Murcia: Soul of a Land

Welcome to our video podcast: Murcia: Soul of a Land – Video Show #78.

Right Click Here to Download File and iPhone users – Click here to View Video

The Murcia region of Spain attracts millions of tourists every year, mostly for its pristine beaches bathed by the warm Mediterranean climate. But, Murcia is also rightly known for its cuisine – and soon, its wine.

Located in Southeastern Spain, the history of the region alone could account for its gastronomy. The original Iberian tribes formed commercial relationships with the Phoenicians and Greeks, then the region became a Carthaginian colony taken over by the Moors. All of these various influences created a culinary perfusion of stews, salads, and baked meat and rice dishes. Finally, there was the obvious connection to the Mediterranean – which spawned a host of seafood delicacies. However, what would be a Spanish meal without a good wine to accompany it.

Thus far, the wines from Murcia have not been very well-known to the public, yet they are well worth discovering. Murcia is the home of the Monastrell grape variety, also known as Mourvèdre in France and Mataro in Australia. Believed to have been introduced to the Iberian peninsula by the Phoenicians, Monastrell does quite well in the hot arid region, producing a rich and powerful wine. Bodegas dot the wine routes between Bullas, Jumilla and Yecla, and offer plenty of opportunity to the visitor to experience the best the region has to offer.

GrapeRadio is proud to present a brief look at the cuisine, the people, and the wines of Murcia, Spain. Join us for a close-up of this beautiful region, rich in history, respectful of the past, and looking to the future.

Sponsor: Millesima, Fine Wine Merchants: www.millesima-usa.com

23 Responses to “Murcia: Soul of a Land”

1. 1 Eric G Jan 1st, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Wow! I want to go to Spain! I loved the soundtrack music!! I was hoping for a little more specific and technical information about the wines, but I must say I am thoroughly enjoying your website! Great job!

2. 2 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 1st, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Eric,

We will be posting more videos about Murcia in the near future that may address having more wine info.

3. 3 Michael - Amigoni Vineyards Jan 4th, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Jay,
    This was a nicely done video! Wow. Growing Mourvedre/Mataro myself of all places, Missouri, it was fanastic to see old,old vines with lovely bunches. I could spot the leaf configuration and large bunches a mile away. Salute.

Michael

4. 4 GrapeRadio Bunch Jan 4th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Thanks Michael,

In hindsight, I should have brought you back some trouser cuttings.

5. 5 Roland Jan 8th, 2010 at 9:02 am

Hi guys

You know I have been watching your blog for three years now.Always enjoy it.Love the way you make your videos.Just to let you know,it’s important to note that most of the foods from southern europe like mostly spain has it’s roots from Morocco and Algeria.Many of the so called french style of cooking takes it’s roots from north africa,but they don’t want to admitt it today.That’s a little sad because southern europe was controlled before by arabs and then europeans controlled north africa in colonialism.I just hope the french in particular would admitt it.Anyway love your videos.

Roland
    Sommelier

6. 6 Michael O. Jan 28th, 2010 at 9:30 am

Jay and fellows,
    Love Graperadio! This video is spectacular, the music superb. I am always sruck by the light in Spain. I think the grapes from there reflect that, it is as though you are drinking that light. I greatly enjoyed Jay’s musing about the vines piled around that old winery, and the shephard’s pride in his work, do more of that please, Jay. I felt as though I was there in Southeastern Spain, thanks for that. The lemons, the almonds, the olives, the grapes, the herbs, the land, and the people were refreshing. I’ll have a second helping, please!

Michael O
    Partaker of the grape

7. 7 ted Apr 6th, 2010 at 1:03 am

The quality and composition of this video is truly outstanding. From the dramatic scenery to the well-chosen music…It is not the first of the more edited and more elaborate grape radio videos, of course. Bravo to everyone who was involved in making such a beautiful and impressive video!

8. 8 Haugtussa Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:29 am

Thank’s again for a wonderful show!
    I live in Southern Spain,
    so nice to watch Murcia, their food and wine is highly Esteemed!
    Just love your shows and listening to Graperadio!
    xoxo k.

9. 9 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:42 am

If I move to another country when I retire, Spain is my first choice.

10. 10 Haugtussa Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:10 am

Hi Roland,
    I live in Andalucia and We who live here, ove the Arabic influence in our cooking and food,
    We use the same herbs, honey, vegetables etc, and have Couscou’s takehome on Friday’s from Maroccon retaurants.
    Since the food here is so delicious, we never talk about French here….No Infuence what so ever!
    Have been there, done that,4****, fun in France etc.
    The Moore’s brought the Paella north to Valencia, the best place to grow “Bomba” Rice. (sold in small Brown cloth sacks.
    Pimenton,(the authentic one has a smokey flavor and is registered from the region, like vine) Eggplant with blackstrap molasses, peppers etc. yummie…
    Being a Viking myself, but we all treasure the Moorish influences here.
    After all, Cordoba was the Capital/seat of the Moore’s for more than 800 years!
    You are so right,
    We, never think the food here has any French Influence,
    That woud be an insult to the Spanish!
    Just compare the “Caracoles”, The Spanish snails are always big and the French snails, so tiny…..

11. 11 Haugtussa Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:34 am

Ps. sorry about missing some L’s,
    my laptop,,,jumped!

12. 12 Emily May 31st, 2010 at 3:52 am

Jay and fellows,

Michael O
    Partaker of the grape

13. 13 GrapeRadio Bunch May 31st, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for those lovely words. I thougt about removing that part where I was talking about the vines. I assumed I would get teased. However, it represented the way I felt about the magic of the place, so we kept it in. Glad about the decision.

14. 14 Michael Amigoni - Amigoni Urban Winery Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Jay,
    We were thinking of flying into Barcelona, is there a bullet train to Murcia?

Michael

PS we just released the first Missouri Mourvedre, it is selling like crazy!

15. 15 haugtussa Sep 20th, 2010 at 6:35 am

Bullet train from Barcelona to Madrid, yes.
    Also Bullet train between Madrid/Malaga (2,5 hours from Atocha station, centerof Madrid)
    Best to fly from Barcelona or Madrid to Alicante,
    from there drive.
    k.

16. 16 Wine2Three Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Wow that was fabulous! Beautifully shot & edited, a great mix of food, wine, culture & history! Definitely a place I’d love to visit and hear more about! I posted it on my Wine2Three facebook page! :)

17. 17 victor Jan 11th, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Hola , quiero felicitaros por este gran trabajo de los vinos de mi pais, habeis plasmado perfectamente lo dura que es la vida del campo, y lo maravilloso que es toda la diversidad de uvas que existen, con personalidad en toda la region de españa.
    Yo soy Maitre, en un restaurante en madrid, y estoy realizando un curso de sumiller, y me ha encantado.

Thanks, for every, Un abrazo

18. 18 GM Gauge Repair Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Wow that is a beautiful video. Spain looks amazing. I hope to travel there within the next three years.

19. 19 haugtussa Sep 28th, 2011 at 1:59 am

Hi again,
    Just watched Murcia again after a year,
    I can watch this video again and again,
    I Love it!!!
    Thank You!

20. 20 Kate Oct 1st, 2011 at 6:57 am

This video captures the essence of Murcia beautifully. It’s a magical place and it’s good to see it being given the credit it truly deserves.

21. 21 haugtussa Oct 5th, 2011 at 12:23 am

So True!
    Murcia has the richest soil in Spain and producing Quality of wine,citrus and food. It would take too long to describe!
    Soul of the Land describes Murcia’s secret beutifully!
    Thank You again for this beutiful video, it’s a Winner!!!!
    (from somebody living in Southern Spain)

22. 22 Mohsin Mallik Oct 16th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I just can’t remember the name but I have read about Murcia which have a great history. This is one of those historical place where I would love to visit. I really wish to be there once if possible.

23. 23 may loc nuoc Oct 18th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I could spot the leaf configuration and large bunches a mile away.Love the way you make your videos.I just hope the french in particular would admitt it. I am always sruck by the light in Spain. I thougt about removing that part where I was talking about the vines. I hope to travel there within the next three years. The scope of the show is international so expect to hear many guests from around the world.This was my may loc nuoc