The Piedmont Report with Antonio Galloni-Part 1

piedmontreport1main.jpg
The Vineyards of Barolo

This is the first of a two part interview with Antonio Galloni. Antonio is the Editor and Publisher of Piedmont Report, the first independent newsletter focused on the wines of Piedmont. The Piedmont Report is read by over 3,000 people in 25 countries, and is widely recognized as one of the top sources in the world for in-depth coverage of the region.

Antonio spends a significant portion of each year traveling in Italy, visiting producers, and tasting an ever-increasing number of wines. By focusing on one region, Antonio is able to provide a level of insight on the wines of Piedmont that has never before been available to consumers.

Today we cover the difference between the wines of the regions: Barolo, Barbaresco, Barbera and Dolcetto.

For more info on today’s guest: www.piedmontreport.com

Sponsor: Vinfolio, Your Resource for Wine Collectors www.vinfolio.com

piedmontreport1a.jpg

10 Responses to “The Piedmont Report with Antonio Galloni-Part 1”

1. 1 Flo Jan 30th, 2006 at 12:46 pm

Hi Grape radio,

First thank you for the great informative shows you make.
    I really appreciate this type of shows(like piedmont) a bit less “california focused”. Being far from the USA I really appreciated your shows on piedmont, New Zealand and Champagne.
    I guess it’s probably harder to get people from france or spain or australia to come for a show but thos were the most interesting shows you made in my opinion.

Regards

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Stay tuned Flo. Brian and I just interviewed represenitives from 7 of the 9 Crus Bourgeois Exceptionnels. So that will give you a France fix.

3. 3 David Jan 30th, 2006 at 5:33 pm

Antonio provided a great deal of information and I didn’t get it all the first time I listened, so this will be a repeater for sure! Having visited Tuscany a couple of years ago I understand how small regions become a different wine even if it is the same fruit! It really is the notion of PLACE makes a big difference in the wine. I’m looking forward to the next installment and ready to head out and buy some wines from Piedmont!

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 30th, 2006 at 5:48 pm

David, you must be a mind reader. Brian and I were saying the same thing. The show is so stuffed with cool tibits of information we should have it transcribed.

5. 5 Bill Curtis Jan 31st, 2006 at 12:19 am

Wonderful show – My favorites are Italian wines, but through Grape Radio I am learning to love French, California, Australian, New Zealand wines as well. Will work my way to Portugal and Spain soon.

Down the road maybe a spotlight on:

Brunello

Vin Santo (a dessert wine)

Chianti (inc. Classico vs. outer Chianti)

and newer Tuscan Cabernet / Merlot wines (aka Super Tuscans)

Bolgheri producers

out in Abruzzo there is an elusive producer named Valentini

and near Naples you have Greco du Tufo, Fiano di Avellino and Taurasi

and there are some many more….

6. 6 John Gonzalez Feb 3rd, 2006 at 4:50 pm

What a great show, but the context in which I listened to it was especially poignant. I work for NBC Sports, and I’m in Torino for the Olympics. The usual second day jetlag thing kicked in about 1AM and I was wide awake. I’ve been an occasional Grape Radio listener, and during this sleepless moment I was happy to find the Piedmont show.
    I had on my desk half a bottle of a Barbera d’Alba left over from a great dinner. So I sipped on the remains of the tasty, amazingly inexpensive wine while listening to you guys and Antonio telling me all about the region. Can’t wait for part 2.
    Keep up the good work, and I’m raising another glass to the wonders of wifi and the internet.
    John Gonzalez
    Director, NBC Sports

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 3rd, 2006 at 7:46 pm

I am disappointed by your post. Occasional GrapeRadio listener? You obviously have not been listening to the subliminal message embedded in each show.

Your message resonated with me. Wine is more than grape juice in a bottle. It’s about those magical moments that touch your soul. I would bet that as special and unique reporting on the Olympic is, the aromas of that Barbera, the mystical wonder of the probability of being able to listen to someone like Antonio at the same time will stay with you forever.

If you want to come on the show and talk about your wine experiences while covering the Olympics, let me know. It would be a cool addition to the show.

8. 8 Lynn Alleva Lilley Mar 3rd, 2007 at 4:10 am

We will be visiting Abruzzo in mid march 2007 and am taking the opportunity to visit some vineyards there (Masciarelli and others). I’m new to your program having come across your website while researching wines from Abruzzo.

I and my family are American and living in Kyrgyzstan, Central Asia. We’ve been here for almost three years and I’ve continued to research and learn about wine production and tasting one my own when possible. I’ve visited vineyards here in the Fergana Valley and kept in touch with at least one local producer (self-taught) of wine whose company sells at high volumes. His wine needs much improvement, but he is a dedicated businessman and wine producer so when the markets improve, so (hopefully) will his wine.

In any case, I just wanted to make a connection and see if you get this email. Looking forward to checking out your show.

Lynn

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 3rd, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Sure nice of you to comment. No matter where one goes in the world, a connection to wines can always be found. I would be interested in talking to some of the winemakers you have meant. Put us in touch.

1. 1 Antonio Galloni On the Wines of Piedmont… « Vinifera CT Weblog pingback on Apr 21st, 2008 at 6:49 pm