A Tour of Germany – Part 4

germany4main.jpg

With roots on Germany’s mid-Mosel River valley site from 1156, the S.A. Pruem Family have been commercially producing wines here for 200 years. The Winery is a founding, active member of the VDP, and since Raimund Pruem took over the management of this family-owned property in 1971, has established an international reputation for Riesling, and more recently Weissburgunder/Pinot blanc.

Join host Leigh Older as we pay a visit to this renowned Wehlen-on-the-Mosel winery, and visit with Raimund Pruem.

For More Information:

- SA Pruem: www.sapruem.com

Sponsor: The Beaches of South Walton: www.beachesofsouthwalton.com

Give Away Alert:  Post a “Riesling” tasting note on this show and be entered into a drawing for a Blind Tasting Bag Set from:  www.baggedwine.com

Contest Expires October 31, 2006.

10 Responses to “A Tour of Germany – Part 4”

1. 1 Doug Smith Oct 11th, 2006 at 9:53 am

OK, I’ll bite with the tasting note … this is for a bottle of 1985 Franz Karl Schmitt Niersteiner Orbel Riesling Beerenauslese we had several months back:

Medium gold color. Intense nose of orange peel, apricot and spice, with perhaps a background touch of honey. With time this transformed slowly into notes of dry herbs, dry leaves and light petrol. On the palate it has a nice balance of acidity and a good, long finish. Really nice stuff!

2. 2 Max Jensen Oct 11th, 2006 at 12:05 pm

Hi Guys ~ I enjoyed the show and found Raimund’s take on making the entry level style of Rieslings more appealing to the novice/entry level wine folks who aren’t that familiar with Riesling. I’ll jump in on the tasting note as well. I had the 2004 St.Michelle Eroica from Washington during a blind tasting in July, it’s the joint venture between Dr.Loosen and St.Michelle. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sugar levels were considerably less than what I had imagined they would be, much more of a white peach, melon character with medium acidity to balance it out, very refreshing and not the cloying sweetness from most other Rieslings I’ve had in the past. I’m going to go out and try the 2005 that is out now for comparison. Cheers ~ Max

3. 3 David Campbell Oct 13th, 2006 at 5:42 am

One of the most memorable wines I have ever had was a 98 Grand Vin du Chateau Phelan Segur. There was a just a touch of vanilla. I really don’t have a very good palate and word appreciate a show on how one can go about improving his, if that is possible.

4. 4 Jo Olkowski Oct 14th, 2006 at 9:13 am

A wine tasting note for a contest entry? Hey, I’ll drink to that! I may lack the verbosity that usually comes with a deep, thoughtful and often well-laced string of wine tasting buzz words, but I can recall a relished Riesling that did cause myself to sit down and say, “Wow!” And, for those of you on the drier side of the Riesling dream pool with have to endure a sweeter styled recount. :)

Wine: 2003 Mount Horrocks Cordon Cut Riesling
    Mental note: Wow.
    Pale yellow color, light scent and a fantastic lychee taste with accidity that I would expect from German Rieslings. Very enjoyable: one that I would have again in the drop of a cork.

5. 5 Blaine Morris Oct 16th, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Great couple of shows on Riesling. I’ve always been partial to the drier, Alcasian style. After listening to this show, I’m inspired to go seek out some of the drier German producers. Great work!

One more simple comment from me: I really like Leigh’s style and think that he adds a great dimension to the show. I’ve been listening for a long time, and his quiet absence was notable. I’ve gone back and listened to some of the early shows again (Pride, Loring, etc.). The show is simply better with Leigh’s participation, as his interview style is very complementary (though different) to Brian, Jay and Eric. He adds a mellow, thoughtful and intuitive thought process. Hopefully he will be able to remain involved.

Great work on the show guys!

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Oct 16th, 2006 at 8:51 pm

Leigh has moved out of state so he will be more of a visiting host than a regular one.
    I hope you can still enjoy the show enough to stay a fan.

7. 7 Jörg Tiede Oct 17th, 2006 at 11:31 am

Hello Guys,
    this is just a short message from a listener in Germany to tell you how much i enjoy your shows! I started listening to your podcasts only a few weeks ago and i think they are really worth listening to. And besides, although i am a professional in the wine business i get quite a bit of useful information. But not only that – i think your shows are really entertaining.

I especialy liked your interviews with those outstanding winemakers from the Rheingau an Mosel very much! So please go on like this and thank you again!
    Yours, sincerely,
    Joerg

8. 8 Leigh Older Oct 20th, 2006 at 8:04 pm

Blaine,
    Thanks for the kind words! I encourage you to seek out the dry rieslings from this region. The quality in general is very good, and they get snapped up quick at the wine merchants. I was amazed by the balance and clean finish of most drys on the trip. But of course, how do you have a bad wine in beautiful Germany! Keep an eye out for Wittmann (an organic grower) who really has excellent offerings as well.

Leigh

9. 9 A E J Campbell Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:40 am

The white wine category winner of my recent economic (o)eneology night (featuring wines under $12) was Noble House Riesling, purchased for $10. The wine was pale yellow and sweet balanced by acidity, like a green apple. The taste and notes were apricot with some floral hints, and the finish was crisp yet tart. I’ll be purchasing more bottles in the future.

10. 10 The German Sep 5th, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Nice! Here’s the note and hope I get the tasting bag!
    I’ve not tasted the wines but the region is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places to take a hike or a bike!
    A drive thru the area can be absolutely therapeutic too!