Judgement of Paris

judgementmain.jpg

A few decades ago it would have been absurd to suggest that a California wine could match the quality of a French wine. But in May of 1976 the wine world was changed forever due to the now famous Paris blind tasting. Nine French judges choose a California Red and White wine above its leading French contenders.

Today we sit down with George Taber, author of the new wine book: “Judgment of Paris”. George a reporter for Time Magazine represented the only press coverage for the event. Hear about this unbelievable story, the rise of California as a world power in wine and how the effects of the Paris tasting are still being felt today.

Buy George’s great book: Judgement of Paris

Sponsor: The Office of Champagne USA
Test your knowledge of Champagne: Quiz

judgement1.jpg
The GrapeRadio Crew, Mike Grgich, and George Taber.

judgement2.jpg
Patricia Gallagher, Steve Spurrier (the event organizer) and Odetter Kahn.

judgement3.jpg
Wine being poured blind.

judgement4.jpg
Odette Kahn, Raymond Oliver, and Jean-Claude Vrinat.

judgement5.jpg
Aubert de Villaine.

judgement6.jpg
“Judgement of Paris” Author, George Taber

judgement7.jpg

7 Responses to “Judgement of Paris”

1. 1 Jessica Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:52 am

I loved this book. California and French wines are my favorite. Just wish I had Jay’s champagne budget.

2. 2 Mike Nov 21st, 2005 at 11:22 am

I have been enjoying this book for a week. What a great read. I can’t wait to turn on my ipod and take a listen.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Crew Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:43 pm

Jessica, I have found some great buys in Champagne in the $50-$60 range. A great deal of money (to me) for sure, but still not in the range of the $100+ bottles that I drool over in the store.

4. 4 Jessica Nov 28th, 2005 at 11:22 am

Jay,

Very True!
    Epecially at some of my favorite wine merchants here in NYC.

Thanks-
    Jessica

5. 5 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 11th, 2005 at 7:33 am

A vertical tasting of Ridge. I would love to try the same tasting.

6. 6 Denis Barry Sep 11th, 2009 at 9:41 am

Just got the book. Looking forward to the differences from Bottle Shock and want to see how Mike Grgich’s story is told, and if any of the other represented wineries are involved. In Bottle Shock Gustavo gives Spurrier two bottles for the tasting but you never hear mention of that again – was it true? And if so what wine was that?

7. 7 Welleran Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Great show, but the mp3 stops at 33:22, the last 9 minutes are missing.