Your New Years Wine Resolution

07resolutions1main.jpg

As this year draws to a close, it is almost time to make those New Years’ Resolutions. How many of your resolutions are wine-related? Have you made made resolutions before? Were you able to keep them, or did you just give up?

The GrapeRadio bunch discuss past successes and failures to live up to Wine Resolutions, and share their own resolutions for the upcoming year.

Contest Alert: Please add your “New Years Resolution” to our comments and be entered to win one of several fun prizes!

Sponsor: North Berkeley Imports: www.northberkeleywine.com

17 Responses to “Your New Years Wine Resolution”

1. 1 Paul Dec 10th, 2007 at 9:54 am

Common Wine Geek Resolutions

I will buy less wine, and each year I buy more.
    Drop a winery allocation mailer, but end up adding more
    Reorganize wine cellar
    Learn more about various wine regions
    Update wine storage software program

Probably a few hundred more..

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Paul, IMHO, a resolution should me measurable. Less/More? Give me numbers!

3. 3 Tim Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

I will try at least one wine from a different state every month, and (California does not count)

Any recommendations?

Tim (in California)

4. 4 Joe Levine Dec 10th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Due to a variety of large, necessary expenses, my limit on price per bottle of wine has been quite low. I have resolved to increase it by about 50 percent this next year.
    Joe Levine
    PS I would suggest that Tim try some wine from Long Island, NY.

5. 5 Tony G Dec 10th, 2007 at 10:41 pm

My resolution is an obvious one that you guys should appreciate… to listen to MORE Grape Radio. I have been listening for well over a year and plan to listen to many more to come!

Seriously though, I think a good resolution for me would be to finally take a Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) class towards the WSET certification.

6. 6 Marilyn Dec 11th, 2007 at 7:12 am

Reorganize wine cellar. Reorganize wine cellar. Reorganize wine cellar

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 11th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Ok, Tony wins! :-0

Tim, I second the NY suggestion. Obviously WA, and OR should come to mind. Nice wines coming from VA. What about my home state of MICHIGAN!

8. 8 Leah Dec 12th, 2007 at 2:34 pm

While I know you’re show is sponsored by North Berkeley Wine Merchants, the kind of “reaching out” mentioned in this episode is one of the things that makes K&L Wine Merchants spectacular! You can subscribe to emails on all your favorite regions to learn when new things come in–sometimes even rare wines that never make it to the shelves.

9. 9 Eric Rayburn Dec 13th, 2007 at 6:01 am

My Resolution: Lean more about and drink more Champagne. Far too often we look on Champers as only a celebratory wine. If that’s the case we need to celebrate more! Myself included.

10. 10 Jonathan Seeds Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:31 pm

First of all, I’m a longtime lurker and listener – 2nd – you guys rock and make my new (longer) commute so much better…

for my resolutions:
    1. drink more champagne. I’m starting to get the hint that it’s way more versatile than just for new years eve…

2. Get 1-3 friends who casually enjoy wine, more passionate about wine (through GrapeRadio, tastings, or just talking about it more)

3. Dive deeper into Italian wines, especially good values.

take care in 08! keep up the great work and I’m looking forward to the xmas special!

11. 11 Douglas Dec 15th, 2007 at 10:15 am

In 2008, I resolve to take written notes on every wine I can remember drinking (OK, some of you may pick up a subtle “fudge” factor in that resolution).

Douglas

12. 12 Bill Curtis Dec 15th, 2007 at 6:40 pm

In summer 2005 went to Italy and caught the wine bug. Sent 2 cases home. At the end of the year I also started listening to Grape Radio and buying more wine at a time than we were going to drink that week.

2006 got on my first wine mailing list.

For 2007 we purchased a Vinotemp to store the collection.

Starting in 2008 I would make a goal to take one wine trip a year. Even if it is a short one. My wife and I took off for a weekend together in the Dundee Oregon area as we were checking our oldest into college at the end of last (one down, one to go) summer and we really enjoyed going to a region where we had tasted the wine, but never had explored the wineries. Also looking forward to taking more than a week off in 2008.

I also want to explore more Spanish wine this year. Most of my stuff is either from Italy, California and Oregon. Will slowly build up to more of France.

Looking ahead to 2009 might need to convert a corner of the workshop out back to a cellar – the Vinotemp is busting at the seams already.

13. 13 Kris Dec 16th, 2007 at 1:11 pm

You guys talk a lot about Cork versus Screwcap, but what about synthetic cork?

Do you guys prefer real cork over synthetic?

14. 14 Theresa Dec 21st, 2007 at 12:28 pm

I’m a wine newbie, so in the coming year I want to get better at discerning and describing flavors. It’s so much fun to have that aha! moment. “That’s exactly what that smell/flavor is!” I want to hold a wine tasting for my friends, and visit our other two local wineries that I haven’t been to yet.

15. 15 Paul Dec 22nd, 2007 at 10:06 am

“Paul, IMHO, a resolution should me measurable. Less/More? Give me numbers!”

Jay I agree. So one of my resolutions was to buy less wine. I already broke that resolution, by getting on another mailer. Currently on 17 of them I planned on 15 or less.

I set a date to reorganize the cellar and update tracking software before April, when the next flurry of wine shipments arrive.

Still working on one of my resolutions to learn more about wine. Thanks to Grape Radio you help each time I listen to a podcast or video replay.

1. 1 Wine Sediments - » My New Year’s Resolutions pingback on Dec 24th, 2007 at 8:28 am
  2. 2 The Spirit World - » My New Year’s Resolutions pingback on Mar 4th, 2008 at 4:27 am