Mondavi – 40 Years in Napa

mondavimain.jpg
The GrapeRadio Crew with the Mondavi Family

One of the single greatest forces in the creation of our modern day wine cultures has been Robert Mondavi.
taste3logo.jpg

Today we are joined by Margrit Mondavi who takes us on a journey through a few of the families many innovations and achievements.

To find out more about todays guests go to:

- Mondavi Winery: www.robertmondaviwinery.com
- Taste 3 Event: www.taste3.com

Sponsor: Festival Season of Miami: www.festivalseason.com

Click Here: Robert Mondavi Winery

If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:

Audio #15: Shafer Vineyards with Doug Shafer
Audio #16: The Wines of Bob Foley
Audio #103: Bo Barrett and Ch. Montelena
Audio #108: Winery Profile: Trefethen Vineyards
Audio #125: Winery Profile: Staglin Family
Video #1: The Staglin Family
Audio #148: Wine Maker Profile: Mike Trujillo
Audio #186: Chateau Mouton Rothschild
Audio #197: The Wines of Dunn Vineyards
Audio #211: Opus One

If you like this show check out:

11 Responses to “Mondavi – 40 Years in Napa”

1. 1 Brian Weeden Jun 20th, 2006 at 7:26 am

I am an American military officer and recently married a Canadian
    military officer. My wife’s job requires that we move back to Canada
    sometime in the next 2 years. We have been looking into the rules
    concerning bringing our wine cellar with us and were quite shocked at
    what we found.

According to the Canadian government, we first need to get a license
    which would cost $1.00 a bottle. But on top of that, we would have to
    pay $1.00 a bottle in tax to the Provincial government and 50% of the
    value of each bottle in taxes to the Federal government.

This is absolute insanity. Our cellar is only 300 bottles or so, yet it
    is going to cost us thousands to bring it with us. Can you guys bring
    this up on your show and ask your contacts in the wine industry and/or
    your listeners to see if there is a better way? I would think that
    maybe it would be cheaper to simply get an importer license but I am not
    sure.

Any help is much appreciated.

Brian

2. 2 Chad Jun 21st, 2006 at 10:53 am

Off topic post warning… There’s another missing wine term from your list: prosecco. This is an important one heading into the summer months!

3. 3 Tonya Evans-Walls Jun 21st, 2006 at 5:15 pm

The Mondavi podcast is a keeper! Delightful, informative. Truly enjoyable. The history, and stories, Mrs. Mondavi’s wit, charm, knowledge and personality, and my rememberances of the time my husband and I spent at the Mondavi property with our strolling tasting, all worked to together to make this cast particularly special. I also enjoyed the World of Pinot podcasts. I’ll be listening again and again and spreading the word about Grape Radio!

Signed,
    Emerging vinophiles from Philadelphia
    Tonya Evans-Walls and O. Russel Walls, III

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Jun 21st, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Tonya, she one cool lady. I was so nervous about talking to her. But but me at ease with here sense of humor and love of life. People like her reminds me of why I love wine so much.

5. 5 Charlie Jul 14th, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Great interview and I love Mondavi wines (this was the first winery i visited – 1980), but is the picture heading this broadcat a photoshop job or not. My guess is yes.
    Charlie

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 14th, 2006 at 9:22 pm

If you mean by photoshop: Did we add ourselves in? = No, it is real. That is Jay and I with the Mondavi Family at the 2006 Napa Valley Auction this June. The photo had to be cut a little weird to make it fit on the site but we had a great time with them.

Brian

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 15th, 2006 at 3:37 am

Charlie, how very weird for you to mention that about photoshop. I swear to you I had the same thought when I looked at the picture yesterday. It’s been up for a while, but for some reason I just noticed something strange about the photo. Brian looks normal (in this context :-) However, my head looks like it was stuck in. I remember what I was thinking at the time Eric took the picture “I better get in the picture as proof I met all the Mondavi family.

8. 8 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 24th, 2006 at 1:38 pm

I have to admit, this is an LOL moment for me! As the amateur photographer and even more amateur photoshopper, I can testify to what happened in the photo.

Jay only “appears” to be added-in. He was seated in the foreground, and therefore got more of the flash, has a bit more contrast, and is more in-focus than the rest of the party. Both Brian and Tim Mondavi were standing to the right, and at about 6′+ tall each they would have both been decidedly cut out of the picture, if the photo were cut to the required size. Therefore, I “shortened” both of them in order to get them into the picture. Positioning is exactly the same otherwise, and this was the only photoshopping done – well, aside from the usual lighting balance issues.

Eric

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 24th, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Well Charlie. Just in case Brian’s comment did not convice you, I added my comment. Now Eric, piles on just in case you were still not convinced. Maybe you are on to something here. :-)

1. 1 Chateau Mouton Rothschild at Grape Radio pingback on Sep 12th, 2008 at 5:43 pm
  2. 2 Opus One at Grape Radio pingback on Sep 15th, 2008 at 1:00 am