A Walk Through New Zealand – Part 3

nzmain3.jpg
Pinot Noir from the Central Otago has Become Very Popular.

In this final installment of “A Walk Through New Zealand” we cover all the things you want to know about the diverse growing regions of New Zealand. Russell talks about the top wines and also gives us a few clues about the up and coming wineries.

To find out more about todays guest: Click Here

Sponsor: Wine Away, The Red Wine Stain Remover: wineaway.com

Click Here to Buy Wine Away Now!

newzealandwinemap.gif

12 Responses to “A Walk Through New Zealand – Part 3”

1. 1 Matthew Heaney Mar 6th, 2006 at 10:30 am

About the exclaimation mark in iTunes.

That flag means that you haven’t listened to the podcast in while, so iTunes stops automatically downloading podcasts from that feed.

You can test this yourself by clicking on the exclaimation point: you should get a pop-up dialog that says that iTunes has stopped downloading this.

The dialog box will ask whether you want to resume updating this podcast, so just click on the Yes button.

You can also right-click (if you have a two-button mouse) or single-click (but keep the mouse button pressed for a half-second or so) on the feed name (“Grape Radio”) and choose “Update Podcast” from the pop-up menu.

It’s not necessary to delete the podcast feed and then re-subscribe. All you need to do is manually download one podcast and then automatic downloads will resume.

Send me some email if you need help.

-Matt

2. 2 Ivan Mar 6th, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Hey Guys,

I continue to enjoy the show. Glad to see what I have
    to look forward to up till May!

I like that fact that you stay focused on the land and
    wine makers, but the occasional foray into the tasters
    and critics made me think: Have you ever read “The
    Accidental Connoisseur : An Irreverent Journey Through
    the Wine World” by Lawrence Osbourne? It may be a
    good show idea if you want to do a show that gets at
    developing your own taste for foreign and domestic
    wines. It as Kermit mentions on the back cover is not
    a book for wine snobs.

Cheers,
    Ivan

3. 3 Eric Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:05 pm

Great Site!!!

Ivan mentions “The Accidental Connoisseur” – I’ve just finished “American Vintage: The Rise of American Wine” by Paul Lukacs. A great read for those just starting out in the “Wine World” and for those in the midst of the never ending journey. Jennifer Rosen once said “The more I learn about wine – the less I know”. For those of us that are already immersed in the subject; this is a great read for us as well.

Cheers!

4. 4 Murray Mar 7th, 2006 at 2:28 am

Hi Guys,

Loved the NZ three part series, even though I am from Australia, I had heard very little about NZ wines other than sauv blanc and pinot. Will definitely be on the look out for some NZ gewurz and riesling in the future.

5. 5 Tim Meranda Mar 9th, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Great series on New Zealand! I might suggest that you publish a map of the Country to go along with the walking tour.

6. 6 Bill Curtis Mar 9th, 2006 at 6:41 pm

Last year I also read “The Accidental Connoisseur : An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World” by Lawrence Osbourne?” Having just finished Kermit Lynch’s older book “Adventure on the Wine Trail” I would have to agree they are in a similar style – both are clearly written.

Andy Besch’s book, “The Wine Guy” is in a little different vein – he gives you a broad overview of what is out there and encourges you to experiment and after you discover what you like there are suggestions on other styles you may want to try.

Many of the other books out there are interesting, but often are collections of specific tasting notes (including many of Parker’s as well as Kermit’s new book, “Inspiring Thirst”), rather than a general overview.

This series on New Zealand as well as the previous one on the Piedmont region were both excellent series. I applaud Grape Radio for sharing with us articulate, passionate regional enthusiasts to broaden our knowledge on the world of wine.

I also noticed the sidebar for GrapeRadio Europe. Please elaborate on what is the vision is for this new venture (if you are able to at this time)?

7. 7 Charity Stephenson Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for these three great episodes on NZ wine. And very timely as well since my fiance and I are heading to the South Island of NZ for our honeymoon in April. As wine lovers, we are very much looking forward to trying the best wines NZ has to offer in Marlborough, Central Otago, and Waipura. Thanks to your guest, Russell Briggs, we will be seeking out the wines that he has recommended to try in the area.

If you find out more info on the wineries of South Island NZ before April, please post it and we will check them out!!

Charity

8. 8 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 12th, 2006 at 7:49 am

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I have no one question for you. What wine will you be serving for you reception?

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:03 pm

The New Zealand wine region map has been added above.

GrapeRadio

10. 10 Robert Birch Mar 15th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

Great show on New Zealand! I hope you have more shows that walk through the regions of a particular country our state!

Really enjoyed the show!

11. 11 Paul Irving Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:23 am

having stumbled into podcasts and hearing GR has meant I have now had to go back through your entire archive. It is great, especially the series on NZ, my home, & Russell gave a wonderful intro to our regions and styles. My wife & I had our honeymoon in central Otago, & came home with 10 cases of a range of local pinots which I am beginning to learn about. Always happy to learn about wine from home & away.

cheers

Paul

12. 12 Jim Fleming Aug 9th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Hello Gentlemen… I’ve been going thru the shows from Show #1, up to and thru now. There was a brief discussion about screw caps vs. corks. It came out that there would be more space under the screwcap than there would be under a cork, which makes sense.

Jay asked todays guest, albiet jokingly, if there would be more wine put into the bottles. It was a cute off the cuff comment and it was very appropriate, Jay.

Here comes the wine geek part now: Wine Makers are not in business to give wine away. Think about 1/4 oz of wine, times one million bottles from John Cassella’s winery alone. That would be about 1,953 gallons of wine for just one million bottles… UGH! Too much geek stuff, and too many numbers.

I work in a factory that makes wine bottles. What in actuality would happen in such a case as converting from cork finished bottles to screw cap finished bottles, is that the bottles would be redesigned, and most likely it would be shortened slightly in the area of the bottle we call the body of the bottle, yet allowing for a nice long neck, etc…

I know this comment comes waaay late, but hopefully you gents will notice, and forgive my geekyness… LOL!

Thanks, Cheers, and Take Care,