from if I emailed him?

Great podcast by the way – my favorite of the 10 or so that I have.

8. 8 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:29 am

Based on his travel schedule and work on the IWC, I would bet that it would be hard for him to respond to every request for advice.

I would highly suggest that you consider subscribing to a couple of publications. I feel it’s important for you to subscribe to more than one so you can get different perspectives. The IWC is very highly respected and a great place to start. For example, IWC, especially the web version, would provide you with immediate and unlimited access to eight years’ worth of back issues; you would have literally hundreds of prime choices for cellar visits at your fingertips. IWC also has discussion forums where subscribers post questions like yours. Other subscribers (and sometimes Steve) will respond with their individual perspectives.

If your interest is limited to Burgundy, Allen Meadows author of Burghound is another publication you should consider.

If you are serious about your mission to build your cellar, I can not stress enough the importance of proper research and preparation. Once you have narrowed down your choices of wineries to visit, start making appointments. The problem is that many of the very best wineries are not open to the public. It’s very important that you start contacting the wineries well in advance of your visit. Importers and trade groups can be very helpful, but be aware that these types of appointments are rare, so they have to be selective on whom they help. You may also try contacting the wineries directly. However, if they granted every request they would never have enough time to make wine!

1. 1 Stephen Tanzer, International Wine Cellar at Grape Radio pingback on Apr 23rd, 2007 at 7:53 am