Chateau Mouton Rothschild

08mouton.jpg

When Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild, a member of the English branch of the Rothschild family, purchased Pauillac’s Château Brane-Mouton in 1853, he founded what would become a Bordeaux powerhouse. Classified in 1855 as a second growth (“a first among seconds”), it would take almost 120 years to gain back what arguably should have been Mouton’s in the first place – classification as a first growth. Through most of the 20th Century, Baron Philippe de Rothschild was the guiding force of Mouton. From his decision to bottle the wines at the Château (1924), to his inventive use of artists and sculptors to design new wine labels for each vintage (1945), and from his successful campaign to obtain first-growth status, to his daring partnership with Robert Mondavi to begin Opus One in 1979, Baron Philippe worked tirelessly for Mouton.

Join us as we talk with Mouton’s Managing Director, Hervé Berland, about Mouton’s past, present, and future. His 30 years with Mouton speaks volumes about the loyalty and commitment of its staff.

For More Information on Ch. Mouton Rothschild: www.bpdr.com

Sponsor: Millesima, Your Fine Wine Source: www.millesima-usa.com

If you like this show check out:

Audio #93: Mondavi – 40 Years in Napa
Audio #211: Opus One

9 Responses to “Chateau Mouton Rothschild”

1. 1 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 21st, 2008 at 10:39 am

I know many of you will be angry that we did not post another show about Pinot Noir, but we will make up for it soon. :-)

BTW, Herve was just liked he seemed, a regular guy. I could see him downing a few beers at a superbowl party.

2. 2 Tim Meranda Jan 25th, 2008 at 8:05 am

Surprised he didn’t mention the Picasso label of ’73. However I still think the 2000 is the prettest bottle of wine ever corked.

3. 3 Mats Lindelöw Jan 25th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Hi,

You have a great show and I listen to all of them on my iPod back in my native Sweden, either in the car or in the subway. It’s really interesting to hear what’s going on on the US west coast, and I look forward to each issue. It is blissfully free from detailed accounts of individual wines and points, which makes good purchase guidance but boring radio. I mainly buy my wines locally here in Sweden, which has a rather good selection even with a state retail monopoly, or when traveling in Europe and Latin America. Most of what I drink is Spanish, Portuguese, French and Australian. Some Italian, Argentinean and Chilean is served too at home. The restaurant scene is rather difficult here, with mark-ups of 250 per cent and no ‘Bring your own’ possibilities.

I would really like to have a broader view on things and enjoy when you bring in people like Jancis Robinson and Frederick Panitiotis to balance the US west coast local content. Lately you have had more of that, which I have enjoyed. The film released before Christmas was really good!

The Europe version in French is to me not interesting, partly because of my weak French, but also because the presentation is more geared to experimental film than informative wine news and discussion.

Looking forward to a continued good show, many thanks for your hard, but no doubt pleasant, work.

Regards,
    Mats Lindelöw

4. 4 Tony G. Jan 30th, 2008 at 10:27 am

Another great show… but the only problem was that I’ve never had the chance to actually drink any Mouton Rothschild wine. It sure made me interested to go out and try some, if I’m lucky…

5. 5 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:40 am

Tony, you could start with some of the lower priced offerings. Some are yummy.

6. 6 Tony G. Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:31 am

Jay,

Any recommendations for the lower end Mouton Rothschild’s?!?! Thanks!

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:57 am

Have you tried the Le Petit Mouton de Mouton Rothschild (Pauillac )? Not crazy expensive ($75?).

8. 8 Mike b. Feb 24th, 2008 at 11:33 pm

I would love a poster print of the Carlu ’24 label. Have searched outlets and there are only his WW ll prints available. How can I obtain one. Mike B.

1. 1 Mondavi - 40 Years in Napa at Grape Radio pingback on Sep 12th, 2008 at 5:48 pm