The Evolution of Napa with Mike Grgich – Part 1

grgichmain.jpg

Miljenko “Mike” Grgich first gained international recognition at the celebrated “Paris Tasting” of 1976. They had chosen Mike’s 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay as the finest white wine in the world.

Today, Mike oversees daily operations at his winery Grgich Hills. His aim, year after year, is to improve the quality of their vineyards and create well balanced wines. Mike is also on the cutting edge in the use of new technologies such as bio dynamic farming.

Find out more about Grgich Cellars at: http://www.grgich.com/index.html

Sponsor: The Office of Champagne USA
Test your knowledge of Champagne: Quiz

Click Here: Grgich Hills Cellar

grgich1.jpg
Mike and Violet Grgich

grgich2.jpg
The Grgich Label

10 Responses to “The Evolution of Napa with Mike Grgich – Part 1”

1. 1 Richard W. Nov 30th, 2005 at 9:36 pm

Great first show. Last time I was in Napa, I can’t tell you how many people would recommend Grtich’s Chardonay. It is truly an excellent wine.
    Fun to hear some of the history of that region and how wine makers came together.

2. 2 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 1st, 2005 at 9:36 am

BTW, Mike has more energy than most people I have met. How does he do it?

3. 3 Ted Erfer Dec 27th, 2005 at 2:45 pm

I have been to Mike’s winery several times and have always enjoyed his wine. I still have one bottle of 1995 Chard left from my first visit. Just enjoyed the Fume Blanc Estate – yum. After hearing him, I have an even better understanding of his passion for wine.
    Thanks

4. 4 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 27th, 2005 at 3:24 pm

Are you going to dring the 1995 or keep it for the memories?

5. 5 Ted Erfer Dec 28th, 2005 at 11:34 am

I am going to drink it. I actually didn’t know I had it left. I was doing an inventory of my cellar and there it was! When I saw it listed on the Grgich web site I was relieved. I thought maybe it wouldn’t hold up.

Maybe this New Year’s Eve??

6. 6 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 28th, 2005 at 3:00 pm

I expect you to report back your impressions.

7. 7 Sean Norton Jan 24th, 2006 at 3:55 pm

I’m new to GrapeRadio and just now catching up on all the episodes. It’s great that you’re able to get such great interviews and in this case with a legend like Mike Grgich. I’ve recently finished listening to this show and reading “Judgment of Paris” so the two complimented each other well. Mike’s story is one of not only an amazing winemaker, but of an amazing person as well. Thank you so much for the great show!

-Sean

8. 8 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 24th, 2006 at 8:20 pm

Kind of cool meeting these people. I so dig this.

1. 1 Merlooooooh! « Anything Wine pingback on Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:29 pm
  2. 2 » Cidades Turisticas – Napa Cidades Turisticas pingback on Oct 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm