The Wines of Dunn Vineyards

08dunn1main.jpg

Beginning in 1979, Randy Dunn (then winemaker at Caymus) produced his first vintage of Cabernet from Howell Mountain fruit, arguably putting Howell Mtn on the map, and creating a demand from then on for “mountain-grown”
fruit from Napa Valley.

Join us as we talk with Kristina Dunn about her role as marketing director of the family business, the legendary long-lived Cabs made by her father, and what it was like growing up on Howell Mtn.

For more information on Dunn Vineyards: www.dunnvineyards.com

Sponsor: The Beaches of South Walton: www.beachesofsouthwalton.com

If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:

Audio #15: Shafer Vineyards with Doug Shafer
Audio #16: The Wines of Bob Foley
Audio #93: Mondavi – 40 Years In Napa
Audio #103: Bo Barrett and Ch. Montelena
Audio #108: Winery Profile: Trefethen Vineyards
Audio #125: Winery Profile: Staglin Family
Video #1: The Staglin Family
Audio #148: Wine Maker Profile: Mike Trujillo

8 Responses to “The Wines of Dunn Vineyards”

1. 1 Kristina Dunn Apr 22nd, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Thank you Graperadio! I had fun. It is a little strange to hear my voice, but all in all I had a great time. Listening to the interview- I’d say not to bad for my first time. I’ve come up with some better stories, maybe round 2 will have to involve my Brother and Dad.
    Thanks again,
    Kristina

2. 2 Cesar Mendoza Apr 23rd, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Thanks to you Kristina, I really enjoyed the interview. I have a question. In the interview you mentioned that your brother has his own label. What is the name of his label it is?

Thanks,
    Cesar

3. 3 Paul Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:20 am

I enjoyed this interview as well. It’s nice to hear how much Kristina respects her Dad and what he has accomplished.

Nice job Kristina.

-paul.

4. 4 AJ Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:20 am

Thanks Grape Radio and Kristina Dunn for the interview. Kristina, Please come back with a few more stories about your dad. Your reverence for your father clearly shows through when you speak of him. Randy, whom I consider one of the original California garagiste is truly a throw back. Your families wines are complex , massively concentrated and wonderfully consistent. I enjoyed the numerous topics you covered; mountain fruit vs valley fruit, high alcohol wines and the ridiculously resonable prices of your current release and library wines.
    Kristina, any scheduled Dunn sitings in the near future for Northern Ca? If not I guess I’ll have to ramble on up to Angwin.

Thanks Grape Radio

AJ

5. 5 David Povlak Apr 29th, 2008 at 10:50 am

Kristina,

That was an awesome interview. I am really glad that people are respecting the old way’s and agree that a high alcohol content is not always a good thing for tasting and safety in the valley. As a person who spends a lot of time in the valley it is a constant concern.

David

6. 6 Eldon Gath May 14th, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I agree with everyone. Great episode!! Kristina really made it fun. Sign her up as a roving reporter.
    Oh, I really loved my solitary Dunn HM opportunity; an ’87 I had bought almost 10 years ago for some special occasion, and popped it when my friend from South Africa was here to visit last year. Sadly, I should have opened it after everyone else had left, ’cause we only got a couple ounces apiece. Wonderful stuff though. I do get it.

7. 7 Robert Davis May 28th, 2008 at 6:39 am

Just finished listening to this one and really liked it. The stories were great. Unfortunately Randy did not attend the MacArthurs barrel tasting in DC this year.
    Bob

1. 1 Wine Maker Profile: Mike Trujillo at Grape Radio pingback on May 19th, 2008 at 7:20 am