The Institute of Masters of Wine

masterwinemain.jpg

The Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW) exists to promote the highest level of educational achievement for the wine industry, culminating in the internationally recognized qualification of Master of Wine (MW). As a corporate entity it organizes all aspects of the Master of Wine examination and education program, runs tastings and other events programs, provides membership services to the 251 MWs world-wide.

Our guest today is Dr. Patrick Farrell, MW – who discusses the IMW as well as his new wine invention.

- The Institute of Masters of Wine: www.masters-of-wine.org
- BevWizard: www.bevwizard.com

Sponsor: The Beaches of South Walton: www.beachesofsouthwalton.com

24 Responses to “The Institute of Masters of Wine”

1. 1 Frank White Jul 5th, 2006 at 2:32 pm

What an awful interview. Terribly dry, do not listen to in the car, you will fall asleep.

2. 2 Frank White Jul 5th, 2006 at 2:53 pm

The guest has the same problem as Jay: a complete lack of mid and end sylabil consonents. Question becomes quesssshion, cent becomes cen, et cetera. This isn’t a critique of the show just a locution pet peeve.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 6th, 2006 at 7:29 am

This is the first time I have heard of the problem. At 50, I doubt I could fix my failure to properly articulate syllables. If my problem is a distraction form the otherwise good content, I can spend less time on the mic.

I never really wanted to be “on the air”. We are working hard to find other hosts that fill in as needed. Eric now is fully on board and Marlene will be join us more often.

4. 4 Lloyd Grifols Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Frank, “syllable”, not “sylabil” AND “consonants”, not “consonents”. Sorry, couldn’t help myself; just a spelling pet peeve ; )

5. 5 Dixie Jul 7th, 2006 at 10:53 am

Hey Jay, I thought the interview was interesting. I have no problem understanding your voice. Don’t spend less time on the mic, your questions and comments have a common sense, practical approach that I really appreciate!

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 7th, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Dixie. As I mentioned in the past, when we started GR I said I would do it as long as I did not have to spend too much time on the mic. I am kind of a boring guy compared to Brian, Leigh and Eric. I also do not have the deep knowledge like Eric. Of course, that last point may be a plus because I ask questions so I can learn from the answer.

I liked the MW interview because there are more rumors than actual information about how the program works.

Lastly, I have been working hard to be a better communicator, I have cut down on many of my strange speech ticks (“You Knows”, “Like”, etc). I have no idea how to address this new one. Do not get me wrong, I do not want to blow the comment way out of proportion, I just want to do the best I can.

7. 7 Christopher Armstrong Jul 8th, 2006 at 7:08 pm

I found this show very enjoyable to listen to in my car today. I wish I could contribute more to, or at least have the opportunity of listening to more offerings within the service side of things and the organizations that support and certify the same.

All the best,

Chris Armstrong
    GM/ Wine Director

8. 8 Larry Larson Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:25 am

Jay,

I think Frank White is definitely asleep at the wheel. Don’t worry about him you sound great. You always ask some thought provoking questions. I want to hear more Jay – Not less.

Larry

9. 9 Dezel Jul 10th, 2006 at 8:38 pm

All,

Whatever happened to mothers golden advice, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

I think the interview went well, quality and content wise. Do keep up the good work Jay, we thoroughly enjoy the show.

Dezel

10. 10 John Gonzalez Jul 12th, 2006 at 1:00 pm

Jay,
    If you guys were a group of professional broadcasters pronouncing every syllable perfectly Grape Radio wouldn’t have the warmth and texture that we all enjoy so much. Please don’t change a thing…just do more of it.
    John

John Gonzalez
    Director, NBC Sports/NFL Network

11. 11 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 12th, 2006 at 1:22 pm

John! How you doing my man? So the fact that I have the diction of a 5 year old is what makes the show endearing? :-) My dream of getting a gig as a professional broadcaster iis now crushed.

To be honest, I have been a tad depressed about the comment. The positive feedback here means more to me than you can ever imagine. At 50 years old, I still am trying to do better in all aspects of my life, not just GR. We did a podcast yesterday and I did not even think about my speech. I had a load of fun. Sounds to me like a game plan, just be myself, warts and all.

p.s We went to Schramsburg to do the interview and HD could not meet with us. We will try again. I like the guy.

12. 12 John Jul 17th, 2006 at 6:58 am

Don’t change anything about the show!! If someone doesn’t like how it’s done, they don’t have to listen!

13. 13 eltejano Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:51 am

I don’t agree w/ the first commenter’s post about Jay, but I do agree that the guest didn’t give great interview. His interview or mannerisms (?) are the type that put me off of wine and wine drinkers and I have to wait for the GrapeRadio bunch to speak to revive the enthusiasm. I’d rather just listen to you GR folks talk for an hour anyway.

14. 14 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:10 am

I will have to liosten to this interview again. I liked Jeff. He seemed to be a pretty pumped-up guy to me, so I did not get the same impression you did.

In general, do you prefer when we interview someone or just talk amongst ourselves?

15. 15 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:14 am

John, I am amazed at the number of comments that we have received that say “Do not change”. I honestly never knew that peoplw wanted to hear us as well as out guests. I am amazed.

16. 16 paul r Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:37 pm

jay,
    don’t be changing…. i think you sound wonderful and find your questions insightful. not completely wine geeky, but questions that i would like to know an answer.

eric brings a wondeful new quality to the show….. sarcasm. i love his humour. and i agree that he does bring an incredible wealth of knowledge. he is a great addition (not said sarcastically…)

with regards to the guest and the masters of wine program, i thought it informative; it informed me that my interest in wine has nothing to do with dr farrell and the iwm. lets pop some corks, drink some wine, and enjoy life…. perhaps somebody enjoys the sort of curriculum they put you through, but not me…..

and i found it somewhat amusing that (at least to me), dr farrell, who came off as a bit of a wine snob (for lack of a better term), and he’s making magnets to stick in wine to round out the flavors and age the wine quickly. somehow it was a tad ironic….. you know…. like….

paul.

17. 17 Craig P Jul 22nd, 2006 at 12:38 pm

I have to agree with the others that this was a terrible interview, one of several recently, not because of the GR guys, but the guy they were interviewing was, well, just horrible. As someone else noted, he was just an arrogant, obnoxious, ***hole of the type that turns people off on wine. The GR guys are great, because they’re so normal. In addition to being a tool, this guy also sells wine magnets, which kind of figures after listening to him. Actually, Jay, the worst part of the show was when you guys started sucking up to him by agreeing that his wine gizmo actually works. C’mon.

All that said, I do love GR, with a few exceptions. If I have any request, it would be more winemakers like Loring, Ontiveros, etc. and less people who try to make their living around wine like educators, distributors, etc.

Craig

18. 18 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 22nd, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Sucking up? Now that is cold Craig. I really do not think that was the case, but if that is the way it appeared, so be it. I guess we will have to chalk this show up as a dud from the perspective from the listeners. I guess we can not be ex[pected to get a hit every time. :-)

19. 19 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 24th, 2006 at 12:32 pm

Isn’t it ironic, Paul? Here I am trying to be satirical and I come off as sarcastic…or, is that sardonic. But seriously, while my humor is often dry, I hope it never offends anyone…well, except those who really deserve it.

And Craig, we weren’t sucking up. We had one of the working models of the device.

Eric

20. 20 Craig P Jul 31st, 2006 at 6:12 pm

Just listened to the first three Santa Rita Hills podcasts. You’re back on track and your sins will be forgiven since you’ve done proper penance.

Craig

21. 21 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 1st, 2006 at 4:10 am

LOL

22. 22 Natalie Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:50 am

We love GR we listen to it in our car all the time. You guys are great!!!! So much information…so much fun!!!
    This was not the best interview, I still don’t know what you do with a MW. But a show I didn’t care for would never make me stop downloading. Keep up the great work. Thanks

23. 23 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 9th, 2006 at 7:49 am

Natalie, according to Craig, we are absolved. I love that you mentioned fun! I mean we are talking wine here. No need to get all pompus and full of ourselves. That being said, I am wondering when we will start getting GROUPIES!

24. 24 Greg Sep 21st, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Jay,

Just listened to this show (I am a little behind in catching up). First, I do not agree with the negative comments on your diction or locution or whatever the complaint was. Frankly, you always ask the questions I want answered. You are a great interviewer – please keep up the good work.

As to the interviewee, I also thought he came across very dry, with little enthusiasm for the enjoyment of wine, despite your efforts. Clearly, obtaining a MW is hard work but he never really articulated its benefits (maybe because other than bragging rights there are none)?