The Wines of Lebanon – Chateau Musar

chmusarmain.jpg

Wine from where? is usually the first reaction to finding out there are vineyards and wineries in Lebanon.  Yet, viticulture was introduced to the Bekka Valley 6,000 years ago by the Phoenicians.

Founded in 1930 by Gaston Hochar, Chateau Musar continues the tradition.  Join us as we speak with Serge Hochar about the geography, history and philosophy of Chateau Musar — and what it means to cultivate grapes and make wine in what can quickly become a war zone.

Winery Information

- Chateau Musar : www.chateaumusar.com

- Importer: Broadbent Selections: www.broadbent.com

Sponsor: Pinpoint Technologies Inc:  www.pinpoint-tech.com

chmusar2.jpg

chmusar3.jpg

12 Responses to “The Wines of Lebanon – Chateau Musar”

1. 1 Steve Minafra Sep 14th, 2006 at 12:52 pm

I enjoyed your interview with Serge Hochar. I read somewhere that he aged his wine in concrete vats and was hoping to hear more about that. I was wondering why he preferred concrete to wood; I never heard of anyone making wine that way. I own a bottle of Chateau Musar red, 1991 vintage. I was saving it for a special occasion but I don’t want to drink it with anyone who wouldn’t appreciate it. If any of you guys come down to Los Angeles, be sure to look me up and we’ll pop the cork. I guess the ’91 vintage is relatively young given the amount of aging that Serge does before release, but I understand it was one of the better years.

2. 2 Frank Abbey Sep 18th, 2006 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for going around the world to interview Serge. It must have been tough to set up with all that’s goign on over there. I thought I heard some machine gun fire in the background.

I agree with the issue of high VA in his wines. Don’t know if I agree with his answer.

Frank

3. 3 Cindy Chandler Sep 18th, 2006 at 2:01 pm

I can’t believe all the places they make wine today. What’s next Alaska? In all seriousness I was wondering why he vineyard was at such a high altitude. Does it have something to do with the heat at lower elevations being to extreme?

CC

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 18th, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Yes, Cindy, it is the altitude that mitigates the heat issue in Lebanon, as well as other parts of the world where they grow wine – Arizona, for instance.

Eric

5. 5 Gerry Jacks Sep 19th, 2006 at 7:57 am

I love these wines, th hardest part is waiting for tem to age. You guys hit it on the head that they are very unique in their taste pofile. Thank you for the hard work–Gerry

6. 6 Steve Sep 20th, 2006 at 11:16 am

Unbelievable guest. There is hope for the world! Wine is bringing people together.

7. 7 michael Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:53 am

Dear Cindy,

When you ask “what next?” please remember that Lebanon has been producing wine for thousands of years, long before the Americans or the French for that matter.

A lebanese and a lover of Lebanese wines

8. 8 Thomas G. Feb 17th, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Chateau Musar 1975.
    Does anybody knows if this wine is still drinkable.
    Thomas G.

9. 9 Bartholomew Broadbent Feb 18th, 2007 at 3:24 pm

Yes the 1975 is fantastic. For detailed notes you can get them from my father’s book Michael Broadbent’s Vintage Wine. The wine and the book are both available from http://www.broadbent.com
    Bartholomew Broadbent

10. 10 Pierre Ibrahim Ahmarani Apr 11th, 2007 at 1:41 am

Votre vin Chateau Musar 1998 est moisi, le bouchon en liège n’est pas bon.

11. 11 Clarence Mason Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Perhaps Pierre, you stored the wine improperly. Corks are rarely bad.

1. 1 Château Musar – Unique from Vine to Glass | North East Wino pingback on Jun 9th, 2012 at 7:24 am