Although the Philipponnat family history in the Champagne region dates back to 1522, the recent history began when Auguste and Pierre Philipponnat settled in the Mareuil-sur-Aÿ region of Champagne in 1910. When Pierre acquired the steep Clos des Goisses vineyard on the southern flank of the Gruguet hill in 1935, he broke with the tradition of blending Champagne vineyards, creating a single-vineyard wine from a rather remarkable site that overlooks the Marne River. Charles Philipponnat, grandson of Auguste, is now President of the Maison and has overseen the creation of new wine making facilities and barrel storage.
Join us as Charles takes us on a walk (make that climb) of the five and a half hectare Clos des Goisses – which stood witness to the WWI battles of nearly 100 years ago. We also visit the cellars and barrel room, and disgorge some Champagne.
For more information on the Champagne of Philipponnat: www.philipponnat.com
If you enjoyed this episode check out these other related shows:
Audio #13: Let’s Celebrate Champagne
Audio #45: The Business of Champagne
Audio #170: The Wines of Dom Perignon
Audio #175: Champagne with Veuve Clicquot
Video #31: Champagne Taittinger: A Walk Through the Cellars
Audio #200: The Champagne of Krug