Wines for the Holidays

holidaywinemain.jpg
GrapeRadio at Dinner with EatFeed, Winecast, and CellarRat

This time of the year we are all thinking about the aromas of roasted turkey and fresh baked pies. It’s also time to start thinking about the wines you are going to pair with the meal to make it the best experience possible.

We were lucky enough to be joined by two guest today: Ann Bramely the Host of the award winning Podcast EatFeed and Joe Davis, Founder of Arcadian Winery. Our discussion includes eveything from pairing wines with deep fried turkey to standing rib roast.

Sponsor: Vinfolio: The Indispensable Resource for Wine Collectors – www.vinfolio.com

eatfeed.jpg
Mia Littlejohn and Anne Bramley of EatFeed

joedavis.jpg
Joe Davis (Center) of Arcadian Winery with Gary and Jeff Pisoni at World of Pinot Noir

7 Responses to “Wines for the Holidays”

1. 1 Bill Wilson Nov 22nd, 2005 at 5:00 am

As I was listening to this show I was surprised to hear the reference to Fruit Loops aromas on Viognier. While my wife and I were dining at Disney’s Artist Point at the Walt Disney World Resort, I had a glass of Viognier. I was enjoying the aromas when it all of a sudden hit me: Fruit Loops!

I thought I might be nuts, but my wife agreed. We shared our observation with the server, and she smiled politely and probably enjoyed telling the other staff about the two goofballs she had who thought they smelled Fruit Loops on the Viognier.

Needless to say, I was relieved to hear that my wife and I are not the only ones who find Fruit Loops in our glass of Viognier.

Keep up the great work!

2. 2 Chris Condayan Nov 22nd, 2005 at 10:33 am

Hi, it was nice meeting you guys outside the Marriott at the PME in Ontario, Ca. I really enjoyed this particular episode of Grape Radio. Good stuff.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:32 pm

All this money I have been spending on Viognier and all I needed was a blender and some fruit loops. :-)

4. 4 Denis Lynch Nov 25th, 2005 at 10:38 am

Contrary to what Anne Bramley says in the show, there is no problem with stuffing a brined turkey. The stuffing doesn’t get any noticeable extra salt. The pan drippings are another story altogether: you’ll need to add extra water to make gravy that’s not over-salted.

Couild you talk Anne into posting the recipe for Brussells sprouts with Guinness and orange glaze? That was almost enough to make me wish I still had 15-year-old Bon Appetite magazines in my collection!

The general idea from the show for wine pairing worked for us: we had a 1998 Ridge Sonoma Station zinfandel. Even though this particular wine was probably better a year ago, it had the typical Burgundy characteristics: lightish body, strong acid, moderate fruit.

5. 5 Larry Scott Hastings Nov 26th, 2005 at 8:12 am

I second the request for the Brussel Sprouts/Guinness/Orange Glaze recipe. I’m digging through my wife’s old and unorganized Bon Appetit collection myself to find it, and no joy so far.

Thanks for a great show!

6. 6 Denis Lynch Nov 26th, 2005 at 9:36 am

Some more Googling with various spellings of “Brussells” turned up this:

STOUT AND ORANGE-GLAZED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
    Bon Appetit
    12/1/1994

The same recipe, with less formatting and fewer typos:
    which has all sorts of interesting things!

7. 7 Anne Bramley Dec 5th, 2005 at 9:10 am

That’s the recipe! I use fresh rather than frozen Brussels sprouts though. Not a winter goes by that we don’t cook that up once or twice. If you can get your hands on the back issue (dec. ’94), it’s worth it. The sprouts are a side for a delicious Roast Goose with Port-Thyme Gravy in country-theme dinner layout.

My one experience with brining rendered the stuffing unpleasant at best, I’m afraid. And I know other cooks have written the same. But if you can get this great pre-technique to work with my favorite part of the meal, then go for it.