BBQ and Wine

09barbecue1main.jpg

When people think of BBQ, or smoked meats, or even backyard grilling, the thought of pairing the food with wine is understandably not the first thing to cross their minds. Given the various kinds of wood available to cook or smoke the food, as well as many types of sauces and rubs used to prepare the food, it would seem to be a daunting task to find a wine that would pair well with the final dishes. A few obvious wines probably come to mind: Zinfandel, Syrah, Grenache or Mourvedre.
But, likely as not, many people will not even try to find a match, preferring to roll out the beer instead. Well, it really doesn’t have to be that way. You just might be able to have your “Que,” and your wine too!

Join us as we talk with Craig Adcock, of Overland Park, Kansas’ Bellyup Bar-B-Que, about all that flavorful food, and the wines that will indeed match up to the task.

To find out more information:

Bellyup Bar-B-Que: www.bellyupbbq.com

Sponsor- Pinpoint Tech, Mailing Lists www.pinpoint-tech.com

(50:28 min 36MB)

19 Responses to “BBQ and Wine”

1. 1 Tim Meranda Jul 21st, 2009 at 6:58 am

BBQ and wine!!! Two of my favorite things in the whole world. You should have a warning on this show saying. “do not listen on an empty stomach” And when Jay gets rolling on his pulled pork its like music to my ears.

2. 2 Blake Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:31 am

Hi Guys, I’m a regular listener to GrapeRadio and the owner / winemaker for a small winery in Colorado (Settembre Cellars). I thought I would share a vegetarian option for the grill (which we pair with our Riesling): Grilled Polenta with Pears and Gorgonzola (http://rickbakas.com/?p=741). Keep up the great podcast! Cheers, -Blake.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:40 am

Tim, check this out: http://picasaweb.google.com/jay.graperadio/BBQ#

Blake, that sounds great. I have been doing more with grilled fruit lately. Try grilled apricots with chocolate. Oh My!

4. 4 Eric Jul 23rd, 2009 at 8:49 am

I was pretty disappointed by this show. The guest was a pompous name-dropper who merely asserted opinions rather than offering any useful information. It was pretty hard to listen to.
    I did, however, enjoy listening to Jay’s excitement about bbq and smoking in particular. His enthusiasm makes me want to get a smoker and give it a try.

5. 5 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:57 am

Eric, I did not get the impression that Craig was trying to impress with name dropping, however, I could see how you might get that impression.

I have lots of opinions on BBQ, not sure how much would be opinions Vs useful information. I do know that the subject of BBQ methods can really get people worked up! :-)

Eric, what in the world are you waiting for? Get your butt in gear and get a smoker/grill. Warning, IT IS ADDICTIVE!

6. 6 Robby Jul 23rd, 2009 at 11:20 am
  7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 23rd, 2009 at 11:33 am

Just making sure you were paying attention! Thanks! It’s been corrected.

8. 8 mparnell Jul 23rd, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Another great show guys, and one which now has put me in the mood to throw something on the grill for supper tonight. which if anyone is interested in a good match try making a pepper seasoned steak with some grilled rosemary potatoes with a nice Pinot Noir and that my friends is a fine meal. Though I have also never gone wrong with just a good ol burger with a decent merlot. Hope this has gotten you as hungry as me now.

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Jul 23rd, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Please tell me bone-in ribeye.

10. 10 Tony Jul 24th, 2009 at 9:26 am

I have had BellyUp’s ribs, salmon, brisket, etc. , and it all has been superb. I have had friends from places as far away as Argentina, Brazil and Switzerland ask me to bring them Craig’s rubs. While I enjoy virtually all of the Grape Radio programs, I particularly enjoyed this one and think more shows with a dual wine/food focus would be interesting and fun. As for ” name dropping “, I was impressed that so many superb wine makers, who obviously enjoy great food and wine, would think so highly of Craig’s barbecue that they would invite him to cook for their families and friends.

11. 11 Mark Jul 24th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

BBQ and a petite syrah also can work,but a medium bodied Syrah like something that they grow up in Washington state can work wonders for a lot of people! Thanks for the post I enjoyed it a ton.

12. 12 R.W. Jul 27th, 2009 at 9:18 am

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!! Thank you for taking on this topic….

13. 13 Patrick Aug 3rd, 2009 at 10:18 am

Barbera d’Alba/Barbera d’Asti and BBQ is a fantastic pairing. Especially with beef and veal. In Piedmont they BBQ a lot and this is what they drink with their meals. Because of the great acidity in Barbera it cuts right through the fattiness in a barbequed meat.

14. 14 Nancy Wright Aug 25th, 2009 at 4:51 am

I like Syrah. It is a great red wine for all occasions.Full body with depth.you must be a red wine lover to really enjoy. I was first tempted to try the Yellow Tail label while in California where it is a wine lovers paradise! You have so many good choices your not sure. I have grown to love the brand, not just the reds. Priced so you can afford without breaking the bank! Try it!

15. 15 Mike Rijken Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:27 am

Dear Nancy Wright,

I am happy to see that you like the grapevarietal Syrah. It is the grape being used to make the red wine in the northern Rhonevalley in France. Now I will nothing say about Yellow Tail White Label Syrah, as a brand and is certainly good value for the money. But i think you have to know that the syrah wines from northern Rhonevalley are more complex than you could ever imagine. Famous names like Cote Rotie, Hermitage, St Joseph. This is where we have to learn that those typical wines from there, are NOT wines for all occasions but gastronomic wines that can age 10,15 and upto 20 years and more.
    But I do agree there is a huge ammount of well made fruity, pretty dark colored Syrah in this world that keeps a lot of BBQ parties going. I do hope to meet you one day with my company Wine Safari in the Rhone valley to make you Syrah more “understandable”.
    Sincere Greetings Mike Rijken Wine Safari

16. 16 paul r Apr 5th, 2010 at 6:18 am

catching up on old podcasts! love those pig photos jay! looks awesome! I agree that this guest did a bunch of name dropping on wine makers without any real evaluation of the wine. i was also a bit put off by how we “should” just experiment and not make pairing an exercise in detailed flavor analysis. having friends who spend lots of time analyzing flavors and what to pair with various foods, i see how they get joy from this detailed analysis. personally i’m more in craig’s camp; drink what u like with food u like. but i certainly honor and respect those who put much more work into their pairing choices.

that said, craig’s enthusiasm and knowledge of bbq was great. it totally made me hungry and fire up the grill (although i was driving at the time). i did come home and braise up a pork shoulder. not bbq, but still…

best.

17. 17 Jay Selman Apr 5th, 2010 at 6:51 am

Perhaps “should” was meant more as an suggestion and less of a instruction. I wonder at times if we at time analyze to the point of losing perspective. I do not wish to be a Vulcan when tasting food/wine. Tasting is an emotional experience as well as a intellectual one.

p.s how is the back?

18. 18 Brian Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:20 am

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!! Thank you for taking on this topic….

19. 19 Dave Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:43 pm