2006 Hospice du Rhone – Part 2

07hdr2main.jpg

Titled – “Here, There and Everywhere” this seminar was designed to compare and contrast the wines of Vanessa Wong, Françoise Peschon, and Christine Vernay with a tasting of wines from these uniquely different terroirs.

Join us as we hear from each winemaker about their respective vineyards, and describe their preferences in winemaking, from Old World to New.

Download Seminar Powerpoint Presentation: Click Here

- 2002 Araujo Estate Syrah
 - 2003 Peay Estate Syrah
 - 2004 Peay Estate “La Bruma” Syrah
 - 2004 Peay Estate ” Les Titans” Syrah

For More Information: Hospice du Rhone: www.hospicedurhone.org

Sponsor: Champagne, USA: www.champagne.us

11 Responses to “2006 Hospice du Rhone – Part 2”

1. 1 Jim Cramer Jan 8th, 2007 at 8:32 pm

You guys are always asking the listeners to send comments. I am developing the habit to compose in my head comments to send however I am usually listening while I am away from the computer and a result rarely send comments.

I have been forming this idea over the past 2-3 weeks. I wish I could express it through a conversation but here goes.

This site is an incredible education tool for wine. I am amazed at how much more familiar I am with wine and growing it and vinifying it. There has been a lot of conversation in the recent shows I have been listening to about balance, out of balance, the importance of acidity, flabby wines, maturing grapes, mature tannin, good tannins, bad tannins.

So here is the idea, much like your refernece to FOOD & WINE, February issue, this is an idea to take the site to the next level of teaching about wine and learning about wine. It goes something like this: take a few of the characteristics described in a show: say flabby vs too much acid vs very well balanced, find 3 wines that are representative of these characteristics, advertise this ahead of time, then have a show about it, maybe just the three of you, maybe somebody like Joe Davis who is so knowledgeable and definitive(!). I have a vague idea of flabby, believed I have had wines that were overripe w/o enough acid to balance them, but to be honest I am unsure about it. This would help solidify what we are learning in the shows — at a completely different level, going from conceptually understanding to experiencing what is being discussed. (Do you know Jancis Robinson’s book: “How To Taste”? this is what I am suggesting, even if just at a very basic level to start – tied into a specific show maybe.)

A few more comments I have been storing: I would love to hear what you think about the wines you are tasting. I think it was the Santa Rita Hills, #3 where one of the wine growers asked you to comment on the wines and frankly I think you whimped out – I would have too, just too intimidating in the company of 3 wine growers, especially as knowledgeable as they are. BUT, that is the point, you guys are more like us, the listeners. It would be really beneficial to hear your thoughts and then hear the wine grower comment.

Which is one of the best parts of the show – when Jay has the courage to say “I don’t know what that means” – usually I am thinking the same thing at that moment so it is great to ask the guest to explain. And it is really helpful when you say will you explain malolactic fermentation and maceration. Please keep asking. I have heard it 3 times and would love to hear it explained 10 more times, especially by different guests.

And the last comment: this one is to “tease” you. I believe I have listened to 3 different shows on French wine where you commented on French wine names and how difficult they are to pronounce and even intimidating. I agree completely. Once or twice it was mentioned that the labels could make the names and understanding what the wine is about easier. (I disagree). So here is the tease. I listened to the 3 part series in German wine – not once were the names mentioned. Come, the German labels and names are just as difficult — do you agree? How come no comment about it??? ;-)

The show is great, really great. Food and Wine is correct – you are an important part of learning about wine. Please keep interviewing the wine growers and keep getting them to talk and asking them to explain the terms. It is really fun to learn more and more.

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Wow, Jim, you’ve been holding back on us! We’re glad to hear you like the site and that it’s been a great educational tool for you. That’s certainly one of our primary intentions here at GrapeRadio.

Thanks for the suggestion about evaluating wines in sort of a “live” setting. We’ve considered this idea, but our main concern is our self-avowed decision not to rate or review wines. We don’t feel it’s our place, and quite frankly, there are already several other venues available to consumers for that type of information. We do realize that merely tasting and talking about a wine is not necessarily the same thing as “reviewing” a wine, so we’ll certainly talk it over some more and see if it’s a possibility.

Your comment about asking guests to explain terms such as malolactic fermentation rings true. We were having this very conversation recently, and thought that just because we’ve heard the answer once, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hear it again, because as you say, the answers may come from different perspectives.

As far as commenting on wines in front of the winegrowers, I don’t think I feel too intimidated to do so (depending upon the setting of course), I’d just want to be cautious not to speak so highly of one winegrower’s product that the other one feels like chopped liver. I’ll have to give that show another listen to hear the context of the situation.

No question there about the German label names, which are frequently just as difficult to pronounce as French wines. OTOH, I do think it pays to learn how to pronounce all of them, and would personally hate to see some sort of phonetic pronunciation guide on the back label. Thankfully, there are a couple of books out there that help in this regard.

Eric

3. 3 Jim Cramer Jan 9th, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

Would appreciate hearing about the books that can help with the pronunciation. I had found a site a while ago that had a list of French wine oriented words that you could click on and what sounded like a native French speaker would pronounce the word – very helpful. Perhaps a link on your site for French, Italian, German wines. If I come across it again, I will send it in. (Agree with you that a pronunciation guide on the back would lose the romance — we just need to learn.)

I was concerned that it would be problematic labeling someone’s wine as “flabby”. It would sure be nice to connect some real wine to what is said on the show. Would something like this work: here is a California Chardonnay that has been oaked vs a French Chardonnay with little to no oak but acid is coming through — as a concept, illustrating traits with actual wines, from a positive perspecitve. For example, my wife loves the classic California Chardonnay. All of a sudden they don’t taste good to me anymore but a Chenin Blanc from the Loire tastes really good.

Or how about the 3 of you bring in your favorite wine(s), share it amongst each other and describe why you like it, what you are tasting, etc. I think it was Heidi Barrett that mentioned she does this with a group of fellow growers and she found it very worthwhile. Maybe this is a bit “out there” but I sense that done well and infrequently, it could really work.

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 9th, 2007 at 8:44 pm

I have toyed with the idea of building an audio pronunciation guide. Since I have native French and Italian speakers that are part of GrapeRadio the idea is more appealing to me. I would also want to make sure we covered Winery names also.

Chris Thomas the publisher of of the Pocket Guide to Wine Pronounciation has developed a great resource IMHO.

As Eric mentioned, we have been trying to figure out a way to do a virtual tasting. We could pick a wine that production is so high, that everyone could go out and buy a bottle and taste the bottle while they listen to us dissect the same wine.

I could see us talking about finish, acidity, oak, etc. More from the aspect about what does acidity taste and feel like.

Lots to do and so little time.

5. 5 Mike Holland Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:41 am

Guys, thanks for the great work that you do. I have also been catching up over the last few weeks listening to many mp3 downloads as possible. There is a tremendous range of quality presentation & content in the podcast world and it does make a big difference. Keep up the good work.
    As an amateur winemaker, I hear a lot of the same passions in the people you interview. The only difference is that they do this for a living whereas we do it for the fun & creativity. But a lot of us would do it for a living if we could…
    You touched on the home hobby with the OC Competition podcast briefly and I think it could be expanded to a roundtable of OC & LA based home winemakers like the Cellarmasters.
    We have members who grow grapes in Malibu and there is a terrior unique to Malibu even without AVA designation. Many home winemakers have gone pro – Paso Robles have at least active and former Cellarmasters alone.
    I couldn’t begin to guess who would sponser a segment on this subject and a comparative tasting is impossible since this stuff IS unavailable commercially.
    But consider that Wes Hagen, who spoke at one of our meetings last year, started out as a hobbyist.
    But, in the meantime, I will continue to enjoy listening and will give feedback. The shorter format fits some subjects but the Santa Rita and Rhone events need longer pieces and thanks for providing them. Thanks for asking the ‘dumb’ questions sometimes. Thanks for admitting bias and considering some new information. Thanks, period.

Mike Holland
    President, Cellarmasters
    cellarmastersla.org

6. 6 Tim Meranda Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:22 am

Nice show and I really liked being able to download the ppt. However, it isn’t a good idea to post your ppt’s on a web site. Anyone can download them and then steal your content or use it for a whole variety of unauthorized uses. You can save your powerpoint presentations in the form of a power point show which anyone can view but cannot change or borrow the slides themselves. That way you can get your presentations out, but don’t have to worry about who or what is being done to them. An additional benifit of doing it this way is that the person who downloads it can view it even if they don’t have powerpoint on their computer.

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Tim,

You are correct. I have changd the format to .pps. Thanks for the heads up.

Brian Clark

8. 8 Tim Meranda Jan 22nd, 2007 at 2:29 pm

As a result of your show, I went online and ordered 1/2 case of the Peay. Boy does it ROCK. It is even nicer to go back and re enjoy the show while drinking the wine.

9. 9 Bill Wilson Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Great episode, as always!

Don’t be afraid of the seminars–I did one last year with my podcast, and people went bananas over it. It’s great that you’re making the slide shows available to folks as well.

Keep up the outstanding work!

10. 10 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:51 pm

For those of you that have not checked out Bill’s site http://www.winefornewbies.net get off your butts and check it out. Top notch. I am a fan, you should be also.

11. 11 Steve Kathe Feb 7th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Jay, the above link does not work. I believe it should be .com – not .net.

I’m just getting to this show, but the power point pictures look awesome.