One Up

10upsman1main.jpg

Human nature is a funny thing. Many people (but especially guys) really want to appear to be “in-the-know” or always right about numerous things – the business world, politics, cars, sports, restaurants, and of course…wine. Just ask a fellow wine geek about his latest acquisition, and he’ll likely be able to go on for an hour or more telling you all about its rarity, how much it cost, how long he’d been on the list, blah…blah…blah. Soon enough, somebody else in the conversation will have a story that he thinks is even better, “Oh, that’s nothing. Guess what I bought!” From here, the stories grows exponentially as each one drones on about waiting lists, allocations, megabucks, SQN, DRC, etc.

It starts out innocently enough. However, does the conversation ever reach a point where in your opinion it becomes too boastful or boorish? Well, the GrapeRadio crew try to figure this one out. As with many things, there is no one-size-fits-all opinion. But, we’re more than happy to give it a shot.

Sponsor: VinAssure, Wine Preservation System: www.vinassure.com

(29:13min 28MB)

15 Responses to “One Up”

1. 1 Miguel Apr 9th, 2010 at 8:06 am

Wow Gentlemen,

I was very surprised to hear Jay be so hateful but yet I agree with the points that he brought up with people who do wave things in front of you and say ” I’m cool, look at me”

Rustys approach to letting them walk into the minefield is quite ammusing if present for such a set up. I believe I have done that one myself once or twice with strangers.

Eric seem the most calm about picking the battles and trying to encourage conversation about other points. I like this also.

Overall boys, great points of view from people who drink wine on a regular basis. I definitley get tired of people who want to impress and are label kissers.

But the fun is to get them to become your label kissers.

Again great job and keep it up.

2. 2 John A. Martelly Apr 9th, 2010 at 11:24 am

I really loved this show and I’m not blowing congratulatory smoke. This one really hit home.

Jay, you need to relax or Eric is going to give you a timeout. Chainsaw to the knees, WOW.

I think, no matter what your passion is be it wine, food, sports etc. There is always those that need to overcompensate for their short comings, whether educational or PHYSICAL. That being said, if someone wants to prove his manhood by playing the name drop game, I’ll listen for a while. I found being patient and paying close attention, most will tie themselves up in convoluted knots. At this point I will either point out their contradictions or I will climb upon my Mad Dog 20/20 soapbox and tell them why it’s the best wine ever made. They usually walk away.

Luckily, I am still a neophyte in the wine world and I plan on staying that way for a while. I never drank a bottle of wine over $80.00 but I have had quite a few under $20.00. If some knucklehead wants to prove his manhood by showing me how little I know, good for him. My clients are new and first time wine drinkers and my goal is to stay as grounded to that demographic for as long as I can. So brag away bigmouths.

Quick story. I saw a local stand-up comedian a few months ago talk about the difference between how women and men purchase wine. The woman will say;”I found this $100 wine on sale for $50 and then I had a coupon for 50% off and when I got to the register there was a managers special for an added 60% off but come to find out it was a discontinued item with a manufacturers’ rebate, so the sales girl gave it to me for $5.”
    Men say;”See this here bottle of wine? Manufacturer’s suggested retail price, $100.00. I got it for $250.00. Beat that.

As Always, great job.

3. 3 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Wow. I guess I did not come across as my normal, meek, shy, mild-mannered self. :-)

I do think hateful would be strong, but I do have a rather negative thoughts on these type of people. Have no fear, I will be better behaved next time.

4. 4 John A. Martelly Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Don’t worry Jay, we still like ya. Hey, If it makes you feel better, I have in the past name dropped the GrapeRadio Bunch from time to time.

As a matter of fact, that’s going to be my new defense. When ever some mentions “Bob” Parker I’m going to say; Oh yeah. My friends Brian and Jay had dinner with him. Said he was a great guy.

Awesome!

5. 5 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 9th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That does make me feel better. Name drop away.

6. 6 ufpog Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Very interesting discussion and I listen in frequently. I imagine there is a fine line between learning, sharing information, discussing, making friends and just outright bragging. My point of view, is that nothing is off limits in the discussion, I want to learn what others are doing. Let them brag, whatever, who cares. It is a little interesting that you gentlemen feel a need to “take on” a bragger. I think what difference does it make? Either we hit it off and become friends or not. I am looking for common ground, if there is none, then I move on. A little humility will go a long way in this arena.

Scores are not that important, but I think they are just one more piece of information. I have a feeling that there are very few wines above a reputably scored 93 that I will not like, and very few below 84 that I will like. The fun and games are in between.

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Ufpog, the problem with the bragger is that it creates a hostile environment for those not at the same level. Not everyone can has the experience to feel comfortable at their level. It causes people to feel unworthy. The bragger tends to dominate the conversation as a way to elevate their importance. IMHO, that tends to damper free flow of conversation which is not a good thing.

8. 8 ufpog Apr 10th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Good point, Jay. Probably one of the most thought provoking episodes. Good job, guys.

9. 9 John Apr 12th, 2010 at 8:30 am

This discussion was great. This is why blind tastings are the way to go on offlines for those into points. By throwing in a few quality $15 bottles into the mix of $75 bottles it can really show at the end that price is not the end all and of course I have never seen the highest scored wine win a blind offline.

Most of the time they are not in the top 3.

Cheers,

John

10. 10 Simon Apr 25th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Most of the time they are not in the top 3.

Cheers,

John

11. 11 Patrick Apr 26th, 2010 at 5:37 am

As Always, great job.

12. 12 John A. Martelly Apr 27th, 2010 at 3:56 am

RE: Patrick,

I thought I said that?

13. 13 Joseph Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:14 am

14. 14 Tony Apr 28th, 2010 at 12:08 am

Most of the time they are not in the top 3.

Cheers,

John

15. 15 ufpog May 17th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Most of the time they are not in the top 3.

Cheers,