The Wines of Cape Mentelle, Margaret River

09cape1main.jpg

Born and raised in Western Australia, Rob Mann followed in the family tradition – oenology. After receiving his degree from University of Adelaide, Rob worked for Hardy’s in McLaren Vale, before returning home to pickup the reins at Cape Mentelle Vineyards in 2005 in Australia’s Margaret River region. Cape Mentelle was one of the first vineyards established in the area. First planted in 1970, there are now over 180 hectares under vine. Founded by West Australian wine industry pioneer David Hohnen, Cape Mentelle is credited with pioneering many varietals and blends in the region, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc Semillon.

The Margaret River region is located in the Southwest corner of the “land down under,” stretching about 100 km from north to south, and about 27 km in width. The climate here is Mediterranean, with mild wet winters and warm dry summers – approximating something like Bordeaux in a dry season. Although it contributes only 3% of the country’s total grape output, it commands over 20% of its wine market. With over 5,500 hectares under vine, there are over 120 producers in the region. Grape varieties grown include: Cabernet, Shiraz, Merlot, Chardonnay, Semilion and Sauvignon Blanc.

Join us as we talk with Rob Mann about Australia, the Margaret River region, to see if it really is different “down under.”

Sponsor- Pinpoint Technologies, Mailing List Source: www.pinpoint-tech.com

(1:04:31 min 46MB)

6 Responses to “The Wines of Cape Mentelle, Margaret River”

1. 1 Aaron MacNeil Feb 16th, 2009 at 3:36 am

Great show from Cape Mentelle,
    As a temporary resident of Australia and a recent visitor to Cape Mentelle it was awesome to hear more about the winery. I found the wines of Cape Mentelle to be an exceptional representation of Margaret River, with their Cab and Sav Blancs being among the best of the region. I can tell you from experience that the Zinfandel they produce is utterly unlike anything I have ever tasted – so rich it is almost smoky in spice and texture. I have a bottle in my fridge waiting for a “Federal” dinner (Emu and Kangaroo served together, as in the Australian coat of arms). Margaret River is a unique experience worth traveling for.
    Cheers,
    M.A. MacNeil

2. 2 Jim Bryant Feb 17th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

The interview with Maggie Harrison was outstanding. I was lucky enough to get her Lillian from the beginning.

3. 3 Cesar Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:59 am

Thanks for another good show. I’m always surprised at my reaction to the issue of cork vs twist-off. Most small issues I couldn’t care about. Paper or plastic?, surprise me, chocolate or vanilla? whatever, wines from Chile, Portugal, Austria, I’ll try them all. But twist-off whoa. I can’t see myself twisting one off on a date, at a family function, biz dinner, or eating a cheeseburger. I’m sure they are making good wines with a twist-off, as I’m sure they make good wine and put it in a box, but no thanks. And the numbers and reasons the twist off guys throw around are ridiculous, 10% corked wines come on, and producers throwing 60 or 70 percent of their wine out due to cork, I don’t think so. It’s about wineries saving money. You produce 5000 cases you save thousands going twist-off, you produce 100,000 cases you could save $250,000 or more at a difference of .20¢ a closure. Thanks for letting me rant.

Cesar

4. 4 Julie Lindsey Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:46 am

Excellent show – I learned quite a few things I didn’t know about Australian wine – and Rob was a very engaging character. Thanks for bringing us some insight from down under!

5. 5 Eric Porres May 14th, 2009 at 9:04 am

Great interview, having visited the Margaret River region twice (2001, 2004), it’s one of my most favorite places on the planet.

6. 6 Micahel Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:11 pm

To Cesar, the stelvin enclosures (“twist-tops”) are not done to save money. When they were first introduced, most wineries were reluctant to use them, as they were perceived as being ‘cheaper’. At the time, many wineries were using synthetic corks to avoid the wine becoming corked. About 5% of corks contain TCA which is responsible for cork taint. Improper storage of corked wines will further lead to corked wines. Oxygen can still be introduced at a very slow rate, which ages the wine prematurely, which is particularly bad for white wines. The beauty of stelvin enclosures is no cork taint, no oxygen can penetrate the wine, in general, the wines age longer and better. It is no coincidence that more and more wineries use stelvin enclosures. Even Penfolds Grange is conducting trials under stelvin with great success. The trial is being conducted over a 10 year period and I think was started about 3 or 4 years ago, so we’ll probably see the 2016/2017 vintage released under stelvin caps. Stelvin enclosures = better wines!