Wine Maker Profile: Bo Barrett, Ch. Montelena

bobarrett1main.jpg

Bo Barrett came to his winemaking job at Chateau Montelena the old fashioned way – he earned it. His family had recently bought the Chateau and overgrown property, so right after graduating from high school in 1972, Bo spent the summer working in the old vineyard and picking up rocks in preparation for replanting. So, becoming winemaker in 1982 was really just the natural progression of things. In addition to his practical experience, Bo obtained a degree in Viticulture and Enology from Fresno State.

Join us today as we discuss Chateau Montelena’s early years and the effects that the 1976 ‘Judgement of Paris’ had upon this iconic Napa winery, as well as the Calistoga AVA, and what it’s like to work in a family business.

Link to todays guest:

Chateau Montelena: www.montelena.com

Sponsor: The Beaches of South Walton: www.beachesofsouthwalton.com

Click Here: Chateau Montelena Winery

If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:

Audio #15: Shafer Vineyards with Doug Shafer
Audio #16: The Wines of Bob Foley
Audio #93: Mondavi – 40 Years In Napa
Audio #108: Winery Profile: Trefethen Vineyards
Audio #125: Winery Profile: Staglin Family
Video #1: The Staglin Family
Audio #148: Wine Maker Profile: Mike Trujillo
Audio #197: The Wines of Dunn Vineyards

6 Responses to “Wine Maker Profile: Bo Barrett, Ch. Montelena”

1. 1 Steve Aug 3rd, 2006 at 10:49 am

How is it that the higher the profile of the wine maker is, the higher the normal guy factor is??? I feel like I just hung out with Bo for an hour and we’re such good buddies I have him on my speed dial.

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 3rd, 2006 at 1:56 pm

You know, Steve, that’s exactly how we felt!

Eric

3. 3 Kevin Aug 3rd, 2006 at 6:14 pm

I agree with Steve. It’s so nice to hear someone who has been so successful not be an ego-maniac. Working in the investment business, most of those successful in my biz are most interested in showing off the porsche collection, wine collection ;) talking about themselves, etc. It is so refreshing to see a hall of famer with little to no ego. A rare thing these days…

Keep sharing the wonderful people with us fans and customers! Great work. oh yea, I too like the sensitive mic sound effects. In fact I had to smile when I heard you guys pouring yourself some juice during the interview. Keep up the good work and thanks for the wonderful content.

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 3rd, 2006 at 7:04 pm

He is very much like his wife, Heidi. A regular kind of guy. He even sent me an E-Mail thanking US for the interview. He said it was fun for him. Now I am bummed I did not ask him about his first date with Heidi. :-)

5. 5 Kevin Aug 10th, 2006 at 8:57 am

What a great interview, I agree with Steve and Kevin, after listening to Bo’s interview it seems like he and I are buddies now. It is very refreshing to know here is a person at the top of his game that is just a normal, well spoken guy willing to share some of his insight without a bunch of ego BS.

6. 6 John Aug 14th, 2006 at 8:11 pm

Been kinda busy lately so I threw a few shows on my ipod for a very long round-trip in my car over the weekend.
    The interview with Bo was about as good a “plain talk” interview as there is. Highly informative and educational. In a lot of ways that a lot of people might not fully appreciate. I listed to it a few times over a couple of days.
    I too, work for my old man so I can relate quite a bit to what it takes to work like a dog, not be afraid to say it, have fun, be real, make the best product, know WHY it’s the best , be comfortable and confident and simply invite people to “just try it.” Unquestionably the best so-called way to successfully “market” there is.
    I’ve visted Montelena before but never met him. I’ll make it a point to shake his hand and buy more of his wine next time I’m there.
    My best to Bo and the crew at Montelena and you guys for continuing to do an outstanding job.
    John-Ohio