Kermit Lynch – The Wine Hippie

kermitmain.jpg
Photo Credit: Aengus McGiffin

One of our country’s most important and influential importers of wine, Kermit Lynch has built a reputation for uncompromising quality and impeccable tasting standards. Kermit imports wines that he likes from many non-mainstream regions in France, Italy and Spain. He seeks out wines that reflect the terroir in which they are grown and that are produced with non-interventionist winemaking techniques. He works with wineries from all over France, including regions (Savoy, Jura, Irouleguy, Corsica) often ignored by other importers. However, they fit within the aesthetic parameters that Kermit looks for in the wines.

Very important was the fact that Kermit was the first importer to realize the importance of transporting wines from Europe to the USA in refrigerated containers, thereby insuring that the wines wouldn’t be damaged in transit and that the consumer’s experience would be the same as Kermit had with the wines abroad.

Find out more about todays guest at: www.kermitlynch.com

Buy Kermit’s Books & Music:

Adventures on the Wine Route

Inspiring Thirst: Vintage Selections from Kermit Lynch

CD – Quicksand Blues

Sponsor: www.cellartracker.com

kermit1.jpg
Photo Credit: Aengus McGiffin

kermit2.jpg
Photo Credit: Craig Lee – Chronical

kermit3.jpg
Insignia of Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur

20 Responses to “Kermit Lynch – The Wine Hippie”

1. 1 Eric LeVine Jan 2nd, 2006 at 3:08 pm

Terrific show! I love the wines that Kermit brings to us, and I really enjoyed reading Kermit’s book a few years ago. Maybe it’s time for a re-read?

2. 2 Doug Smith Jan 3rd, 2006 at 11:32 am

Also loved the show … Kermit is such a legend, it’s great to hear his voice. His book is one of my all-time-favorites. He comes across as very endearing in the episode … although I would have to agree with you Jay that a lot of the stylistic differences he sees from some of the other wine critics does come down to a difference of taste. To each his own! Love this wine blog.

And I’ll give a plug to CellarTracker too. It’s an excellent product, one that I use.

3. 3 Richard W. Jan 3rd, 2006 at 1:08 pm

I have a question about all your shows, is there a way we can download and save the file so we can listen to them whon a computer that does not have internet access?

4. 4 Charles Smith Jan 4th, 2006 at 9:49 am

Another very good show- the only thing I thought was missing was a question or two about other “modern” wine practices- roto-fermenters, etc. Not that I don’t know where he would stand- I’d have liked to hear his thoughts on the pervasiveness of these techniques.

Richard- You should be able to save the file to your computer by right clicking on it (CTRL-Click on a MAC)- that should bring up a menu with an option like “save link as”- that should allow you to save the MP3 to your computer for listening at any time. You can aslo download the show in iTunes.

5. 5 Michael Barnhill Jan 4th, 2006 at 10:04 am

Great show. Although I had no previous knowledge of Kermit Lynch, I have tasted many of the wines he has introduced to the US. Thank you to both Kermit Lynch for taking the time to be interviewed and the GrapeRadio “bunch” for another entertaining show!

6. 6 GrapeRadio Crew Jan 4th, 2006 at 10:34 am

Charles, your question is way above my head, so I would have have never thought to ask. Also thanks for your advice to Richard.

Richard, once you have saved the file, you can copy it to a CD, and then play it on another PC.

7. 7 Randy K. Walker Jan 4th, 2006 at 11:27 am

Geez where do I begin? I wish I could remember how I heard about GrapeRadio, but as soon as I did I started listening right away. Being the chronological l person I am, I had to start with the very first show and listen to everyone in order. I could get in 2-4 shows a day while at work, and heard all of them in an 8-week period. Now I can go back and re-listen to shows and take some notes. I just hate that I could not be sippin’ with you during the show. I already had a growing appreciation of wine, but listening to the show kicked it up a notch. I have since applied at a local school to get my Wine Professional Certificate. My local wine merchants and wine tasting friends now know about your show and are very excited about GrapeRadio also.
    I am soaking up everything I can about vino, and I’m just about through reading Oldman’s Guide to Outsmarting Wine (http://www.markoldman.com/?wine=0 ; an excellent, easy to understand book for beginners and novices. Another excellent source of basic wine knowledge is Karen McNeil’s 13-part PBS series, Wine, Food & Friends. The entire DVD series can be found at http://www.winefoodandfriends.com/.
    Thanks guys for putting together a “grape” pod cast! I look forward to all of the 2006 shows. Gee, it’s time to listen to The Wine Hippie.

Randy

8. 8 Charles Smith Jan 4th, 2006 at 12:33 pm

I can’t say I know a lot about all of the modern techniques either, but the more I learn/hear about roto-fermenters, reverse osmosis, micro-oxygenation, etc. the more I want to hear experts opinions of their use. Thanks again for another great show.

9. 9 mel hill Jan 4th, 2006 at 6:22 pm

Jay almost kind of mentioned Chave at one point….

Seriously, was that off the table?

I would have loved to hear Kermit talk about the issues involved
    with losing the Chave account.

(from KL’s website)

Domaine J.L. Chave 12/16/04
    Recent disagreements make it impossible to continue with the domaine, now in the hands of Gérard’s son, Jean-Louis Chave, so you will have to look elsewhere for their wines.

10. 10 GrapeRadio Crew Jan 4th, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Good ear Mel. I was tempted to bring it up, but I just wimped out. I doubt he would have had a problem talking about it. Not sure why I backed off.

11. 11 mel hill Jan 4th, 2006 at 7:08 pm

Jay,

No need to get all “Mike Wallace /60 Minutes” on your guests (guests being the operative word here)
    Keep up the great work
    really looking forward to hearing the Joe and Brian show

12. 12 GrapeRadio Crew Jan 4th, 2006 at 7:50 pm

Darn, I was hoping to position myself as a replacement.
    See you at HdR.

13. 13 Jason Adams Jan 5th, 2006 at 7:38 pm

Charles,

Roto-fermenters, reverse osmosis, micro-oxygenation, etc., I’m sure you know exactly how Kermit Lynch would feel about such modern (or rather interventionist) wine making techniques. I personally would have enjoyed hearing that rant.

The question I would have liked to ask would center around providing some insight in the economic world of the new winemakers (vignerons) in France producing “Old World” style wines. It always amazes me at the quality that can be had for less than $20 a bottle.

PS – Thanks for the great show. Kermit Lynch is one of my heroes and I could not believe my eyes when I saw the show title download. Love this wine blog.

14. 14 Charles Smith Jan 6th, 2006 at 7:59 am

Jason-
    Your comment is right on point- a rant that I’d have enjoyed as well- I would like to hear an expert’s explanation and view of these techniques, although I doubt there’s a non-biased view out there.

15. 15 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:00 pm

Randy,
    I agree on re-listening to shows. I just re-listened to a few today and even though I was in the room, I find new things I didn’t catch before. I’m also a fan of Karen McNeil.

Leigh

16. 16 Benoit Descary Jan 9th, 2006 at 2:19 pm

congratulation really an excellent show.
    Benoit

17. 17 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 9th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Benoit, to be honest, I liked that show myself.

18. 18 David Hoffman Jan 13th, 2006 at 3:08 pm

As a long time patron of Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant, it was great hearing the interview. Actually, the interview with KL could have been done over a number of programs, so vast is his knowledge and experience. Kermit comes across as a very interesting character, somewhat unassuming, and if you’ve read his books (a ‘must’ btw), a man with a wonderful dry sense of humor. The Les Pallieres Gigondas is taking its place as one of the great wines of the world…kudos to KL for his stewardship of the property. How many other wine shops are there in the U.S. that sell no wine made in this country?

19. 19 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 14th, 2006 at 7:27 am

I could not agree more. He is a unique guy, kind of like the wine he sells IMHO.

jay

20. 20 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 18th, 2006 at 10:11 am

I still refrence this show for my own use, Kermit was a great guest.

Leigh