Yellow Tail with John Casella – Part2

yellowtail2main.jpg

We are back with Part 2 of this great interview. [yellow tail] is the No. 1 imported wine brand in the USA, controlling 10.3% of the imported wine category. Source: AC Nielsen.

Learn about Casella Wines and [Yellow Tail]: www.casellawines.com

Sponsor: The Center for Wine Origins: Click Here to Learn More

11 Responses to “Yellow Tail with John Casella – Part2”

1. 1 Richard Nov 2nd, 2005 at 9:27 pm

A great part two. John has a very believable sincerity about making a good value wine product. I have never tried their Chardonay, so I think I will go out and see what their number two wine is like.

Keep the good shows coming…

2. 2 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 3rd, 2005 at 3:58 am

Report back your impressions.

3. 3 Tim in Austin, TX Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:20 am

Let John Casella know that the next time I’m shopping for wine, I’ll pick up a bottle or two of YellowTail. Great show, great education.

Keep up the great work guys, Grape radio is one of my favorite podcasts, next to ReelReviews. :)

Sponsors where are you?, these “grape” guys constantly put out quality shows and deserve industry support. They are literally growing your market for you.

Because of your show, I don’t automatically pick up a six pack of beer anymore, I am shopping in the wine sections more.

4. 4 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 3rd, 2005 at 8:44 am

I have to respond to this. Next to Reelreviews? How about slightly more than ReelReviews? :) For those that do not know, Michael from ReelReviews is the guy that has been our guiding light in the world of podcasting. Without his help, GrapeRadio would not have been possible.

I am happy to say we have sold out sponsorships until the end of the year. You will notice we have had a few sponsors repeat their support. Bottom line they do so because they believe in the show and they get a ROI. I am proud of that point. Of course, for those that have not sponsored us yet, pick up the phone and get on the bandwagon like Tim says!

Lastly, I will tell John about your comment. He will get a kick out ot it. He understands that it all starts and ends with the customer. Report back on your impressions.

5. 5 Ricard James Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:27 pm

Well done, I like your broad mix of topics and guests. Nothing wrong with talking about big, value brands! I’m sure you’ll find room one day for a spot on the hot south of France…
    Richard

6. 6 Paul R Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:16 pm

regarding sponsors, was this show not sponsored by the center for wine origins? regarding yellowtail, is their philosophy (no judgement) somewhat askew to the whole concept of place?

if i hear “friendly” or “enjoy/enjoyable” one more time today, i may be forced to commit ritual suicide…

7. 7 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:38 pm

Paul, I have no idea why you would feel that the concept of place would be inconsistent with this show. Many wines are made today from blends of fruit sourced from different vineyards and/or AVA’s. Are you suggesting that only wines made from one specific AVA would be in keeping with the goals of the sponsor?

Thanks for the commenting on the show, I found your friendly comments very enjoyable (I could not resist). :-)

8. 8 paul Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:35 pm

yes i am. unless of course the goal of your sponsor is to protect wine names such as “port” and “champagne” (which are consistently referred to on their website). however, on your sponsors website are such items as:

“Generally speaking, appellations define and protect geographically-named wines, spirits, and even certain foods. This holds particularly true in the wine industry, where the climate and soil – which define the quality of the grapes grown – vary extensively by region.”

and:

“Appellations are increasingly used in the wine industry outside of Europe and North America, too. From Australia to South Africa, dozens of countries have created systems for identifying and legally protecting wine origins.”

and i am not saying that there are not phenomenally good wines made from blends of fruit sourced from different AVAs (some of which are probably in my cellar and that i have consumed). i am only saying that when i think of “the center for wine origins”, i think of specific wines made from a specific AVA.

perhaps i take your sponsor too literally and their sole goal is the protection of names, as in not naming a wine ‘paul’s napa blend’ from fruit sourced from central california. granted i have consumed some wonderful ‘tawney ports’ from australia, which i would think goes directly against your sponsor’s goals.

perhaps the concept and success of yellowtail wines does not go against the specific goals of your sponsor (i do not believe they list an appellation on their labels), but it certainly is at odds with the romantic notion of terroir…

9. 9 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:29 am

Interesting point. In all honesty, I never asked how they feel about blends. I will bring up your point when I speak to them later this week and report back.

Now as to your point about the romantatic notion of terrior, you will get no arguement from me. As a matter of fact, I plan to do a series of roundtable discussions that would include 3 or 4 winemakers from a specific AVA, AOC, etc to discuss what makes that area unique.

10. 10 Marc Witham Apr 7th, 2009 at 5:22 am

This was an interesting article. Mr Casella makes a good case for his wines. And his success in selling 8m cases to the US is unprecedented. But on the other side I was dismayed by the fact that their growers pump out 8 tons per acre of chardonnay and that they purchase their grapes from all over the country. Yellowtail is the antithesis of terroir driven wine. Which is too bad. But perhaps all those Yellowtail drinking (equivelent to budweiser/miller lite drinkers) will one day appreciate what wine can be.

1. 1 Twenty Buck Luck, Chapter 1 « Beer Wine and Whisky pingback on Jan 10th, 2008 at 8:34 pm