2006 Auction Napa Valley – Part 3

07anv3main.jpg

The Live Auction – Without a doubt, the live auction portion of the Auction Napa Valley is the “Main Event.” Held at the Meadowood Napa Valley Resort, the auction is a spectacle to behold.   Incredible auction lots, huge arrays of food and wine, and plenty of excitement, both during and after the auction – which is when the partying acually begins.

Join us as we speak to Warren Winiarski, Ann Colgin, mc/host Ryan Seacreast, auctioneer Ursula Hermacinski, and Joy Craft – the winning bidder of the first lot to exceed $1,000,000.

More Information:

07anv3e.jpg
What? More food?

07anv3f.jpg
What? More wine?

07anv3g.jpg

07anv3h.jpg
A glass of sparkling wine to start the festivities

07anv3i.jpg
Moments before the crowd fills the huge tent

07anv3j.jpg
After the live auction, the festivities move outside

07anv3k.jpg

8 Responses to “2006 Auction Napa Valley – Part 3”

1. 1 Andrew Hall Apr 2nd, 2007 at 10:22 am

I very enjoy your on-site programs from the Auction or Hospices du Rhone, but why is there such a long delay between the time of the event and the podcast?

Thanks,

A.

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 2nd, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Based on the amount of material we record, I see no way we could finish the post production process in less than 3 weeks after we return from an event. We felt if we could not get a show out within a week of the event, whats the rush?

Given the choice of posting 3 weeks (at very best) after the event. or or positing our coverage just prior to the following year’s event, we felt the latter was a better choice. It helps build excitement.

What do you think?

3. 3 Andrew Hall Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:29 am

Makes sense.

I did find it pretty funny when Dennis Cakebread talked about giving you guys a ‘scoop’ on who next year’s chair will be though.

The Auction doesn’t really contain anything timely, so your approach works well. I think some of the info from Hospices would have been useful even with a 3 week lag.

I might be missing it, but you should mention at the beginning and end of the piece when it was taped and the dates of the upcoming event.

I very much enjoy your work and this is just a minor complaint.

A.

4. 4 Tim Meranda Apr 3rd, 2007 at 10:20 am

I liked the way you edited this piece, with an introduction and a trailer with your commentary and ads sandwiched in between

5. 5 KMS Apr 7th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

“What if she only likes sweet Rieslings”

Last night i opened up a triple star Auslese 1990 Dr. Benedict Loosen. this 17 year old wine was a delicious and complex (and yes sweet) treat with a lingering finish to live for.

so when i heard that you guys asked if someone likes sweet rieslings as a sign of ignorance i was shocked. it is a MAJOR sign of your own ignorance. and ignorance that is highly objectionable because of it’s offensive and arrogant nature.

i am currently taking advanced courses at the International Wine Center and will keep you guys in mind as how not to act and how not to talk about wine.

i always got a sense of ignorance and arrogance from you guys. still, i was shocked that you would insult those who love wine made from one of the most noble wine grapes. riesling produces some of the worlds greatest wines and yes some of these great wines are sweet. and if you think that their being sweet makes them any less great you’ve got a lot to learn buddies. maybe there is a “for dummies” book that will help you start on learning about wine.

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 7th, 2007 at 4:42 pm

KMS,

I am sorry you felt that way. The impression you received was not our intent. When we were referring to “Sweet Riesling” we were referring to the notoriously poorly made wines from Germany such as “Blue Nun” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Nun) which gave Riesling such a bad name for a long time – It has taken the German Wine Industry a great deal of time to recover from that perception but we feel GrapeRadio has been leading the charge to change that outdated/incorrect view.

All of us at GrapeRadio feel that Riesling is one of the most dynamic/versatile of all the grape varietals in wine today. There is nothing I prize more then some of the Beerenauslese and Ausleses in my personal cellar. I only wish I could afford some of the TBA’s unfortunately those who know about great wine have driven the prices of those wines out of my reach.

You might want to check out a few of our past shows and I think your opinion of us will change:

04-25-2005 – Show 20 – The Wines of Germany
      03-13-2006 – Show 79 – A Tour of Germany – Part 1
      03-20-2006 – Show 80 – A Tour of Germany – Part 2
      10-02-2006 – Show 112 – A Tour of Germany – Part 3
      10-09-2006 – Show 113 – A Tour of Germany – Part 4
      12-11-2006 – Show 123 – The Riesling Shootout

(We still have over 8 more completed parts to the Tour of Germany to post)

I am glad you feel so strongly about Rieslings because in the past it has seemed difficult to get people excited about this noble grape.

Once again, sorry if the comment had offended you. Sometimes when you are in the heat of the moment you can’t conceive of all the many possibilities how your words might be perceived.

Comments?

Brian Clark

7. 7 KMS Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Thank you for your speedy response.

I would like to apologize if my earlier comments were particularly harsh. Riesling IS my passion. 70% of my wines are Riesling, most are Auslese, all are spectacular and very high quality. I do get defensive when I hear “riesling” or “sweet Riesling” used as a pejorative. My reaction was based on the idea that you meant all sweet Riesling and not just the insipid stuff that calls itself Riesling.

I spend many of my days at the wine shop where i work trying to inform patrons about great Rieslings and thankfully we dont even carry the quaffable stuff that is blue nun or its ilk.

Its clear that I was wrong, there is no need for me to talk about the virtues of my favorite grape. Again I apologize for the rudeness in my earlier comments. I will of course download the podcasts you pointed too. It is my goal to learn not only wine in general but to consume every peice of Riesling related info i can find.

8. 8 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:25 pm

KMS, i am also a huge fan of Riesling so your comments did shock me. I am disturbed about your other comment “i always got a sense of ignorance and arrogance from you guys”. I have never claimed to be knowledgeable about wine. However, I do know how to ask questions. i would like to think that we all could tolerate people like me that are ignorant but willing to ask questions in order to learn.

Lastly, tell me more why you always get a sense of arrogance from us. That one hurts.

jay