Building a World Class Restaurant – Napa Rose

naparosemain.jpg
The GrapeRadio Crew and Michael Jordan (Front) of Napa Rose

When The Walt Disney Company realized fine dining was the greatest form of entertainment, it set out on a quest to build a world class restaurant. That vision became a reality in the “Napa Rose”.

The mission of creating this top culinary destination was left up to our guest, Michael Jordan. Through his vision and the hard work of his staff the Napa Rose has become a restaurant second to none. Come take an adventure with GrapeRadio on how it all got started.

For more info on todays guest:

> Learn more: Disneys “Napa Rose” at the Californian Grand Hotel

Sponsor: The Center for Wine Origins: Click Here to Learn More

naparose1.jpg
The view from the dining area of Napa Rose

27 Responses to “Building a World Class Restaurant – Napa Rose”

1. 1 Bill Wilson Oct 24th, 2005 at 7:08 am

Holy cow! Thanks a million for this podcast. My wife and I dined at the Napa Rose four years ago, and we were simply blown away. It’s now one of our favorite restaurants, and it’s a shame that we don’t get out to Southern California more often.

As soon as the file is done downloading, I’m going to listen here at my desk rather than wait for the drive home.

Again, thanks for bringing this bit of Disneyland Resort to all of us wine fans.

2. 2 Mark Edwards Oct 24th, 2005 at 6:21 pm

Cmon… matching shirts? Puleeze.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 25th, 2005 at 9:16 am

Actually, Brian is wearing a different shirt. We are having some fun with GrapeRadio, if wearing matching shirts adds to our sense of fun, who cares?

4. 4 J Davis Oct 25th, 2005 at 1:15 pm

Have listened to most of the shows since I found Grape Radio about a month ago, and this was one of my favorite shows. I love all the enthusiasm around wine.

5. 5 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 25th, 2005 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Have you noticed that wine people tend to be passionate and enthusiastic about life? This, more than anything else, draws me to the world of wine.

6. 6 j mallock Oct 26th, 2005 at 9:16 am

Your podcasts are great. Enjoyed all the shows except the last one on Napa Rose. Curb your enthusiasm!

7. 7 Youndy Oct 26th, 2005 at 11:24 am

Great show! I will have to make it a point to visit Napa Rose now. Matching shirts rock, any way I can buy one, Jay?!

8. 8 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:47 pm

No. but since we are drinking buddies now, i think I can give you one. What size?

9. 9 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:57 pm

To: j mallock
    I asked the guys afterwards if the show sounded like we were over the top in terms of our enthusiasm. Maybe so. We started the show after polishing off 2 bottles before we started with that show (it was our 3rd recording that day).

Howver, for whatever its worth, our passion was real. I have dinned at more than a few highly rated places, the Napa Rose is still in my top 5. I have yet to know anybody who does not feel the same way.

I will try to keep my emotions from getting the best of me next time. Sorry.

10. 10 Youndy Oct 26th, 2005 at 2:09 pm

Jay, that would be most excellent, thanks man : ) A large would be nice. Damn the torpedoes, enthusiasm/emotions to 11… CU soon.

YH

11. 11 David Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:35 pm

Really nice show and discussion on Napa Rose. I’ve been to the Chefs table a couple of time and had the Tasting Menu. Really great food and the wine pairings always great! It’s been to long, time to go back and this podcast reminds me how great the place is! Keep up the great work! Jay, see you at WOPN!

David

12. 12 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:31 pm

So get your butt back into the Napa Rose AND INVITE ME. I never get tired of eating there.
    I am SO looking forward to my first WOPN. Do you think they will have enough wine?

13. 13 Richard Oct 29th, 2005 at 10:23 am

Love your shows and enthusiasm on wine. I am hooked to your podcasts now, and listen to them when I am working at home.
    Your guests are terrific and it is a very good learning experience for me who is definately a novice in the wine world.

You should offer for sale Grape Radio shirts for your non-wine drinking buddies like me. I would love to get one.

14. 14 GrapeRadio Crew Oct 29th, 2005 at 1:10 pm

Richard that sounds like a pretty good idea. Nothing like a few people walking around spreading the word about GrapeRadio. We got the shirts for ourselves and our guests but I guess we could expand things. We have toyed with the idea of selling these real cool light weight jackets.

Any advice on how we could measure level of interest. I would hate to go through the effort if the interest was minimal.

15. 15 Richard Oct 30th, 2005 at 2:29 pm

No real advice I could get you, but I would think that items like shrits both T-shirts and say polo shirts are an easier item to sell and you can wear them all year round. Jackets you wear usually when it is a bit colder. So if I had any advice, I would go with something less expensive and something more versatile.

Just let me know when they are available if you go thru with it.

16. 16 R. Weingarten Nov 28th, 2005 at 1:10 pm

Great show! Would love to know what a restaurant such as Napa Rose uses to keep the remainder of a bottle of wine at peak taste when it is served by the glass.

17. 17 Michael Jordan Dec 1st, 2005 at 7:43 pm

We use Argon gas which is inert. It creates a barrier between the wine and outside air, prolonging the life of the wine without affecting it in any way.

We do have a strict policy that no bottle shall remain open longer then 48 hours, so this issue rarely a factor.

Michael Jordan
    Napa Rose

18. 18 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 2nd, 2005 at 3:19 am

Yikes Michael, I am under the impression that Argon was expensive. On those bottles of Petrus that have been open for more than 48 hours, may I come over and pick them up? :-)

19. 19 Robert Jan 6th, 2006 at 9:23 pm

Went to Napa Rose fall of 03 and loved it. my daughter 5 years then and I really enjoyed the food and service. As Michael mentioned Napa Rose is quite kid friendly. She had pizza which came with more cheese than she liked but the server noticed her facial expression and immediately spoke with her and corrected the pizza to her liking, very impressive! I enjoyed a bottle of Roar Pinot Noir from Santa Lucia Highlands. I really felt at home in the Grand Californian as I had worked at the Ahwhanee Hotel but the Napa Rose is a Jewel hidden in the hotel. Spectacular place! Great podcast!

20. 20 GrapeRadio Crew Jan 6th, 2006 at 10:14 pm

I ate there last night with my kids (6 and 8 years old). It was their first time in a fancy restaurant. Napa Rose did a great job with them and the big kids (my wife and I). It always blows me away with the amazing selection they have in wines by the glass. I had a great glass of Riesling which they refilled several times at no charge for $9.50. Don’t miss it if you are in the area.

Brian
    GrapeRadio

21. 21 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 19th, 2006 at 8:11 pm
  22. 22 Bill Wilson Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:21 pm

I’m thrilled to say that my wife and I are headed to Anaheim in early May, and we’re already salivating over the idea of dining at The Napa Rose. Heck, that’s probably one restaurant I would make a special trip to visit–flying all the way from Indiana just for dinner. It’s that good, and the service and wine list are great as well.

Counting down the days!

(Michael Jordan, if you’re reading this, mind if we say hello?)

23. 23 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 6th, 2006 at 7:00 pm

let me knownwhen you finalize your plans.

24. 24 Eric Apr 2nd, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Had dinner at Napa Rose on Mar.31 – despite Friday evening, we got a table at 8:00. Michael Jordan made 3 stops at our table (two of us had the tasting menu with the wine pairings) to introduce himself and ask how everything was (that must be the easiest part of his job – everything was terrific). I mentioned hearing him on your show last year, and enjoying his approach to wine.
    For kicks, I changed two of my wines to see if “upgrading” enhanced the experience, but Jordan’s white choice was definitely better with the first course, and my group “split” on whether Jordan (Chianti Cl. Rufina) or I (Williams-Selyem P.Noir) chose better for the mushroom-frisee-bacon salad. Good wines, great service, and fantastic atmosphere. This man knows how to run a serious, casual, wine-oriented place.

25. 25 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Eric, you had a dinner at Napa Rose and did not invite us to join you. Dude! Next time, I expect a call. I promise to open something tht would justify the effort. :-)

26. 26 David Oct 17th, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Fantastic interview. I’ve dined at the Napa Rose many times and what Michael discussed is certainly conveyed by the staff. The place is perfect. They have tremendous food, wine, service and completely lacks pretention. I can’t say enough good things about the restaurant and the “Grape Radio Crew” did a great job selecting the restaurant and showcasing why Michael Jordan is so good at what he does. Can I suggest a Grape Radio Crew and Fans dinner party at Napa Rose? Any takers?

27. 27 GrapeRadio Bunch Oct 23rd, 2007 at 1:56 am

David, I am all over the idea of doing more wine dinners. Fell free to contact me, we can start small and build up to a huge orgy of wine and food.