2006 World of Pinot Noir – Seminar on Clones

07clone1main.jpg

The list of Pinot Noir clones seems almost endless – Pommard, Dijon, 667, 777, Calera, Swan, 114, 115, Mt. Eden, Pisoni, 828, 113, etc, etc. What’s the difference between a clone and a selection, and what does that have to do with the final blend of the wine? How are we supposed to make sense of it all? Well, getting answers can be relatively easy – easy that is, when you have an emertius professor from UC Davis leading the discussion panel.

Join us at a 2006 World of Pinot Noir seminar on clones, where we hear from Carole Meredith and a panel of Vanessa Wong, Greg Brewer, Tony Rynders, and Ken Bernards, as they traipse through the myriad of clones available to today’s winegrowers and winemakers.

Moderator:

07clone1a.jpg

07clone1b.jpg
(l to r) Greg Brewer, Ken Bernards, Carole Meredith, Vanessa Wong, Tony Rynders

07clone1c.jpg

07clone1d.jpg

07clone1e.jpg
Rusty Gaffney samples one of the wines

07clone1f.jpg
Brian Clark gets into the mud to get the right sound quality

8 Responses to “2006 World of Pinot Noir – Seminar on Clones”

1. 1 Clint Slagle Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:29 am

This show went a long way in my understanding of wine and vines. I have always heard a lot about “Clones” but really did not understand what he heck it meant. Thanks from doing what you do. CS

2. 2 Alan Feb 27th, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I thought this was a great snapshot of the flavor and character profiles of a few of the vast number of Pinot Noir Clones. I think it is a fantastic resource you guys are providing this info to those of us who couldn’t be there. Thank you and Thanks to Josh at the “pinotblogger.com” for the link.

Alan

3. 3 Tim Meranda Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Nice show. It greatly expanded my knowledge about just what a clone was. Is it possible to get information so I can order some of the wines tasted so I can try to taste the differences? Also thanks about the tip on the video blog.

4. 4 David Mar 10th, 2007 at 8:02 am

Great show! The discussion at the opening by Carole was great. Lots of information and all well presented by the panel. Great job guys!

5. 5 Spencer Mar 10th, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Great show. One thing that I have learned from listening to the Grape Radio podcasts is that wine makers are generally very willing to share the “secrets of their success” with others. It is very refreshing to hear so many examples of well known wine makers helping out others who may just be getting started in the business and who may eventually become competitors. In just about any other business, if someone develops a successful product, they protect it like Ft. Knox protects its gold. When was the last time Coca Cola published the formula to its drink? Yet, as soon as someone in the wine business develops a “better grape” they share it with the world.
    Which brings me to a question. Do vineyards usually charge the person to whom they are providing their clone? Does Swan get a “royalty” each time someone else plants some of their clones? Or is this all done for free? Seems to me like it would be next to impossible to control the sharing of a clone once it got out into the open market.

6. 6 Troy Hager Apr 6th, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Hi,

This was a great podcast and I have gone back to the archives and listened to many of your episodes and I am so impressed. This is truely high quality stuff. I am a home wine maker planting a small vineyard in my back yard in the Santa Cruz Mountains in Pinot and the information on your site has been a huge education for me – going right to the source of some of the premeire US pinot producers.

I truely thank you. You are doing a great service and hope you keep this up. I fully support what you are doing!

More pinot episodes!!! This is great!!!

Troy

7. 7 Pat Peacock Jul 23rd, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I’m looking for Pinot noir clones to try in the West Virginia panhandle. I’ve planted more than 60 varieties of grapes and rootstocks here. Anything that ripens when Cabernet franc clone 1 ripens works well. The lowest temperature in the last 10 years has been -4F. The topography is as good as anything found in Virginia. Peach orchards are everywhere, 2 feet of beige clay loam, and any aspect you want. If you add phosphate and lime, all the Cornell heritage varieties that I have tried consistently produce.

I tried Merlot and was totally disappointed. Nasty, shaggy clusters, and Crown Gall. After 5 years, I took it out, with a lot of cursing. Last year I ordered Pinot noir DVIT0911 and DVIT0912 from USDA Davis and top grafted it to commercially available Concord grapes (it’s a long story). There are 50+ year old Concords here that have survived -17F winters and serious attacks by Phyloxera. I suspect Concords are resistant to Phyloxera nd Grape Root Borers, which destroy vineyards more than 12 years old in Virginia. CloneDVIT0911 is susceptible to couloir; clone DVIT0912 is the strangest grape I have ever seen, and it appears to be doing well. The rachis is too small for the cluster so parts of the rachis break off. It could be the Concord rootstock, which is very vigorous. The rest of the cluster seems healthy.

From this seminar, I am looking at Pommard because of the clay soil, clone 115 because it is a workhorse, and Swann (sp?).

In the West Virginia panhandle, we have a wet spring. In La Ninia years, the summer has a drought with high humidity, and late varieties, like Black Spanish and Hubermont ripen. In any year, the grapes should be out of the fields before the hurricanes hit in mid- to late September. In years that are not La Ninia years, rainfall is consistent throughout the season, the nights are cool(around 70F), and downy mildew is a problem. From what I have seen with Black Spanish and the DVIT0911 Pinot Noir, couloir is a serious problem. Rootstocks that work well in my soil are 5BB for weak vines, and 101-14 Mgt for vigorous vines.

Your advice is appreciate.
    Thank you.

Pat Peacock

1. 1 September 29th, 2012 Tour: Amalie Robert, Bethel Heights, Witness Tree, and St. Innocent « Endless Veraison pingback on Oct 1st, 2012 at 8:08 pm