The Wines of Michel Chapoutier

08chapoutier.jpg

Michel Chapoutier is one of the most highly respected winemakers in all of France. Since taking over his family firm in 1990 at age 26, he has transformed M. Chapoutier winery into its eminent role in the Rhône Valley.

Michel embodies both the modern and the traditional, working at expanding operations and experimenting with cutting edge winemaking techniques, while crusading for biodynamic winegrowing. He pruned vineyards and reduced yields from 35 or more hectoliters per hectare to 25 hectoliters per hectare, and embraced biodynamic techniques in his estate vineyards, harvesting grapes by hand and using only natural yeasts to produce unfiltered wines to ensure that soils are alive and a true expression of the terroir.

Since 1996, Braille has been present on all M. Chapoutier labels as an homage to Maurice Monier de La Sizeranne, owner of the plot of the Hermitage, la Sizeranne, and also the inventor of the first version of abbreviated Braille.

Join us as we talk with this charismatic and fascinating winemaker about M.Chapoutier, biodynmanics, and his obvious joie de vivre. You might even hear the twinkle in his eye.

For More Information on M Chapoutier: www.chapoutier.com

Sponsor: Millesima, Fine Wine Merchants: www.millesima-usa.com

(1:48:14 min 78 MB)

7 Responses to “The Wines of Michel Chapoutier”

1. 1 John Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:29 am

Hard to get much out of Michel, eh? A very nice guy who makes excellent wines and is excited about it as well as his successful philosophy. Thanks for bringing us this interview. I’d like to hear more (and even lengthier) shows on the Northern & Southern Rhone, it’s wines, it’s history, and it’s vignerons.

Once again, great show.
    John-Ohio

2. 2 Mike K Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:33 am

Great interview — such a fascinating guy, who’s had a huge impact on winemaking around the world. Thanks so much!

3. 3 Eric BESSON Feb 20th, 2008 at 10:50 am

I’m very happy to hear This winemaker on your website.
    In 1997, I hear him in his cellar in Tain l’hermitage.He spoke about biodynamie.I discovered all that.
    It’s a great man.
    With Guigal,this winemaker is the best ambassador of our area.
    I live in Condrieu. I see terraced vineyards every days.
    It’s fabulous !

Sorry for my english. I ‘m learning your language.

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:43 am

I must confess that I found it rather easy to be spellbound by Michel. He is so intense. As John mentioned, he has no problem speaking his mind.

Eric, you love in Condrieu? Oh my,when do get get an invite to visit?

5. 5 Jon Martinez Feb 23rd, 2008 at 9:11 am

Great show. I am a big fan of his wines. I was wondering if you could have Mr. Chapoutier explain in a little more detail about “dry extract.” This is a term he repeated a few times. I have an ideas of what he means, but if you could ask, I would appreciate it. Once again thanks for the great shows.

Jon

6. 6 mel Mar 11th, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Jay Can I assume that your comment
    “Eric, you love in Condrieu? Oh my,when do get get an invite to visit?”
    Includes a typo? :D

you must have wanted to say
    Eric, you live in Condrieu? Oh my,when do get get an invite to visit?

anyway…
    nice interview with MC he’s quite the talker! did you run out of HD space?
    I’d like to hear more about the greenhouse gasses making for higher ETOH wines

mel

1. 1 Featured Wine: 2006 Flowers Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir « Jayne’s Gastropub pingback on Jun 6th, 2008 at 4:44 pm