The Wines of Argentina

07argentina.jpg

Although Argentina is the world’s 5th largest in wine production, and 6th largest in consumption, how much do we really know about its wines and vines? With Argentine wines becoming more readily available, it really helps to have a sense of the geography of the country, what kind of wines they grow, and more importantly, what do they taste like? Join us as we visit with Susana Balbo and Pedro Marchevsky of Domino del Plata winery, to hear more about blending, high altitude growing and the accomplishments of this team, as well as this fascinating wine producing country.

Susana is a legend in the wine world, having made wines since 1981, and has been the first Argentine winemaker to be hired to consultant to make wine outside of Argintina. She has made wine in Australia, California, Chile, France, Italy, South Africa, and Spain, and she spends a month each year in a different wine region of the world studying with local winemakers and growers.

Pedro is widely acknowledged as Argentina’s most experienced technician in the field of high-quality vineyard management. An expert in viticulture and sustainable agriculture, Pedro has been involved with viticulture since 1975 and has applied a new methodology to vineyard management, something he refers to as Precision Viticulture.

For More Info on the Wines of Argentina: www.winesofargentina.org

Sponsor: Wine Blue Book: www.winebluebook.com

07argentina2a.jpg
Pedro and Susana in our studio

07argentina2b.jpg
Pedro and Susana

07argentina2c.jpg
Brian and Jay with Pedro and Susana

11 Responses to “The Wines of Argentina”

1. 1 Blake Olson Aug 6th, 2007 at 5:06 pm

What a nice coincidence to have you feature Argentine wines and I just sent a wine list today for our September tasting. I chose Argentine wines and my first one is from Susana Balbo (a Rosé) upon recommendation of the retailer.
    I belong to the San Antonio Cellar Society and we have been active for about thirty years. We have a member sponsor a tasting each month and the member chooses the theme and provides the food and the wines. The member is reimbursed for the wines and gets a stipend for the food.

2. 2 Dave Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Hey, another great show. I’m so glad you cover such a wide range of regions around the world. Satisfies my need for armchair travel. If you run out of ideas, consider an episode comparing Chilean and Argentine wines. I used to lump them together (hit L.A. and turn left), but the more I try the more I’m noticing the respective regional characters. I also appreciate that you don’t shy away from the technical details of viticulture in your shows; I’m always learning things that I can put to use. Cheers! DB

3. 3 Jim Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Any idea when this show will be put out on iTunes?
    thanks

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Aug 7th, 2007 at 7:11 pm

We had a small issues with our RSS Feed. It has been resolved and the show is now on iTunes.

GrapeRadio

5. 5 eltejano Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Man, during long stretches it sounds like someone has a headset on and is breathing a bit too hard- or they need to blow their nose whistle :)

6. 6 Blake Olson Aug 14th, 2007 at 6:16 pm

I noted earlier that we are having a tasting of Argentine wines and I though it might be interesting to list the wines and their order of presentation.

1. Crios, Susana Balbo, Rosé of Malbec, 2006 $15.99

2. Doña Paula, Malbec, 2005 $12.99

3. Lancatay, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2004 16.99

4. Andeluna, Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003 21.99

5. Amancaya, Malbec/Cabernet blend, 2005 18.99

6. Dolium, Reserve Malbec, 2003 24.99

7. Tikal, Patriota, Malbec, 2005 30.99

One of the most successful foods I have ever served with wines that like beef is a carpaccio. It’s difficult to put it out fast enough. I might try a tartare this time along with some cheeses.
    What I’m wondering is if anyone has suggestions for other foods. I haven’t even thought about vegetables/crackers/other stuff yet because I need to finish my kitchen remodelling so folks can actually get into the house and walk around.

7. 7 GEOFF CORNISH Aug 22nd, 2007 at 9:41 pm

THE TWO SHOWS ABOUT A) GAIA WINES FROM ITALY AND B) THOSE FROM ARGENTINA ARE IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, THE BEST I HAVE HEARD ON GRAPE RADIO…..REALLLY GREAT INSIGHTS INTO THE WORLD OF WINES…ESPECIALLY GAIA….WHY ARE OTHER VINTNERS NOT SO WONDERFULLY CLEAR AND AMUSING ABOUT THEIR FAMILY HISTORY INNOVATIONS AND AS ENTERTAINING….
    THANKS, I HAVE LISTENED TO BOTH SEVERAL TIMES..

8. 8 Colin Smith Sep 20th, 2007 at 8:27 am

A belated bit of praise for this podcast which I have only just listened to via Itunes.

I listened to it on the way to a trade tasting here in London arranged by Wines of Argentina. I know you had some good material to work with (I thought both the experts were on great form) but you asked some excellent questions and the stuff on terroir was right up my street as I am currently studying for my WSET Diploma.

Great work – Chile next??

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 20th, 2007 at 9:37 am

This was a fun podcast for me personally. I think these wines do not get the attention they deserve. I also feel it’s important to get this information direct from the people in the region. It really allows us to get deeper into the subject. Man, this is so much fun.

10. 10 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 20th, 2007 at 10:34 am

We havbe done a show on Chile:

Show 114 – The Wines of Chile:

11. 11 Jim Brownrigg Sep 25th, 2007 at 11:54 am

Help! I’m doing research on South African wines. Did you guys do a show on them? Anyone else have credible information on the history of winemaking in this region?