2006 International Pinot Noir Celebration

2006ipnc.jpg

Today we are joined by Rusty Gaffney, The Prince of Pinot, who recently attended the 2006 IPNC which has been refered to as one of the worlds finest wine events.

Rusty takes us on a tour of the event and even gives a few recommendations on “must have” Pinot Noir’s .

- International Pinot Noir Celebration: www.ipnc.org
- Littorai: www.littorai.com
- Quails Gate Estate: www.quailsgate.com
- Saintsbury Vineyard: www.saintsbury.com
- Domaine Fougeray de Beauclair Bonnes-Mares: www.sa-fabre.com
- Le Clos Jordanne: wine.appellationamerica.com

Sponsor: Custom Crush Napa: www.napainvestors.com

6 Responses to “2006 International Pinot Noir Celebration”

1. 1 Rusty Gaffney Aug 14th, 2006 at 7:51 pm

Thank you for hosting me on Grape Radio. During the session on the IPNC, Jay mentioned he enjoyed a Littorai Pinot Noir (actually a 2001 Littorai Theriot Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir)particularly after it had been opened and aired awhile. In the podcast I failed to comment about this and I think it is a particularly salient point. That is, a really great wine including Pinot Noir, will grow in the glass over time taking on substance and structure and character. Some superior wines will even last over night and shine the next day. An inferior wine will often peter out in an hour.

2. 2 Peter Aug 16th, 2006 at 1:57 pm

I remember seeing you guys taping a show at World of Pinot Noir a couple of months back. Why did you never release that podcast?

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 16th, 2006 at 6:49 pm
  4. 4 Taylor Aug 21st, 2006 at 11:17 am

Hello!

Great show! I live in Oregon and also attended the IPNC. I thought Rusty did a nice job of discussing the history of the event and highlighting some of the wines he enjoyed. I was disappointed; however, that Rusty failed to mention any of the Oregon wines that were tasted. Given this was an Oregon event I found this to be an oversight on Rusty’s part (maybe he enjoyed the Oregon wines less than the French or California pinots). These are the kind of events that help promote the Oregon wine industry and since you did dedicate a whole episode, I was disappointed in this one respect. Otherwise, keep up the grape work; I look forward to every episode!

5. 5 Rusty Gaffney Aug 23rd, 2006 at 7:55 pm

Taylor: Thank you for pointing out my oversight in the session on IPNC. It was not meant to slight Oregon Pinot Noirs, but rather reflected a function of time constraints. I spent a week in Oregon over the IPNC weekend and find Oregon Pinot Noir in the top echelon of North American Pinot Noir. Please read Issue #46 of the PinotFile where I go into great detail about the history of Oregon Pinot Noir and feature in-depth reviews of four wineries I visited. My favorites during this week were: Adelsheim (2004 Elizabeth’s Reserve, Anne Amie (2003 Hawk’s View Vineyard), Belle Pente (2003 Estate Reserve), Belle Vallee (2005 Whole Cluster, 2004 Willamette Valley, REserve, and Grand Cuvee), Elk Cove (2004 Mt Richmond), Hamacher (2002), The Eyrie Vineyard (2003), Ponzi Vineyard (2004 Reserve), Prive (2003 le nord, le sud), Stoller Vineyard (2003 Estate), Van Duzer (2004 Estate and 2004 block designates) and Witness Tree 2004 Vintage Select). There are many more fine Oregon Pinot Noir producers.

6. 6 Rusty Gaffney Aug 23rd, 2006 at 7:57 pm

For those wine enthusiasts who are getting weary of Pinot Noir accolades and tiring of Pinot Noir discussions, all I can say is: Too much of a good Pinot is never enough.