You Have the Wine List – Now What?

winelistmain.jpg

What is the proper wine etiquette for a business dinner? Choosing the proper bottle of wine? What about clients that don’t drink? The GrapeRadio crew and our guest help sort out the answers to these tough questions.

Our guest is Sommelier and Wine Educator Marlene Rossman. Marlene is President of Manhattan Wine Seminars, head of wine studies at UC Irvine and formerly taught wine education at New York’s French Culinary Institute. She develops custom wine education programs for Fortune 500 corporations and is the managing editor for Wine Country International Magazine.

To find out more about todays guests:

Wine County Magazine: Click Here
Manhattan Wine Seminars: Click Here
UC Irvine, Corporate Wine Studies Program: Click Here

Sponsor: Quality Price Ratio Wine Buying Guide: www.qprwines.com
(GrapeRadio Listeners Save $5.00)

15 Responses to “You Have the Wine List – Now What?”

1. 1 MJB Mar 27th, 2006 at 6:19 am

I have always read that the pronunciation of Haut-Brion as “Ho Bryan” is from a passage in Samuel Pepys’s diary on 10th April 1663. I’ve never read where Thomas Jefferson is credited as having said the same over 100 years later. Please advise.

2. 2 John Weippert Mar 30th, 2006 at 6:59 am

As you know I have been listening for quite some time and this was one of the more entertaining and educational podcasts I think you have done. I enjoyed Marlene’s style and appreciated her knowledge and candor as a Sommelier.

Once again thank you for a great show. I learn more and more about wine everything I go to iTunes and listen to the podcast.

John

3. 3 Marlene Rossman Mar 30th, 2006 at 9:15 am

The Jefferson story is apocryphal, but here is his written quote, “Thomas Jefferson, then an envoy from the United States to Paris, came to Haut Brion on May 25, 1787…In a letter to John Bondfield, honorary American consul in Bordeaux, Jefferson wrote: ‘Haut Brion is a wine of the first rank and seems to please the American palate more than all the others that I have been able to taste in France.’ His correspondence shows that, thanks to his gifts and counsel, the wines of Haut-Brion were served at the White House not only by Jefferson when he was president, but by Presidents Washington, Madison, and Monroe as well.”
    Jefferson may have gotten his spoken corrupted pronunciation from Pepys.
    __________
    Cheers!
    Marlene Rossman, MBA, MA
    Consultant, Corporate Wine Studies
    University of California, Irvine

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 30th, 2006 at 9:51 am

John, we hope to convince Marlene to guest host shows with us. I am pleased to see that you like her as much as we do.

5. 5 John Weippert Mar 30th, 2006 at 6:14 pm

Marlene quoted a spanish saying, what was the saying and translation?

6. 6 Steve Mar 30th, 2006 at 9:04 pm

My wife and I met two other couples, both of which are also into wine, for dinner at an average-at-best Italian restaurant. We intentionally left our wine at home so that the table would “represent” properly and buy at least some juice from the house.

It turned out that only one bottle was brought into the restaurant. It was a 2001 Paraduxx. Never in a million years would any of us have guessed that this place would have it on the list…but they did, right down to the same vintage!

In fact they had a great selection, from ideal vintages, and at somewhat reasonable prices. Maybe that’s a reward for eating their food.

Anyway, what the heck do you do in that situation?

7. 7 Marlene Rossman Mar 31st, 2006 at 8:39 am

The Spanish toast is as follows: Salud, Amor y Pesetas, y el tiempo para disfrutarlos. Which means: Health, Love and Money and the time to enjoy them!

__________
    Cheers!
    Marlene Rossman, MBA, MA
    Consultant, Corporate Wine Studies
    University of California, Irvine

8. 8 Marlene Rossman Mar 31st, 2006 at 8:40 am

Steve,

I think I understand the comment/question. One of the other couples brought a bottle of Paraduxx into the restaurant and the place HAD the wine. Solution: Put the bottle back into the car/purse/shopping bag and buy off the wine list.

__________
    Cheers!
    Marlene Rossman, MBA, MA
    Consultant, Corporate Wine Studies
    University of California, Irvine

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Mar 31st, 2006 at 11:55 am

It the case with Steve, he could have opened his botlle and bought a different bottle off the list.

10. 10 Nikki Martin Apr 1st, 2006 at 3:05 pm

I really enjoyed Marlene’s show. It was very approachable and educational. Thank you Marlene for taking the time to share your weath of knowledge.

11. 11 Roland Lundall Apr 3rd, 2006 at 4:13 am

Hi to all

I Roland Lundall am a sommelier in Sweden and I am studying for my masters sommelier exam.My girl friend found out about your show and since last year October I have downloaded so many and it has been such a great help for me.Your shows are great and I hope in the future in could have more indepth shows about Italy and Spain.These are hard regions to learn and I have already enjoyed your shows about the Piedmont area.Also if you could have a show about Chilean wines and its regions.

I will email you more in the future as I now download all your shows.Keep up the great love for wines have a grape day.

Roland Lundall

12. 12 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Nikki, IMHO, Marlene is way cool. I just love her energy. Trust me, we get her back in the studio.

Roland, thanks for the kind words. Master Sommelier? Perhaps we should sign you up for GrapeRadio-Sweden. :-)

13. 13 Sandy Godfrey Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:43 pm

Hi Guys, I enjoyed this show too. I am a winemaker in the Clare Valley, South Australia. Before I started winemaking I was a Sommelier. I find the idea of taking your own glasses to a restaurant pretty interesting, I don’t think I could do it. If the restaurant was worth its salt I think they would be insulted.

Also, the notion of the business lunch or dinner and the role of the Sommelier and wine choice is hard, I agree. However, I find that if the restaurant is good enough to have a Sommelier then I really enjoy just letting them choose everything. Tell them you don’t want menus or wine lists, tell them any allergies or dislikes you have in terms of food and wine and perhaps quietly a guide to how much you want to spend on wine and food and let them do the rest. Some of the greatest dinners I’ve ever had have been like this.

Anyway, keep up the good work… the sound is loud and clear down here!

Sandy

14. 14 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 5th, 2006 at 9:53 am

sandy, are you the winemaker for Tim Adams? I like your wine. I will visit a restaurant first before I bring stems. I want to get the lay of the land.

I like your approach of talking to the sommelier. Very open.

15. 15 Sandy Godfrey Apr 5th, 2006 at 5:39 pm

Jay, No I’m not the Winemaker. Tim is the Winemaker. I’m his Assistant Winemaker. I’m glad you like the wines. I spend alot of time in my car and I use the time to listen to the show. I like it alot.

I spent much of my time as a Sommelier working in Sydney and I spent much of that time encouraging customers to trust me to make the decisions. The rewards were always excellent.

Thanks for the quick response.

Sandy