Santa Rita Hills Roundtable – Part 2

santarita2main.jpg
Peter Cargassachi of Point Concepción Wines

Today, in Part two of our five part roundtable, Rick Longoria, Peter Cargasacchi and Wes Hagen discuss: regional terroir – is there one, or is the region just too young. Also, more about ripeness and balance, and how this is affected by wine critics, along with an assessment of the heat spikes during the 2004 vintage.

A few facts: the geography of this part of California is quite unique – the region is the only area on the Pacific Coast of North America with transverse, or east to west, mountain ranges. Adding further to the distinction of the Santa Rita Hills AVA, an ocean fog penetrates up to, and often past, the eastern end of the appellation, just outside the town of Buellton.

Links to todays guests:

Santa Rita Hills Wine Growers Alliance: www.staritahills.com

Rick Longoria, Longoria Wines: www.longoriawine.com
Wes Hagen, Clos Pepe Vineyards: www.clospepe.com
Peter Cargassachi, Point Concepción Wines: www.pointconcepcionwines.com

Sponsor: The Beaches of South Walton: www.beachesofsouthwalton.com

6 Responses to “Santa Rita Hills Roundtable – Part 2”

1. 1 Chris Jul 26th, 2006 at 5:58 pm

GrapeGuys,

I am really enjoying this roundtable mini-series. It’s a very interesting format and a nice change of pace from the usual (terrific) shows. Anything that gets me more frequent GR material is welcome :-). I am continually impressed at the quality of presentation and material you present. Thanks for all you do!

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 27th, 2006 at 2:16 am

Thanks Chris, we wanted to give this a try to see if people like it. We would like to do more of them because we can explore a subject in greater detail.

3. 3 Robert Aug 1st, 2006 at 11:31 am

Guys,

I always enjoy your shows but I have to say that, while this series was enjoyable, it was a bit much for me. Since I listen to my podcasts in order I got a little weary after about 90 minutes. I’d recommend keeping them to 3 parts. Other than that keep up the good work. I’d love to hear about more AVAs.

Regards,
    Robert

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 2nd, 2006 at 2:34 am

Robert, I am confused. We posted them in parts thinking that people would listen to them in 30 minute “installments” as opposed to all of them in 1 big chunk. Would that have worked for you?

5. 5 Brian C. Aug 4th, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Great shows so far. I listened to the first two parts twice each to make sure I was getting the finer details. As a wine enthusiast and as my palate develops, I really appreciate the “philosophy”, as Wes describes, of grapegrowing and harvesting balanced grapes that don’t require manipulation with water and acid at the winery. I understand how acidification and water can create a delicious wine, at least to many people, out of very ripe and unbalanced grapes, but I am very attracted to the notion of expression of the earth without too much engineering post-harvest. If the “macro/meso/microclimate” allows longer hang time, more phenolic maturity and greater extraction while maintaining natural balance, then that is fantastic. I don’t grow grapes and I don’t make wine, but I consume it and study it, and such wines get “extra credit” from me, including both the credit in my intellect and the credit in my wallet. But…to each his/her own.

To Brian, Jay and Eric, I like this format very much. I like exploration in depth, getting into a degree of sophistication, taking whatever time is needed, and breaking it into parts of convenient length.

6. 6 Robert Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:16 am

Jay,

Ah, I see. That might have worked really well if I were to update my podcasts daily. However, I download all my podcasts on Sunday evening so I got them all at once. Then when I listened they came in one right after the other.

I don’t know if others download their podcasts like this but it works for me.

Regards,