Oregon Wine County and Stoller Vineyards

07stoller1main.jpg

Deciding to turn the family turkey farm into a vineyard and build a new state-of-the-art winery in Oregon’s wine country, some might have thought Bill and Cathy Stoller had taken leave of their senses. But, as co-founders of Chehalem with Harry Peterson-Nedry, the couple already had some experience in the matter and decided to build a hi-tech winery, using exclusively solar power. An estate vineyard was planted in the Dundee Hills of Yamhill County, and dedicated to producing top notch Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Join us as we talk with Bill Stoller about the different growing regions and AVAs of Oregon, its winegrowing history, as well as its geography and soil conditions all of which lead to making world class Pinot Noir. Bill also discusses Stoller’s interest in making their winery green, and what goes into using the latest in technology to produce fine wine.

Stoller Vineyards: www.stollervineyards.com

07stoller1l.jpg

07stoller1m.jpg

07stoller1n.jpg

07stoller1o.jpg

07stoller1p.jpg

07stoller1q.jpg

16 Responses to “Oregon Wine County and Stoller Vineyards”

1. 1 Larry Freat May 29th, 2007 at 7:59 am

I love the idea that so many wineries are going to a green outlook on things. I guess they figure that they take a lot out of nature and they better take care of it for the future. Hope the trend continues and cathes on with other industies.

2. 2 Tim Meranda May 30th, 2007 at 8:37 am

GREAT PHOTO’S. Who is the photog?

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch May 30th, 2007 at 8:55 am

Tim, Mike Haverkate is the Farm Manager at Stoller Vineyards.

Eric

4. 4 John May 30th, 2007 at 3:53 pm

I am thinking of visiting the Northwest wine country this summer but can’t decide between Washington or Oregon. I am pretty sure what Bill would say. Where can I find more information on Washington and Oregon wine country?

5. 5 Megan May 31st, 2007 at 8:12 am

WOW this photographer is amazing!!

6. 6 Nonnie Hotchkiss May 31st, 2007 at 2:35 pm

These pictures are truly works of art. A wall is just a wall; a wall with an original Haverkate photo artistry is a real happening!

7. 7 The emperor has no clothes Jun 1st, 2007 at 11:55 am

Charles Coury was the first person to plant develop and establish the Wilamette Valley …

The purchase of land by DDO was in fact what put Oregon on the map …

8. 8 DAVID Jun 4th, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I’ve visited the Willamette many times – and Stoller Vineyard. I thought the interview as a good sampler of what’s happening in the area and Stoller Vineyard in particular (which is to be expected when talking with the Owner for gosh sakes). However, what really made a difference to area was when Joseph Drouhin from France purchased and developed the property not far from Stoller, Domaine Drouhin Oregon in 1988. Bringing with them the old world ways of doing things and a hundred years of history making Burgundy is a key to a significant change in the overall approach in the area. Sure, given time, I’m certain that the existing producers in the area would have made the jump to a higher level, but DDO started the ball rolling in a new direction in a BIG way.

If given the chance, and your in the Valley, stopping at Stoller and taking their tour and tasting their wines is well worth the trip! Thanks for ANOTHER great program!

9. 9 Bill Curtis Jun 4th, 2007 at 11:57 pm

John

We took a family trip from San Francisco to Portland last summer to look at colleges for my older son (he selected UofO in Eugene).

For the trip I had this book:

It was a simple overview of Oregon Wine Country with many suggestions.

John Haegar’s “North American Pinot Noir” also highlights some Oregon Growers in more depth.

It looks like I will be visiting Oregon much more often over the next 4 years (it had been 20 years since I was there before last year”s trip.

Bill

10. 10 GEOFF CORNISH Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Rack Bill Stoller as a vinyard owner out there as a modernist and up alongside other classic GR episodes such as the innovative Gaia Gaja conversation….he;s and interesting and intelligent innovator… sometimes I find myself hoping that you won’t try to simplify interviews too much for your audience in conversations with vintners…only to find myself surprised every time at the amount of insight and detail you do get into. Podcasts are by their very nature for people who want to go a step further than simplistic radio and become more informed specialists. Gentlemen….Thankyou once again !

11. 11 Tabitha Aug 8th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

If I can’t personally visit the winery or forget a wine I’ve tasted, I do my own research on Oregon vineyards by going to a website that groups them in clusters – Northern Willamette Valley vs. Southern Willamette Valley, Umpqua Valley vs. Rogue Valley. I primary use the Wineries of Lane Country website as my restaurant wine list is almost exclusively Southern Willamette Valley wines. A site like this will give a good overview of the region and have links to members’ websites if you want to get more info. It doesn’t, of course, include everyone but it definitely comes up first with search engines.

12. 12 Michael Messner Sep 13th, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Dear Grape Radio:
    I am not sure where to put this request so here is as good as any. I am on several allocation lists as well. Obviously you want to stay on Harlan Estate, Shafer Hillside Select,And SQN. I signed up for the JamesGang wine club because of your suggestions.

I would love to see a show on two issues. 1) what allocations are worth the $6-$1400 like amuse bouche to be on?

2) I live in North San Diego County and we do not have a wine shop near us like Hi-Times or The wine club, where should we buy our wines? They are too expensive to spend $30 a pop for shipping and if you live in California like I do, all the good wines are here, so you have to pay tax, unless you order from New York or Chicago.

keep up the good work.

Michael Messner
    President/CEO
    MLM Enterprises, Inc.

13. 13 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:59 am

Hi Michael,

JamesGang?? — I honestly don’t recall GR ever making this particular suggestion.

I would also add that while there might be some arguable value to listeners in suggesting or recommending specific allocation lists, such a show could hardly be impartial.

I have only had personal experience with one wine store in SD County – San Diego Wine Company — good prices, reasonable selection. Maybe some other listeners in the SD area can offer some suggestions.

Eric

14. 14 Michael Messner Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:03 am

Dear Eric:
    It was you,Brian or Jay that said the Toban James Gang was a good value. I am sorry you are not open to suggestion, maybe I have been wrong in listening to the show.

Taking a risk is a tough, but I can look up the show if you wish. Nevertheless whoever is on the James Gang Wine club list said it, and I am glad they did, I know that one of you said in the last couple years, that you get a lot of allocation letters and they are $900 for 6 bottles, and I agree. Is is not the job of Grape Radio to educate the public about the wine industry. I am sorry if you are too afraid to talk about a controversial subject.

I will just stop listening, when I was a little younger I was a pro-athlete and forgot you guys are wine geeks.

Very Sincerely,
    MRM
    President/CEO
    MLM Enterprises, Inc.
    Carlsbad, CA 92011

15. 15 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:27 am

Michael, your take on Eric’s response was rather puzzling.

Eric never came close to suggestion we were not open to your idea. He also mentioned not remembering the JamesGang reference. We have done over 400 shows, so I assume you can cut us some slack here.

You seem angry about something but I am at a loss to understand the basis for it.

16. 16 Tom D Feb 16th, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Here’s an idea, Michael…chill out and have a glass of wine.