Manfred Krankl and Sine Qua Non – Part 2

06sqn2main.jpg

Sine Qua Non was created after the 1994 harvest of Syrah from the Bien Nacido Vineyard in Santa Maria. Named “The Queen of Spades,” this Syrah began a long string of uniquely-named red and white wines. The thought-provoking name for each wine, along with its fascinating label and packaging is all designed by Manfred Krankl, and there is a story behind each one.

Join us for Part 2 of our discussion with Manfred Krankl, and his storied wines.

To sign up for the waiting list fax your request to: (805) 649-8902

Sponsor: North Berkeley Wine: www.northberkeleywine.com

(1:01:58 min 29 MB)

06sqn2a.jpg

Manfred’s Ride

22 Responses to “Manfred Krankl and Sine Qua Non – Part 2”

1. 1 Max Jensen Dec 4th, 2006 at 10:18 am

Great interiew guys. I think Manfred epresses the true nature behind winemaking perfectly, especially when he talked about the 16 hrs of standing at the sorting table and knowing that in order to make a truelly outstanding product you have to grit your teeth and push on through to complete the job(plus you owe it to your customers). As a fellow winemaker, most people don’t understand just how back breaking the process is, and it’s not a complaint, I love doing it. It’s what connects us to the earth that provides the grapes and then too each other by sharing such a wonderful product. Each wine embodies the people who make it, especially at the artisan level. Thanks for all of the great shows, I’d love to hear one with Alex Golitzen of Quilceda Creek if possible, I need to get his secret to winemaking !
    Cheers ~ Max

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:19 pm

Howdy Max. After listening again, I keep thinking how cool it would be to party with him. I would love to sit down with him, and drink him under the table with some vodka.

Great suggestion BTW. Consider it on my to do list.

3. 3 Mel Hill Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Hi guys Great pair you got there… shows that is….
    looking forward to the HdR show soon.
    why such a delay on those shows?

mel

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 4th, 2006 at 1:47 pm

Mr Hill, the poster came in today. That way way too cool of you. I going to put it in our studio. Dude, you are one hell of a photographer.

Good question about the delay. There are 2 reasons we post with such a delay. First, we did not want people to use the posting of an event as an excuse for not actually going to the event. In particular, for not signing up for the seminars. Of course, that is unlikely due to all the other benefits of attending the event. The second, and more important reason is that we wish to build excitement for the next event. HdR will start selling tickets soon, so maybe we can help in our own small way by showing people what the event was like in the previous year. Does that make any sense to you?

5. 5 Tim Meranda Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:02 am

Great interview! By the way, what type of motorcycle does Manfred have? This will reveal a lot about his karma.

6. 6 Doug Smith Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the great episodes on SQN. Manfred comes across as one of the most level-headed, articulate and wisest winemakers I have heard speak.

Now I’ve just got to get my hands on one of those bottles!

;-)

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 5th, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Tim, it’s a Storz Performance-enhanced Harley-Davidson. (See picture.)

Eric

8. 8 Clay Aldrich Dec 5th, 2006 at 3:54 pm

Jay and Eric:

Thank you so much for letting us share your time with Manfred. I felt like this was by far the most compelling winemaker interview that GR has ever published. I really enjoyed the fact that the three of you discussed the artistic side of winemaking because it really brought the human element of SQN into perspective. Don’t get me wrong – the scientific aspect of winemaking is interesting in its own right, but Manfred’s storytelling and anecdotes were priceless. For me, his philosophy about his relationships with SQN’s customers spoke volumes about how much he values his unique position in the wine community. Thank you again for “putting us on your shoulders” so that we could take part in a most compelling and memorable conversation among friends.
    Clay

9. 9 Mark Christenson Dec 5th, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Very cool interview. I’ve been waiting a while to hear this one and it did not disappoint! I particularly liked how he is committed to the customer on all levels, not just the product. Business owners of all kinds (as part owner in a small business I include myself in this) can learn about committment to customer service from M&E!

The bike is cool, too :-)

10. 10 Mel Hill Dec 5th, 2006 at 5:57 pm

glad the poster arrived!
    your HdR timing sound good.

mel

11. 11 johannes leithner Dec 8th, 2006 at 11:25 am

can someone send me the official homepage of the winery from manfred krankl.

i could not find it in the internet

tahnks a lot

johannes leithner

12. 12 Vincent Fritzsche Dec 8th, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for the great two-part interview with Manfred. I’m not a big fan of the Sine Qua Non wines, not really my style from the number I’ve tried over the years, and not in my price range even if I were on the list. But Manfred’s inspiring. And Jay and Eric, nice job with the questions, especially the final one. You guys are good and getting better all the time.

13. 13 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 8th, 2006 at 12:19 pm

Johannes, they do not have a website. You can contact them by phone (805-649-8901) / fax (805-649-8902)if you wish.

Vincent thanks for the feedback. Eric scares me he is so good. His talent makes me try even harder to keep up. :-)

14. 14 Johannes Leithner Dec 8th, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for the information and best wishes from Austria

15. 15 Tim Meranda Dec 9th, 2006 at 9:32 am

Truly a karma worthy bike. Not an everyday Harley poser, but something with massive sole and grunt. How did you ever get a ride in light of the single seat?

16. 16 TimF Dec 9th, 2006 at 2:25 pm

Did someone mention on one of the intros to this interview that Manfred may be increasing production at some point in the near future? Did I imagine that? I don’t recall it being addressed during the interview.

Can’t wait to hear a followup interview with Manfred…

17. 17 David Dec 12th, 2006 at 11:05 am

Loved the interview but made me sad that I am still on the wait list1

18. 18 paul r Dec 18th, 2006 at 8:41 am

gr,
    really a great, great interview! one of the best…..

couple of points: i started going to the la brea bakery when it first opened. for me, there was no other bread like that available in los angeles. it is easy to understand how it exploded with consumers and he was able to sell the bakery for so much. one can see his commitment to an excellent product even back then (was it a chocalate black cherry bread?! who would have thought??)

with regards to his comments on “flipping” wines, i can understand his concerns. however, weather concerns when shipping wine are on the forefront of most consumers and sellers when such a transaction takes place. i think both parties want to ensure the integrity of the product. however, his attitude about it is great and consistent. he does not want to play policemen, and his primary concern is the integrity of the product. so whether you paid $200 or $2000 for the bottle, ideally the wine tastes the way he intended it.

great show. thanks for it!

19. 19 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:06 am

Paul, one of the things that drives me crazy is finding a bakery that has a wide selection of bread is getting very hard. There is way more money in cakes and pastries so I understand the focus on those items.

20. 20 bill curtis Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:01 pm

A very enjoyable interview for both parts. Being in the middle of the ocean and somewhat new to makers of fine “cult” wine I have not even heard of Sine Qua Non or Manfred before this show. It seems he is one of the true “rockstars” of the wine world and typically when you work hard at something of high quality for a long period of time you are rewarded in some way – the key is to maintain the passion behind what you do.

It is also wonderful that with all of his success he is willing to spend time to chat with you (it appears Jay has been on the SQN list for some time now) and Jay and Brian (and others) take time out of their schedule to make Grape Radio for the rest of us.

I’m not going to bother to get on the waiting list as it seems it is very long, but I will keep an eye out for his wines. I wish Manfred continued success and through Grape Radio I have got on a few other mailing lists from other shows and I am tasting wines I never would have seen before.

One winery that I really enjoy that I think would be interesting to hear from is Palmina – if they are willing to interview with you I would really like to hear their story. They are available locally and I like Italian varietals, so I gave them a try. Brian Loring spoke highly of them on his website, so it was the first wine club I joined. I also am receiving Arcadian and Loring wines. With additional shipping costs to Hawaii there are many others I would like to try, but I am dipping my toes in slowly.

I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays and here’s everyone’s health, to new wines and to new friends in the new year.

p.s. Jay and Brian – I want to donate to the Grape Radio wireless mike fund. How many do you need and how much do they cost each?

p.p.s. Speaking of rockstars, Mick Fleetwood will be at our local Costco (please don’t tell the Wine Club guy) on Friday (2 days from now) promoting his new wines under his name. He has lived on Maui part time for many years and I have missed him at our local wine store a few times now.

21. 21 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 21st, 2006 at 10:04 am

Hi Bill,

Actually, we have talked, albeit briefly, with Steve Clifton of Palmina during the 1st segment of the Wine & Fire shows. And, I agree – what he has done for Italian varietals in the Santa Ynez Valley (if not all of California) is nothing short of amazing. Perhaps we’ll take a closer look at this interesting development in the future.

Eric

22. 22 Kyle Whitney Feb 9th, 2007 at 12:11 pm

The fax number you have posted it the header is not correct. It is answer by a poor person who does not speak english. In responce # 13, you post a differnt number for them. (exchange 640 vs. 649)