Talking Wine with Russell Bevan

08bevan.jpg

Does the name Russell Bevan ring a bell? Well, it probably does to most wine-geek denizens of the internet. Russell (and alter ego Bacchus) was there at the start, when wine-based bulletin boards and discussion groups emerged from their cocoons.

A rabid wine fan from the time he could buy wine (actually, even before), Russell wanted to learn everything he could about the subject. Eventually, he found many others across the country like himself who were thoroughly into wine. Before long, Russell found himself leading groups of thirsty geeks on extended wine tours of his favorite region, California. These tours became the things of legend, and soon other geeks were doing likewise, exploring and indulging their passion in the California grape scene.

So, where did all this crazy passion for wine lead Russell? Right into winemaking. When he was offered a ton of high-quality Cabernet fruit from a very respected source in Napa Valley, Russell jumped at the chance and made his first Bevan Cellars Cabernet. And where did that lead him? The winemaking job at this same source – Showkett Vineyards. Fast forward to today, Russell leads some of the same friends on a new adventure, hand-sorting through grapes in an all-out effort to make a “yummy” wine.

Join us as we talk with Russell about the early days, the present challenges, and how he and his inspiration Victoria realize a dream of what must seem like the perfect life.

For more info on:

Bevan Cellars: www.bevancellars.com
Drystack Cellars: www.drystackwinery.com
Showket Vineyards: www.showketvineyards.com

Sponsor: Pinpoint Technologies, Mailing List: www.pinpoint-tech.com

(1:16:34min 55MB)

12 Responses to “Talking Wine with Russell Bevan”

1. 1 Ki Punwar Jul 14th, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Nice program with Russell guys-he is a great guy and full of information.

See you soon,

ki

2. 2 Jim Cowan Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:07 am

Just so we’re all perfectly clear here, I do not like “thin, weak, insipid wines” but rather a large variety of wines that have great character and show a sense of place.
    Although, “yummy” isn’t bad either.

‘Nice job guys; you had your work cut out for you with Russell and you handled it well. BTW, just how many bottles did you guys open?
    Best, Florida Jim

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Do I have to answer about the number of bottles?

KI, I have heard he is full of other things….. :-)

4. 4 Jim Cowan Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:26 am

“Jim, FWIW, I have bought many wines you have tasted and liked. So far, you have never failed me.”

That’s because you like weak, thin, insipid wines, too.
    Its a movement . . .
    Best, Jim

5. 5 John Tomasso Jul 22nd, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I enjoyed the program. It sounded more like I was listening in on a party.
    You were having way too much fun.

6. 6 Charlie Brown Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:36 am

I really enjoyed this particular show. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I listened to it twice, the second time with a nice bottle of wine!

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

John, you are always welcome to jon us.

8. 8 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:55 am

John, as you can see from the picture above, we take these interviews quite seriously.

– Eric

9. 9 Bob Davis Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:33 am

Although I haven’t finished listening to it yet, I’ve really enjoyed it. It makes dull and monotonous workouts tolerable.
    Bob

10. 10 Dave Bender Aug 3rd, 2008 at 2:20 pm

” Debotchery was a big part of my intruduction to the wine world and i’ve never left” awesome! 35 minutes in and i’m still awake…it’s as though i’m hearing a coversation at the next table over, one i’d love to be apart of. jealous, envious and motivated in Spokane.

11. 11 Fruit Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Russell’s a great guy but I still love Gary Vaynerchuk and his hard hitting style for wine reviews. I know the world of wine is better off by having both of these guys representing it!! Thanks for posting this interview!!

James
    Fruit Scientist

12. 12 GrapeRadio Bunch Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:41 am

James, Russell is not a reviewer, so i really do not see the comparison. I agree about “the world of wine is better off by having both of these guys representing it!”