Château Palmer derives its name from Charles Palmer, an Englishman who owned the property from 1816-1853. An aide-de-camp of the Prince of Wales, Charles Palmer was convinced he should buy the estate of Marie de Gascq, and bought additional land and buildings in the communes of Cantenac, Issan, and Margaux. By 1830 the property covered 163 hectares, including 82 hectares of vines. In 1853, it was purchased by brothers Isaac and Emile Péreire and it continued on, surviving most of the vinous maladies and economic crises of the times until the 1930s, when they sold the estate to several families of various Bordeaux, English, and Dutch descent in 1938.
This Médoc estate is located near the Gironde estuary, and the soils in this area are quite gravely. Among their 52 hectares of vines, Ch. Palmer has a large percentage of Merlot, almost the same amount of Cabernet Sauvignon, and a small percentage of Petit Verdot. Here in Margaux, the vines are planted on rises several meters thick, consisting of brittle black lydite, white and yellow quartz, quartzite mottled with black, green or blue, and white chalcedony. In an effort to help the vine roots sink deep into the gravelly soil, they till the soil regularly. They also maintain a very high vine density – 10,000 vines per hectare – in order to increase competition between the vines and encourage this deep rooting.
Join us for Part 2, as Thomas Duroux, CEO of Château Palmer, continues with the vineyard tour, followed by a visit to the wine library and finally lunch.
For More Info on Château Palmer: www.chateau-palmer.com
The sponsor of this video is Millesima, Fine Wine Merchants: www.millesima-usa.com