Joe Davis, Founder of Arcadian Winery

joedavismain.jpg

Arcadian Winery is built on the principle of combining the best of old world wine making techniques while taking advantage of state of the art science to make world class wine. Joe Davis, a chemist by trade, still uses the time honored method of “pigeage à pied” (treading grapes by foot). Learn about this and his use of the controversial wine making technique “whole cluster fermentation”, on today’s show.

Learn more about Arcadian Winery: www.arcadianwinery.com

Sponsor: The Office of Champagne USA

joedavis1.jpg
Joe Davis in the GrapeRadio studio.

joedavis2.jpg
Joe hard at work during harvest.

joedavis3.jpg
It all starts with top quality fruit.

joedavis5.jpg
Stomping all of Joe’s fruit can be a lot of fun.

joedavis4.jpg
Joe puts his juice to rest in French oak.

17 Responses to “Joe Davis, Founder of Arcadian Winery”

1. 1 Rod Schiffman Dec 12th, 2005 at 4:45 pm

Fascinating show. I really enjoyed his talk about Santa Rita hills and his differing style of wine. Thanks so much for this type of interviw.

2. 2 jens at cincinnati wine warehouse Dec 12th, 2005 at 6:45 pm

Better than listening I just today tasted the 2002 Arcadian La Genisse and 2002 Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay. Both great wines but the $18 Syrah is great!

jens at cincinnati wine radio

3. 3 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 12th, 2005 at 8:11 pm

Nice blog jens. Rod, how you doing dude? Getting this type of feedback from you makes my day! Thanks man!

4. 4 WaterintoWino Dec 14th, 2005 at 7:58 am

Great show, great pics! I find it fascinating hearing American winemakers discuss their wines in comparison to the French, Spanish, and especially Italian winemakers on your show. I found Joe Davis to sound very “American” if not slightly arrogant when he talks about his wine and the growing taste for “Anna Nicole” style wines. That being said, I’ll still try his wine and think about it.

5. 5 David Dec 14th, 2005 at 12:28 pm

Great show! Some fascinating insight into Joe Davis’ winemaking at Arcadian. Everything from simple philosophy to complex organic chemistry. It is a shame he is so shy! His style analogies are priceless, regardless of your ultimate opinion. The GR questions and and comments rounded out the show. Keep up the good work!

6. 6 David Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:17 pm

Once again, you have brought forth a wonderful show! I found Joe’s comments about style to be ‘spot on’! I guess I’m much more of a Michelle Pfeiffer fan even if I look at Anna Nicole from time to time.

7. 7 Chad Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:14 pm

Hey guys – avid listener, first time poster. I’ve recently been bitten by the ‘bug’ and generous shows like GR are helping me ramp up quickly. Joe’s affinity for wine metaphors is amusing to say the least. He’s Andrew Dice Clay to Mike Grgich’s Cary Grant.

As a fellow New Yawkah, I’ll be paying Andy Besch a visit soon. Thanks for the tip!

8. 8 Steve Dec 16th, 2005 at 3:53 pm

Wow. What a show. I’m in. Time to approach more “Michelle Pfeiffer’s.”

To continue the analagy…Michelle Pfeiffer was in “Grease 2″, therefore no one has a lock on perfection.

9. 9 GrapeRadio Crew Dec 16th, 2005 at 11:16 pm

Did GrapeRadio become a sex blog site while I was sleeping?

10. 10 Bob Jan 2nd, 2006 at 7:55 am

Joe made a good career choice. He would have made a horrible physician. The last thing that profession needs is another egotistical, sexist technician. That said, the egotistical part probably is functional in his chosen profession and niche market.

11. 11 GrapeRadio Crew Jan 2nd, 2006 at 6:41 pm

Stay tuned for our cage match. Joe Davis, Brian Loring and Adam Lee will all joins us for what should be a rather dynamic discussion.

12. 12 David Jan 17th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Too bad Joe couldn’t make it to the “cagematch”…damn traffic. It’s great to see such an outspoken person with such strong opions as Joe Davis on your show who’s not afraid to tell it like it is. I found the “rebutal” by Brian Loring and Adam Lee a little less than convincing though. Every wine has it’s place but to try to compare the 2 styles side by side and dub one the “victor”is, whether intentional or not, misleading. I agree whollywith Kermitt Lynch on this subject that “ratings” and “scores”are foolish.

13. 13 Dave J. of Oregon Jan 18th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

Never heard of Joe Davis and Arcadian Winery before, but as a long time devotee of Burgundy wine (includiing many a bottle of Domaine Dujac) it is clear that he gets it. Thank you Joe for your boldness in expressing the case for balance and bringing out the expression of terroir. There are no distrubutors listed for Oregon, but I will seek out a bottle of two of Arcadian to try as I can. Thank you for making this interview available.

14. 14 Kell Brigan Feb 1st, 2006 at 8:24 pm

Since no one at RapeRadio has bothered to do so, here’s a warning about this content of this show. It includes sickening comparisons of women’s bodies to wine “types”, including statements where Davis talks about rape as if it were a form of sex instead of unacceptable violence, i.e. Cab will “rape” you, but pinot noir will seduce you? Right. So, a white zin will cut your penis off but a grenache will wash your car. Hey, makes about as much sense. Of course, if you take a look at white boy Davis, it’s pretty obvious he’s come into his entraordinary misogyny because he’s simply too ugly (and too clues to do anything about it) for any woman to even look at him twice.

I hereby invite all women with any self respect to leave this loser boys’ club to themselves. They’ve made it extraordinarily clear that they think women are shit, and any woman who listens to this show is telegraphing far and wide that she thinks of herself that way, too. We can do better than this sickening loser circle jerk.

15. 15 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 2nd, 2006 at 8:47 am

I am so sorry that you feel that way about GrapeRadio. We have never censored our guests or comments on our site. Hopefully, you will continue to listen.

16. 16 Red Wine Guy Sep 7th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Great pictures! I just want to say I am a listener and a fan for awhile now, I have learned quite a lot. Cheers!

1. 1 Grape Radio » Blog Archive » The Pinot Showdown - Part 1 pingback on Jan 16th, 2006 at 9:21 am