Marc Perrin and Chateau Beaucastel

07beaucastel1main.jpg

We were fortunate to have in our studio, Marc Perrin, who together with his brother Pierre own the famous Château de Beaucastel in the Châteauneuf-du-Pape region of France.

The terroir here is quite unique, so join us as we discuss this area carved by the Rhone River during the Miocene period, which left an alluvium soil nearly covered with rounded stones known as galets. The topography, combined with the warm dry Mistral winds of southern France creates an amazing incubator for Grenache, the primary grape of the region.

We also spend some time discussing the Tablas Creek Creek project in Paso Robles – a successful joint effort with importer Robert Haas, and we will also find out about Marc’s role with GrapeRadio Europe.

More Information:

Château de Beaucastel: www.beaucastel.com
GrapeRadio Europe: www.europe.graperadio.com

Sponsor: North Berkeley Imports: www.northberkeleyimports.com

Click Here: Tablas Creek Vineyards

10 Responses to “Marc Perrin and Chateau Beaucastel”

1. 1 Sanjay Dyller Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:11 pm

I was excited to hear this interview. I have been a long time fan of the great wines from Beaucastel. Mark Perin did a great job talking about the history and where they are going. I look foward to my next glass that much more.

2. 2 Jeff Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:08 pm

I haven’t been listening for long but this is my favorite episode yet! Keep up the good work.

3. 3 dan Apr 18th, 2007 at 4:38 am

I have always like Beaucastel ever since trying their 2000 to 2004 at tastings. Good podcast, just like a face to face with the winemaker himself. Cheers and let’s toast to somemore CDPs!

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:55 am

I have always like the way the wine changes/evolves in the glass. Sometimes that changes are really amazing. I really do like their wines so getting a chance to share a story like theirs was important to me. I am thrilled you guys like the show.

5. 5 Roland Lundall Apr 19th, 2007 at 1:16 am

Hi again to all

I have just listened to the show with Marc Perrin and it was great.It covered all topics like,food,climate,soil,
    viticulture,vinification and the differences in the wines
    from different appellations but with the same grape blends and in the same region.This is what terrior is all about,for thoses who still don’t understand or believe in it.

As you guys know at grape radio I am a sommelier from Sweden and have been listening to your show for about 18 months now and this was one of the best shows.I look forward to the shows of Pinot Noir and Gaja soon.Stay well and cool.

Roland

Sommelier

6. 6 Tim Meranda Apr 20th, 2007 at 7:12 am

Great show. More shows on CDP’s and other Rhones.

7. 7 Steve Apr 20th, 2007 at 9:28 am

Beaucastel is a flagship of Chateauneuf. I am certainly a fan of the region. With Bordeaux wineries raising their prices through the roof I have made a point of learning even more about these wines.

8. 8 Brian Crbtree Apr 23rd, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Enjoyed this show. Eric asked about whether there are 100% varietal wines in the southern Rhone. Marc Perrin alluded to some such bottlings. If I’m not mistaken, Chateau Rayas is 100% grenache.

9. 9 thomas Apr 23rd, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Best show since i listen…
    Good job and thanks.