Château Cheval Blanc

Welcome to our video podcast Château Cheval Blanc – Video Show #57.

Right Click Here to Download File

Certainly one of the most revered Châteaux in all of Bordeaux, Cheval Blanc holds an almost mystical power over admirers of the famed region. Located in Saint Emilion, the property of this premier Grand cru classé has its origins in 1832, with property acquired from the Figeac Estate by the Ducasse family. The property was enlarged again in 1838, and the Ducasse and ultimately the Laussac-Fourcaud family continued to preside over the estate through the 20th Century.

Bordering the Pomerol appellation (across the road from Château L’Evangile), the vines here are 57% Cabernet Franc; the balance is mostly Merlot, plus a small percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. What sets Cheval-Blanc apart from its illustrious neighbors is the unique terroir that lie at a crossroads for three distinct types of soil: gravel and sand, clay and sand, and a smaller section of sandy-clay with iron deposits. On average, the vines are over 30 years, and are immaculate and sustainably farmed.

Currently owned by LVMH, the estate is managed by Pierre Lurton, who divides his time between Cheval Blanc and another renowned property, Château d’Yquem in Sauternes.

Join us as we visit with Pierre Lurton, and get a sense of the topography of this famous Right Bank Bordeaux property. We also visit the cellar to barrel taste the exquisite 2007 Cheval Blanc.

For More Info on Château Cheval Blanc: www.chateau-cheval-blanc.com

The sponsor of this video is Millesima, Fine Wine Merchants: www.millesima-usa.com

8 Responses to “Château Cheval Blanc”

1. 1 Tim Meranda Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:09 am

Not one plastic cup in the whole place!

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:22 am

I know I had no intention of spitting. Whatever I could spit would pay my mortgage.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:29 am

What Jay said! Actually, IIRC, Lurton did spit some out. But, we don’t roll that way.

Eric

4. 4 Tim Meranda Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:30 am

You guys look like you were in a trance.

5. 5 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:34 am

LOL! To snatch a phrase from the BBC production ‘House of Cards,’ “You may very well think that; I couldn’t possibly comment”.

Eric

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:38 am

I have no problem saying I was in a trance. Lurton, did spit. My only regret is that I did not offer to allow him to spit into my glass. :-)

7. 7 Chateau Cheval Blanc Aug 20th, 2010 at 1:13 am

Chateau Cheval Blanc 1981 was my best experience !
    Extraordinaire !
    Mathieu From France

8. 8 Recette cuisine Aug 20th, 2010 at 1:20 am

I’ve tasted the 2001 + the second wine “le petit cheval 1998″, i was totally amazed by the density of this wine… I am from Bordeaux and I can definitelly say that this wine is one of the top bordeaux wine (probably with Chateau Giscours and Chateau Auzone).

Cheers.