Manfred Krankl and Sine Qua Non – Part 1

06sqn1main.jpg
Jay with Manfred Krankl

The highly acclaimed, low production wines of Elaine and Manfred Krankl are some of the most collectible wines in the marketplace.  Sine Qua Non, or SQN, wines are distributed mostly through a mailing list, which has long since been closed.  (In fact, the waiting list is even more lengthy.)  What makes these wines so special?  Well, aside from their distinctive quality, each vintage or bottling features unique label art and  bottle packaging.  It could therefore be said that SQN never makes the same wine twice.

Join us as we sit down with Manfred Krankl to hear about the origin and inspiration of SQN.

Sponsor: North Berkeley Wine: www.northberkeleywine.com

13 Responses to “Manfred Krankl and Sine Qua Non – Part 1”

1. 1 Mark Ryan Nov 28th, 2006 at 9:37 am

Great show guys! Manfred’s take on winemaking is a breath of fresh air. I’ve never had the urge to make my own wine before but now after hearing his interview I’m inspired!

2. 2 casey Nov 30th, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Rien Ne Va Plous is the white you had. 2 friends got to taste this and said it was an epiphany wine for both of them, and one’s a winemaker! Since hearing the story, we’ve been trying to track down a bottle to share. great interview. thanks so much for sharing.

3. 3 Jorge from Tracy, CA Dec 1st, 2006 at 3:26 am

Sine qua non Rocks weeeeeeee!

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 1st, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Man this was so much fun. I have every intention of going back and doing a follow-up interview.

5. 5 Matt Dec 5th, 2006 at 6:00 am

Wow! What a great interview. I’m on the waiting list and this interview helps make it worth the wait. Keep up the good work. I look forward to the new Grape Radio Podcast every Tuesday morning. :)

6. 6 Harvey Kornicks Dec 10th, 2006 at 9:33 am

Jay: One word for people as Manfred: Integrity

Harvey Kornicks

7. 7 Soren Mikkelsen Mar 1st, 2007 at 4:13 pm

I am so happy that the wineworld is still spinning and not all about Margaux, Rotshield et.al. and I do thank producers like Manfred, the “Wild Boys Of Batonnage” (http://www.batonnage.com) and Jim Barry (http://www.jimbarry.com/) for giving me such good experiences!

8. 8 Annika Krankl Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:49 pm

great guy… but of course I think so, as he is my father.

9. 9 Steve Saporito Feb 6th, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I had some 2005 The Petition and it was absolutely the best thing that has ever crossed my lips. OUTSTANDING!!!

10. 10 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 7th, 2008 at 5:21 am

Steve, your post is wonderful. That kind of experience is pure magic.

11. 11 Philip Swartz Apr 10th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I read about Sine Qua Non years ago in Wine Spectator magazine when SQN was first getting noticed and first tried a rose at Campanile in LA. Since then I have searched out his wine near and far. Sat on the waiting list for at least 6 years reading those sad notes the Krankls send about not being able to offer me wine, until last FALL!!! Now I order everything I can. I traveled throughout Europe and found a lot of his wine in Germany and Austria and brought back about 10 bottles of his wine (a lot of sweeties and syrahs) and even drank the In Flagrante syrah on the train out of styrofoam cups that ended up stained a beautiful purple. Manfred and Elaine so wonderful things with grapes and I hope I can continue to purchase their wine. The interview just solidified my feelings even more about their art. I’ve even been inspired to produce my own wines, with 3 of my own sweeties being pretty impressive, nothing of course compared to SQN. Keep interviewing the good ones and keep drinking the good stuff.

12. 12 carolyn cestaro Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Hi:

Is there a website?

C

13. 13 GrapeRadio Bunch Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:49 pm

No but you can email them at sqn@sinequanonwines.com. Ask for Lindsay Haley.