You Know You’re a Wine Geek When?

winegeek.jpg

“Wine Geeks” are members of a unique subclass of individuals who spend all their time, money and energy worshipping that elusive perfect glass of wine – literally chasing it around the world.

Come join GrapeRadio and find out if you too should be call “A Wine Geek”.

To enter our contest “The Biggest Wine Geek” just click on the wine blog below and tell us about your most wine geekie moment. To Enter: Click Here.

The winner selected was: Bill Perry

The winner will receive a signed copy of George Taber’s Judgement of Paris. Contest expires May 31st, 2006.

Sponsor: Netwine Company of Japan – Gift Delivery: netwine.co.jp

37 Responses to “You Know You’re a Wine Geek When?”

1. 1 Rod Schiffman May 1st, 2006 at 7:20 am

You hop in a car Friday morning to Drive 650 miles for a nearly complete verticle tasting of Leonetti the next morning. Go to an offline that evening of WCWN folks who came to the tasting. Hop in your car and drive 650 miles back on Sunday — and it’s not the first time you’ve done an insane trip like that.

2. 2 Katie Pizzuto May 1st, 2006 at 12:13 pm

You wake up at approximately 6:30am and your husband is staring at you because while dreaming, you apparently raved very LOUDLY about the Brunello you were drinking and woke him out of a sound sleep. I’m even a wine geek in my damned DREAMS!

3. 3 Gregg Johnson May 1st, 2006 at 1:00 pm

You Know You’re a Wine Geek When?

You fly to Napa Valley from Tennesse, purchase 2 cases of wine to have shipped to your home, but the wine isn’t on your doorstep when you arrive, and you’re back on a Saturday. Knowing that you can’t buy wine on a Sunday in Tennessee, you make a mad dash to the local Wine Shoppe to pick up a couple of bottles to get you through Sunday. Why? because you’re a wine geek and you don’t have to prove to your non-wine-geek wife that you can make it one day without wine!

4. 4 Bill Peary May 1st, 2006 at 1:04 pm

You know you are a wine geek when:
    1.You are embarrassed to put out the overflowing recycling tub with way too many empty bottles.
    2.You buy 12 bottles of $11.00 wine and then ask the check out girl to pack it in the Veuve Clicqout box.
    3. Your 21 and 23 year old daughters show up more often to raid the wine fridge and they ask”All out of the Silver Oak?” with their noses starting to point up…
    4.You fly to Santiago, jump in a car, drive to Montes Winery just in time for it to close and your wife starts to cry…
    5.You have over 60 pairs of collectable champagne flutes in a lighted, shrine like cabinet..
    6. You judge the worlds ecomomy buy the price fluctuation of a bottle of Piper Hiedsieck brut..
    7.”Wine and Champagne” are a separate collum on your monthly household budget spreadsheet..
    8.You are convinced that all wines are good, some wines are great and somes wines you would trade a body part for..
    9.I will stop now. It’s after 5 and it time for a glass of red.
    Bill in Austin Texas

5. 5 GrapeRadio Bunch May 1st, 2006 at 1:19 pm

I think I would call that level of geekdom “over the top”. :-)

6. 6 wineboffin May 1st, 2006 at 3:52 pm

Hmmm..well let’s see. In December I flew 18,000 kms and spend 0ver 30 hours in airplanes to visit Margaret River and the Hunter Valley.

I just got a new mobile phone and the last four digits of the phone number which I got to choose are 9466(WINO)

Other than I’d have to say my other Wine Geek moments are when friends invite me over for Dinner and I bring my own Riedel stems everytime. My friends are not usually amused.

I’m sure ther are many other moments it’s just that they seem so ‘normal’ to me.

7. 7 tvpnyc May 2nd, 2006 at 6:16 am

1) planning vacation destinations that specifically cater to wine experiences, wineries, studying or simply enjoying.
    2) showing up at local wine tastings w/ your own wine glasses (not just one, mind you)– 3-4 depending on graper variety.
    3) choosing your circle of friends if they also share a passion for wine. if they don’t?– they’re out!
    4) my ipod has become wine-podcast central… i don’t even know if my ipod has the ability to play rock’n'roll anymore!
    5) wine lists are always handed to me when out at restaurants– simply by default. guests and friends don’t even ask about it anymore– it’s simply passed to me.
    6) when friends call me from japan, england, canada and all over the states from their local wine shop– asking what they sould purchase…
    7) 8-10 different sets of wine glasses per grape varietal.. keep in mind i live in NYC– we don’t have that kind of storage capacity in our apts!

8. 8 Steve May 2nd, 2006 at 9:44 am

Out of habit, you swirl your water glass.

9. 9 Jason Adams May 2nd, 2006 at 10:16 am

1) It is early evening and you are not home from work yet (probably at a tasting) and you get a call from your wife asking what she can drink. Even though you have a cellar full of wine and a wine fridge stocked as well the answer is always the same. “Nothing”.
    2) You are proud to drag the overflowing recycling tub to the curb filled with way too many empty bottles.
    3) You have the “wine credit card” where the bill is sent to the office lest the significant other sees how much you are spending on wine.
    4) No matter how stocked the cellar, any recipe that calls for wine means a trip to the liquor store.

10. 10 Doug Smith May 2nd, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Ooof, I’m not going to add to these… I’m a wine geek for sure, with the stems and carrier that I use infrequently and the whole nine yards. But I will add one thing. You may not need to be a wine geek to have a copy of Taber’s _Judgment of Paris_, and to have liked it a whole lot, but I can’t see how you could be a geek *without* having one, at least in the US!

:-)

11. 11 WineRebel May 2nd, 2006 at 12:01 pm

You know you are a wine geek when tasting wine is not enough, so you start a wine blog.

The definition of Wine insanity is when you realize that a blog isn’t enough and you start a podcast.

Cheers to the rest of crazy’s out there.

12. 12 Ezra May 2nd, 2006 at 10:15 pm

Out of habit, you AERATE your beverage (be it water, oj, soda, etc.) with the customary drawing in of air through the newly-formed “O” of your mouth.

13. 13 Gregg Johnson May 3rd, 2006 at 12:12 am

1. You go to a wine tasting and become annoyed at the fact that the perfume emanating from the woman that just walked past you is interfering with your nose.

2. It’s 3am and you’re still checking the Grape Radio website for updates.

14. 14 Jon Bjork May 3rd, 2006 at 5:50 am

You know you’re a wine geek when…
    - You and your wife whip out the wine wheels and start taking notes at the dinner table.
    - You set up a party with friends to blind taste Pinots from brown paper bags.
    - Your friends are mostly wine geeks too.
    - You whip out a photo copied mini wine wheel at a tasting room bar and take notes into your Palm Pilot, which later syncs to your cellar inventory database.
    - You buy frozen Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah grapes to make your own wine.
    - You buy bonzai Cabernet Sauivigon vines and plant them in a 12 inch strip of dirt by the patio of your apartment.
    - You volunteer to spend your weekend pouring at tasting rooms to get more wine for “free.”
    - You take all the great classes you can afford at UC Davis Extension.
    - You leave your hi-tech career and actually depend on the wine industry for your relatively measely income.
    Maybe this actually means you’re a wine zombie when it goes that far!

15. 15 Maggie May 3rd, 2006 at 8:20 pm

After listening to Grape Radio’s “Tour of Germany”, you spend an hour on the train to get to your snotty boutique wine shop and casually ask for a German Pinot Noir. You’re told that “there really is no such thing”. You wait until he’s just getting comfortable again and quietly say…”spatburgunder”? You just rellish that embarassed, caught off guard, deer-in-the-headlights look, as they stutter that “oh yes, well, um, err, we don’t have any of those.” The sweet satisfaction of one-upping your self-important wine merchant! Thanks Grape Radio!

16. 16 GrapeRadio Bunch May 4th, 2006 at 8:10 am

These comments are priceless. I have been LMAO all week. Thanks to you all.

17. 17 Randy K. Walker May 4th, 2006 at 8:36 am

You questioned whether or not you can take a corkscrew on an airplane. According to the following link you can.

18. 18 Rich Viglucci May 4th, 2006 at 9:17 am

My story is:

Last summer I took two of my friends (who are not wine drinkers) on a day trip wine tour of the NY Cayuga Lake Wine Trail. Why I’m a wine geek…. Well I’m very proud that my one friend jacob became a total wine geek after this trip, told everyone how exciting it was, and now I have a whole bunch of people wanting me to take them on a wine tour. So this summer I am taking a group of people on a weekend long wine trip of the Finger Lake Region in NY.

19. 19 13Cepages May 4th, 2006 at 2:56 pm

You know you’re a wine geek when…

-You rush to the yahoo site to register the “wine.geek” email address before it gets snatched up by another grape radio listener.
    -You purchase a house built 110 years ago because it includes a subterranean “root cellar” which of course works perfectly for a wine cellar.
    -You design and plan any vacations around the wine regions in the area you are visiting.
    -You build an entire website (for free) to support the local wineries in your area (and to hopefully receive the “industry discount” at said wineries).
    -You are the designated corporate wine picker for company dinner functions.
    -You receive emails from people you don’t know wanting help on wine selections?

-Ron

20. 20 Youndy Hung May 5th, 2006 at 7:20 am

“- You set up a party with friends to blind taste Pinots from brown paper bags.”

hey, I resemble that remark…

also, how about when you walk thru a restaurant and you HAVE to check out every bottle on every table you pass, to the great consternation of your wife (and waiter).

Youndy

21. 21 Jo Olkowski May 5th, 2006 at 10:00 am

You know you’re a wine geek when you _look_ for events to post on wine event sites and, obviously, post them.

You know you’re a wine geek when your bookshelf’s capacity is stressed so much by the weight of your wine books that it collapses (and it did … on ME).

You know you’re a wine geek when you can price quote several different store wine prices off the top of your head (for more than one wine).

You know you’re a wine geek when you wince every time you have to explain what the “two-buck chuck” is, where to find it, and that “Charles Shaw” is the same thing.

You know you’re a wine geek when you scream at your mother (or anyone, for that matter) that Zinfandel is really a red grape.

You know you’re a wine geek if you know the right way to pronouce Meritage and what grapes make up the blend.

You know you’re a wine geek when you stop at restaurants just to look at the wine list just to see what the have (then leave).

You know you’re a wine geek when your name tag at the wine store you work is your favorite varietal … and so does your license plate (not me: http://www.merchantsfinewine.com/specialty_experts.html – Don is tagged Mr. Zinfandel and his plate is ZINMAN).

22. 22 Charity Stephenson May 6th, 2006 at 1:38 pm

You know youre a wine geek when you can name the restaurants in your city that have a Wine Spectator cup rating…or if travelling somewhere else, consult the Wine Spectator to see if there are any 1, 2, or 3 cup restaurants in the area.

Also, you know youre a wine geek when you schedule your honeymoon around the wine regions of New Zealand. And when you get back to the U.S., you tout the benefits of screw caps to all your wine geek friends!!

23. 23 Douglas May 6th, 2006 at 6:50 pm

Here are some more, at the advice of my lawyer, I won’t say which of these actually apply to me!

Your friends refer to you as “Miles” and are prone to hiding their Merlot whenever you visit.

You own the full length DVD of the TV series Mondovino (not the edited version that was released as a movie in the U.S.)

You have been heard to lament “Why does Tara Reid have a daily TV talk show . . . and Karen MacNeil doesn’t?”

You have vertical collections of books, in addition to bottles (Kevin Zraly, Robert Parker, etc.)

You were downloading and listening to wine podcasts before iTunes made it so easy

24. 24 Eric LeVine May 8th, 2006 at 12:54 pm

You know you are a geek AND a wine geek when you think it would be fun to build a web-based database to keep track of your collection, just so you can get to it from your cellphone. You know, just for kicks, in your spare time. Yep, that’s how CellarTracker got started–it was just for ME to use all by myself…

25. 25 David May 8th, 2006 at 4:42 pm

You know your a wine geek when:

1) you plan a vacation and ship your wine ahead so it doesn’t have bottle shock when you open it.
    2) you get a speciality license plate with a “heart”R (love)R of wn
    3) you take your own wine and stems to a restaurant and still look at the line list to see what they have you have
    4) you fly long distances because you have been invited to dinner at a winery with the wine maker – arrive on Saturday, have dinner, leave on Sunday

and the list is endless!

I laughed throughout the show! Nice one Jay, Brian and Eric!

26. 26 Collin May 9th, 2006 at 3:09 pm

When some one at a party asks you if you want a cocktail & all you say is “No thanks, I don’t drink distilled spirits.”

27. 27 Steve Elzer May 13th, 2006 at 7:49 am

You know you’re a wine geek when:

1. You break out your Le Nez Du Vin kit and train and test your 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son on smelling and identifying leadind scents in wine.

2. You show up at the Wine Spectator grand tasting in Las Vegas and you’re more excited about meeting Jay Selman and the grape radio crew than most of the other high profile wine cognescenti in the room — i think that pretty much defines geekdom right there!

3.) You start to treat your regular UPS and Federal Express delivery guys like extended members of your family.

28. 28 Paul Irving May 15th, 2006 at 3:14 am

You know you are a wine geek when:

On my honeymoon ywo years ago, I planned our trip around the vineyards of Central Otago, NZ, so that I could try their Pinot Noir. Then, having discovered and listened to Grape Radio and in particular, the Pinot Showdown series, so I could learn more about Pinot, I was son incensed by the bigotry, that I arranged my recent trip to Europe from NZ so I could travel through Los Angeles. This permitted me to visit LWC and Arcadian Vineyards and try the various varities of Californian Pinot Noir for myself, so I could compare. Then, from London, I travelled to Paris to visit the Wine Museum there to spend an afternoon in a Pinot Noir masterclass, with Burgundian experts. So, I found out that NZ Pinot (Otago) is much more like traditional Burgundian Pinot, and I like both Californian wines. Having got home last week, I now have lots of new friends across three continents, know more about Pinot and brought home more for the collection, and also brought home a set of Eisch breathable glasses. My wife understands all this, so now I have the best of all worlds!

29. 29 GrapeRadio Bunch May 16th, 2006 at 4:37 am

I have been LMAO for the last few weeks. I can see myself in so many of these comments.

30. 30 Roy Wagner May 18th, 2006 at 10:30 am

You know you are a wine geek when you “must” (no pun intended) listen to the GrapeRadio” podcast every time you drive to wine tasting. And then during the tasting there is “always” something that you’ve just heard from the podcast that you must tell everyone at the tasting.

31. 31 Ted Erfer May 24th, 2006 at 5:17 pm

You know your are a WG when all of the above are familiar to you.
    Plus:

When you walk into a BYO restaurant you can’t help but look what everyone else has brought and you brought the best.

When all your internet favorites are wine sites.

You are on a business trip to Seattle and have dinner with Eric rather than your clients…….(certainly better choice)

The wine list is the only thing in your pre-nup.

You now only follow the wine shipping laws rather than changes to the tax code or where George Bush plans to attack next.

You always take an extra suitcase to bring back wine from every trip to California.

You look on the UPS tracking site five times a day to see where the shipment is now.

You look in medical journals for research proving drinking wine is healthy.

Probably a lot more but I need to go back to work:)

32. 32 GrapeRadio Bunch May 25th, 2006 at 4:21 am

Ted, LMAO. You know you are a wine geek when your internet post are all time stamped during your working hours.

33. 33 Steve Nyburg May 27th, 2006 at 1:56 pm

You know you’re a wine geek when your son points to a bottle in a wine shop and says, “That’s serious wine, Dad!”

34. 34 Eric LeVine May 29th, 2006 at 10:39 am

Nice Ted. Just think, you could have been schmoozing MSFT people instead of drinking 1990 Troplong Mondot. :)

35. 35 steve elzer Jun 8th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

So guys, who won the contest?

36. 36 kristi Jun 10th, 2006 at 2:10 pm

you abandon pursuit of a phd in a very lucrative industry to take a low wage job in the wine industry

37. 37 Bill Peary Jun 12th, 2006 at 7:29 pm

So, when do you announce a winner???So great ones here!!!