Opus One

08opus1main.jpg

Opus One, certainly one of the most iconic wineries in Napa Valley, was the fruition of a 10-year collaboration between Robert Mondavi and Philippe de Rothschild of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild in Bordeaux. Celebrated as the first joint venture between California and France, the winery produced its first vintage in 1979, having been made, aged and bottled at the Robert Mondavi Winery in Oakville. Some 10 years later, construction began on Opus One’s own winery – right across the highway from the Mondavi winery. As with the concept of Opus, the design of the new winery was groundbreaking, combining Greek and Roman motifs with those of early California.

Join us as we talk with Roger Asleson and Michael Silacci about Opus One and its history, as well as its place in today’s Napa Valley.

For more info on Opus One Winery: www.opusonewinery.com

Sponsor: Bagged Wine: www.baggedwine.com

(45:08min 31MB)

If you like this show check out:

Audio #93: Mondavi – 40 Years in Napa
Audio #186: Chateau Mouton Rothschild

08opus2a.jpg

08opus2b.jpg

08opus2c.jpg

8 Responses to “Opus One”

1. 1 Matt Wessler Sep 15th, 2008 at 6:20 am

I downloaded the podcast entitled Opus One, but it appears to be the Groth episode. Anyone else have this issue?

2. 2 Tony Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:15 am

I have the same problem with this one. I was bummed…

3. 3 Matt Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:02 am

When I download it from iTunes I got the Groth interview. When I download it from this site, I get the Opus One podcast, but I only get 1 minute and 10 seconds worth.

4. 4 Neal Clark Sep 15th, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Same Here. Just sync’d up at 10:00 central time.

5. 5 Matt Sep 15th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

OK. I just downloaded it from this site and it seems to be complete and correct. I look forward to listening to it tomorrow.

6. 6 Tanya Shekhovtsova Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

I find it the most amazing, most iconic wineries in Napa Valley nowadays, which tends to show its most perfect wines and share experience of winemaking with lovers of wine.

7. 7 Bobby Wino Sep 28th, 2008 at 11:19 pm

what a delightful exploration of an ultra-successful marketing machine

8. 8 JJay Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I have got to say, they are all about class and quality. While some people may turn their nose at Opus One, I feel they have really carved a true niche market in the Wine industry. We had a bottle of the 2004 recently and it was delicious. Staff is very approachable and the facility is truly beautiful.