The Pioneers of Pinot Noir

07wopnlegend1main.jpg

The word Legend seems to get tossed around quite a bit. But, in this case that word seems more than apt.

Considered true legends of Pinot Noir (as well as Pied Pipers for the variety on the West Coast), these 4 gentlemen almost single-handedly started the New World Pinot Noir revolution. Join us as we listen to 4 pinot pioneers: Richard Sanford, Josh Jensen, Larry Hyde, and David Hirsch, as they discuss the early roots of their respective vineyards of Pinot Noir in California, and we hear about the trials and tribulations of this “Heartbreak Grape.” Moderated by the James Beard Award Winner – Anthony Dias Blue.

Sponsor: North Berkeley Imports: www.northberkeleywine.com

(1:26:11 min 38 MB)

Click Here: Wine Grape Varieties

7 Responses to “The Pioneers of Pinot Noir”

1. 1 Amigoni Vineyards Nov 27th, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Glad to see that Pinot Radio is again live and well.

2. 2 Tim Meranda Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Thats normally my comment, but if you check only 1 out of the last 10 shows has been about pinot (that is, if you overlook the fact that pinot is an ingredent in champagne). I think the guys have been doing a good job in mixing it up lately. Now is they woud just do something about Zinfandel. I had a bottle of ’01 Scouts Honor last night and it was the best bottle of wine I’ve had in months.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Nov 30th, 2007 at 11:14 am

I am frustrated. Look everyone, the show is free. Sure we have sponsors, but if you think that comes even close to covering our time and expenses, you ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND.
    If anyone has ideas on how I am supposed to take even more time off from work so we can do more remotes (thus other grape varieties) let me know. Before you tell me to do more telephone interviews remember there are numerous practical issues that make them difficult to produce. I am trying.

4. 4 Bill Curtis Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:35 pm

Jay – I enjoy the show no matter the content. Keep it up.

Great job and thank you for all of your efforts! They are much appreciated.

As a fellow business owner I know it can get frustrating – folks don’t understand the challenges of coming up with the weekly payroll, payroll taxes, work comp insurance, general liability insurance, employee heath insurance, paying the rent, water, electric, phone, inventory and getting all the other bills paid in a timely manner.

That’s why it gets under my skin that giving more of our money in the form of taxes and fees to the government is the solution to our problems. These are the folks, after all that have given us Social Security, the DMV and other quality service oriented organizations. I lived as an echange student in Norway during high school and recently visited Italy and the model of socialism is not a rewarding system in which to live your life under, unless you are fortunate enough to be born into wealth.

I also am sending $30,000 a year off to the University of Oregon to educate my now adult child most likely on the evils of private enterprise and how wonderful goverment can make things better, if only they have some more money, if it is anything like my class of ’69 economics Berkley professor I had when I was at college in the Bay Area in the early 1980′s.

Grape Radio and a few other podcasts take my mind off the the daily grind on my commute and make me appreciate the wide world out there and remind me that for all the troubles in the world we are very fortunate to live in the times that we do. Normal people have access to what only the very wealthy could obtain just 100 years ago. I have wine from California, Italy, France, Spain, New Zealand and South America in my house at the moment.

To your health and happiness!

Aloha, Bill

5. 5 Bill Curtis Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:40 pm

and wine from Oregon too!

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:34 am

Thanks Bill.
    I have a regular job that provides me with income and the time to get involved with GrapeRadio. I love GrapeRadio. I love that we can talk about wine in a way that has been ignored by mainstream media. I love that that we continue to be motivated by providing content that lhas value to our listeners. I love that our listeners take the time to give us feedback (both negative and positive) which indicates that they care about GrapeRadio.

My frustration lies in the perception that I am letting some listeners down. Repeated complaints on the exactly same point hurt. I ask that listeners trust we take each criticism seriously, do not beat me over the head with it.

Jay.

7. 7 Jason Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Great show. It is always a pleasure to what amounts to eavesdrop on the conversations of passionate intelligent individuals. Too much is never enough.

On another note, I came across this link http://www.pacbiztimes.com/index.cfm?go2=articles/wk_120307e
    The end of the Sanford and Benedict vineyard?